OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

NEED HELP PICKING OUT A SCOPE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAT3622 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NEED HELP PICKING OUT A SCOPE
    Posted: May/19/2009 at 13:01
HELLO I NEED HELP PICKING OUT A "SNIPER SCOPE". I AM TRYING OUT FOR MY SWAT TEAM AS A SNIPER NEXT YEAR AND I HAVE HAD VERY LITTLE "SCOPE TRAINING". MY DADS IDEA WAS THAT IF YOU COULDN'T SHOOT USING "STEEL" THEN YOU DON'T NEED TO SHOOT AT IT..... SO OTHER THAT MY FELLOW LEO'S I HAVE HAD VERY LITTLE TIME BEHIND GLASS WITH ANYONE WHO KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT. SO COULD SOME HELP ME OR GIVE A PLACE TO START????? I HAVE THE RIFLES, I JUST DON'T KNOW WHERE TO START WITH THE SCOPE!!!!!!American Flag
LJ3
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2009 at 14:03
What is your budget?

ILya
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2009 at 14:06
Talk to the snipers on your team and see what they use (rifle, scope, and cartridge), and then try to duplicate it as close as your wallet will allow. You may also want to check out the link for long range shooting at the top of this section.
There is lots of knowledge here, just cruise the threads here and when you have a question, ask away, and ignore Ed.
Welcome to the OT!
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2009 at 14:08
It's Tactical Shooting FAQs. Great info.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
RAT3622 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAT3622 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2009 at 17:33
WELL MY MAX IS ABOUT $500 OR SO!!!!
LJ3
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2009 at 17:37
Originally posted by RAT3622 RAT3622 wrote:

WELL MY MAX IS ABOUT $500 OR SO!!!!

I suppose this is the part where Chris II is going to tell us whether the up and coming variable Super Sniper will fit in that price range  Devil.

That point aside, assuming that for those $500 you need to get the scope along with the bases and mounts, I suggest you get a 10x42 Super Sniper with high quality base and rings.

Which rifle is this going on?

ILya
RAT3622 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAT3622 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2009 at 17:48

HOW DO YOU READ A SCOPE????  I WAS TOLD BY ANOTHER SNIPER I KNOW I SHOULD STAY WITH A 3-9 POWER x40MAX....BUT AS I SAID EARLIER I AM DUMB TO SCOPES SO THIS IS ALL NEW TO ME!!!!!

LJ3
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2009 at 18:02
The 3-9 isthe power of the scope, or the number of times the image is manified. example: if the scope is set on 3x, then the image is magnified 3 times, 9x means the image is magnified 9 times. The scope is a variable, so it can be adjusted in power anywhere between 3 to 9 power. The 40 means that the objective lens (the end that faces the target) is 40mm in diameter, this determines how much light comes into the scope.
Gotta go!
RAT3622 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAT3622 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2009 at 18:19
OK BEING THAT MOST LEO SNIPER SHOTS ARE TAKEN AT NO MORE THAN 100 YARDS ON AVERAGE SHOULD I STAY WITH A VARIABLE SCOPE SO THAT I HAVE THE OPTION TO "TURN DOWN THE POWER"?????? BEING THAT THE IMAGE IS ENHANCED 3 TO 9 TIMES WILL THAT CHANGE THE VIEW OF YOUR SHOT AT SAY CLOSER TARGETS I.E. 25 TO 50 YARDS????
LJ3
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2009 at 18:30
The scope I recommended is a fixed power one with 10 times magnification.  It is not as versatile as a good 3-9x, but it is a very well made scope that is right in your price range.

If you want a 3-9x40, there are a lot of good hunting scope available in your price range, but they typically have hunting reticles.  However, for your application you probably want a somewhat different reticle, like the Mil-Dot.  On the other hand, if you do not plan to shoot long range with it, perhaps it does not matter.

If you can extend your price range a bit a Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x40 with MilDot is an excellent choice.  Perhaps Trijicon has a LE discount, but I am not sure about that.

The variable Super Sniper that Chris II referred to earlier is not here yet, so I have no idea what the price will be like.

Of the less expensive 3-9x or similar scopes, there are a few options with MilDot reticle:

Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x42 with MilDot
Weaver Grand Slam Tactical 3-10x40 with MilDot

If the shots are all taken at a fairly close range, then you do not necessarily need a long ranging reticle like the MilDot and the options expand considerably:

Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9x40
Sightron S2 BigSky 3-9x42
Vortex Viper 3-9x40

At closer ranges, having variable magnification is generally quite helpful, since lower magnification gives you wider field and better depth of field.

ILya
RAT3622 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAT3622 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2009 at 19:04

OK HERE IS ONE FOR YOU WHAT DOES THE THE DOTS ON A MIL-DOT SCOPE MEAN WHEN YOU SEE A PIC THAT  SAYS STANDARD ON ONE SIDE AND MAG. ON THE OTHER??? IS THAT THE ROUND......?????Troll

LJ3
RAT3622 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAT3622 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2009 at 19:13
HERE IS WHAT I WAS LOOKING AT!!!! BEING THAT I HAVE 5 DIFFERENT CALIBERS TO CHOSE FROM OF MY OWN AND AFTER WHAT HAD ALREADY BEEN SAID HERE I WAS TOLD THAT I NEED TO BE ABLE TO MAKE 8 OUT OF 10 AT THE x ON A 5.5 TARGET AT A MIN. OF 250 YARDS TO MAKE THE TEAM. I HAVE AN OLD BUSHNELL ON A OLD WINCHESTER MODEL 70 7MM THAT I HAVE PRACTICING WITH AT 250 YARDS I HAVE BEEN ABLE TO MAKE 8 OR 9 OUT OF 10. BUT AS I SAID THAT IS WITH AN OLD SCOPE THAT A BUDDY OF MINE HELPED ME SET AND IT IS SO WORN OUT THAT YOU CAN'T EVEN READ THE # ON THE DIALS...... SO AGAIN THIS IS WHAT I WAS LOOKING AT....WHAT DO YOU THINK???? 

Nikon 4-16x50 Monarch Riflescope

Nikon 4-16x50 Monarch Riflescope

Specifications
Weight (oz): 19.4

BDC

Length (in): 19.4
Eye Relief (in): 4 - 3.7
Field of View @ 100 yards (ft): 25.2 - 6.3
Exit Pupil (mm): 12.5 - 3.1
MOA: 1/4
Parallax Setting (yds): 50 - infinity
LJ3
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2009 at 19:32
                     Fish
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2009 at 19:56
LEU56140 Leupold 4.5-14x40 Mark 4 LR/T 30mm Riflescope                                                                           Leupold 4.5-14x40 Mark 4 LR/T 30mm Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Duplex
  • 30mm
  • Long Range
  • Side Focus
  • Target Knobs
SWFA: $724.95
More Info...
LEU66815 Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope                                                                                            Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Wide Duplex
  • 1"
  • Xtended Twilight Lens System
SWFA: $379.95
More Info...
SS10X42 SWFA SS 10x42 Tactical Riflescope                                                                                       SWFA SS 10x42 Tactical Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Rear Focus
  • OK for .50 cal
  • 1/4 MOA
SWFA: $319.95
More Info... Buy Now
800362 New Weaver 3-15x50 Tactical Rifle Scope                                                                                 New Weaver 3-15x50 Tactical Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Side Focus
SWFA: $649.95
More Info... Buy Now
TR232G New Trijicon 5-20x50 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope                                                                        New Trijicon 5-20x50 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot Crosshair w/ Green Dot
  • 30mm
SWFA: $1,019.95
More Info...

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2009 at 19:57
Get Your Popcorn Ready
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
RAT3622 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAT3622 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2009 at 20:12
HEY THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THE HELP!!!!! I HAVE A FEW QUESTIONS FOR YOU, WHICH WOULD YOU BUY TO START WITH??? I HAD LOOKED AT THE  SWFA SS 10x42 Tactical Riflescope BUT AFTER LOOKING AT WHAT YOU SAID ABOUT THE LEOPOLD FX3 I AM LEANING MORE TOWARD THAT!!!! I LOOKED AT THE TRIJICON, BUT DO THINK BEING THAT I AM JUST STARTING OUT THAT MAY BE A LITTLE MUCH OR IS THAT WHAT I SHOULD BE LOOKING AT????
LJ3
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2009 at 21:09

I like the Trijicon more than the Leupold, but that's just me.

If this is on a rifle for learning, both will do what you want done.

If this is on a duty rifle, I'd look at things differently.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2009 at 21:18
LEU56140 Leupold 4.5-14x40 Mark 4 LR/T 30mm Riflescope                                                                           Leupold 4.5-14x40 Mark 4 LR/T 30mm Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Duplex
  • 30mm
  • Long Range
  • Side Focus
  • Target Knobs
SWFA: $724.95
This is the one that everyone will accept as = you know what you are doing,  even though it doesnt have the mil dot reticle that cost about a hundred more.  But the glass on the FX3 will be better and you can get M1 tactical knobs just like the more expensive Mk4 tacticals, however you loose the wide range of powers to select from so its probably worth going to the 4.5-14 if you can afford the cost.
While the Weaver and the SS variable are unknown they are also close to your price range.
The Trijicon is by far the most gunfight worthy optic of the crowd with the post style reticle and almost as good with the mil dot.  It is unconventional but will be accepted because of the success of the ACOG Military optics. Traditional Law Enforcement uses Mil Dot reticles but most guys dont use the darn reticle except the center as they range find with a laser range finder.  I told Trijicon they should have based the tactical off their 2.5-10x56 but even with a low end of 5x it is very functional and exceptionally deadly at night when other scopes croak.  The mil dot version of the Trijicon comes with either an amber or green dot and the green is appears brighter to the eye. Bow sights often have green fiber optic as well as amber and red so look at the colors and see what you like. I find the amber is exceptional for anything except looking toward a street light at night which washes it out to some degree, in a predominately green wooded enviroment I would want a contrasting color but my bow sight has a green pin and it works in the woods.  Most Law Enforcement Snipers will be using Leupold those with more money will be using Nightforce  S&B  Heinsold and U.S. Optics and Premier all of which are more costly. Repeatable accuracy is what you are after.  Even the FX3 with M1 tactical knobs would be an exceptional choice and at a very reasonable price.  If either of the Weaver Tactical or Super Sniper Variable were available I'd say they would be a fine choice but the average LE shot is about 70 yds. When you think about power range think 60 yds with a 6 power scope is like 10 yds open sights.  90 yds with a 6 power scope is like 15yds open sights.  The 42mm objective divided by 6 power gives a 7mm exit eye pupil  which is as bright as a young man with great vision can possibly use --  Bright Optic in Low Light.   What I caution you not to do is to select a "hunting " type optic that does not have tactical knobs. Sightron SIII scopes would be an OK choice also.  If you decide to take the least expensive way out with a fixed 6x or fixed 10x you will still be OK because you are looking for head shots but by far the most deadly rapidly deployable system is the Trijicon  post even if the lines do look a little odd from time to time they dont affect the triangle and it is the aiming point.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2009 at 21:20

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - May/19/2009 at 21:21

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
huff143 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huff143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2009 at 23:12

Like Wes, I like this choice:

LEU66805 Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope                                                                                            Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope
  • Gloss
  • Duplex
  • 1"
  • Xtended Twilight Lens System
SWFA: $379.95
More Info...

Buy it, send it to Leupold for M1 target knobs, and for a total of 499.93 (less shipping) you have a great setup.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic