OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Old friends

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2009 at 13:12
It appears the bantamine Bar gets for pain causes her to go off her food for several hours.  We gave her the pain killer again this morning before she ate and she refused food, I waited a couple of hours, gave her the grain, and she ate just fine.  She is moving around well... I BELIEVE she is getting better.  
As for legal issues... just don't know.  Everyone I have spoken to says that Alabama takes the approach that anyone who hits livestock is at fault.  I don't think I would have a real problem anyway since they were spooked by someone else's fireworks.  There are only a few houses below, so the guilty would be easy to find, I think.  The policeman hinted he thought the woman might be pushing some injury case, but the damage to her vehicle is negligable, he said she did not appear to be injured and was wearing a seatbelt, and, I think, the horse will survive.  Hard to believe there is much injury to someone INSIDE the vehicle that hit the horse and the horse didn't die.  My thought is Bar is going to be OK.  Danged expensive so far, though.  Over $1k for vet visit and followups... puts my next project on hold a bit, but I am ecstatic that Bar seems to be recovering well.
She is much more important than some "piece of kit" as the Aussies would say.  
Right now, I am pretty grateful and happy... God is good and answers prayers and I am thankful.  If it had not happened at all, of course I would be happier, but not bad, considering.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2009 at 13:28
Originally posted by Ed Connelly Ed Connelly wrote:

Dang Noisy ass Fireworks.  I don't like 'em.  Fire Hazard.  People get hurt.  Noise.  And now frightened animals.....and an accident.   Thumbs Down

Me too.

Night two of medicating our Akita really sucked. Three years of watching him go absolutely nuts on the 4th of July forced us to try this route. Yesterday I left the garage open like I usually do and went in the house for a few minutes. Our dog never wanders through the garage, from the back yard to the front, but yesterday he did looking for me. Our neighbor called shortly after saying that they had him. When I went to retrieve our dog, I found him confused and drooling at the mouth. Like yesterday, he'll be lethargic most of day. I'm thinking next year we're going to have to do find another solution.

Hope Bar's doing better today KB and that the woman (driver) is a reasonable person.

“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2009 at 13:45
Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

Dang Noisy ass Fireworks.  I don't like 'em.  Fire Hazard.  People get hurt.  Noise.  And now frightened animals.....and an accident.   Thumbs Down

Me too.

Night two of medicating our Akita really sucked. Three years of watching him go absolutely nuts on the 4th of July forced us to try this route. Yesterday I left the garage open like I usually do and went in the house for a few minutes. Our dog never wanders through the garage, from the back yard to the front, but yesterday he did looking for me. Our neighbor called shortly after saying that they had him. When I went to retrieve our dog, I found him confused and drooling at the mouth. Like yesterday, he'll be lethargic most of day. I'm thinking next year we're going to have to do find another solution.

Hope Bar's doing better today KB and that the woman (driver) is a reasonable person.

Mike, I had a friend in Kalifornia who raised Akita's.  He said they, like Samoyed's (I had a pack of those) are highly susceptible to explosive noises.  My Sammy's would actually cover thier ears with their paws and howl like crazy.  Fred would not let his Akita's outside on any holiday with fireworks. That is a REALLY pretty Akita.  Hope he is OK, now.

This is the first time my horses have gotten so upset.  Someone set a big bunch off right on the edge of my property, much closer than in the past.  I think it was the repetitive noise that spooked them.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2009 at 17:44
KB, have your horses been around gunfire much?  If they have, the sound should not bother them, but the flashes and lights probably would.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2009 at 21:42
Drew,
 They have been around gunfire, in that I shoot on my property a lot, but they HATE it.  Never seem to get used to it.  My CO2 pellet pistol will cause them to spook.  I am convinced it was the noise.  It was pretty loud, that is why we checked on them and found them gone so quickly.  Got to where Bar was hit only seconds after it happened.  
  She IS healing, we thank you all for your prayers.  I have high confidence, given no cholic or other devastating aftereffect, she is going to be OK.  She is eating pretty well, all functions seem to be OK, but she is, of course, very sore.  

Edited by Kickboxer - July/05/2009 at 22:02

billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2009 at 21:57
Glad to hear the upbeat news, KB, please keep us informed.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2009 at 22:03

In HIGH agreement.  This is one function sports events, city, state and federal governments do better than the "general populace".   

helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2009 at 23:22
Glad Bar is getting better.

Here are a couple of pics of the my friends I spent the weekend with.  (I forgot to take the camera on the ride, and missed some great pics up in the mountains.  Even had a coyote 40 yards away, which is now dead. Big Smile)

This is my mustang Roy.  Best horse I know.  I would be very upset if he got hit by a car.

Sam (black, he is a registered paint) and Roy

Billy (mustang), and Ollie

Mister ( 17 hands, 1800 lbs), Ranger (16 hands, 1700 lbs), Sam, Billy, Roy, Ollie, and Blaze is hiding behind Mister.

Edited by helo18 - July/05/2009 at 23:23

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2009 at 06:31
Great pictures... how did you get them to line up for the last one??? 

helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2009 at 07:44
Must just be a pack string habit for them.  Actually I think it was just the storm coming through and they were turning their butts to the wind.  We got off the mountain that day just before a big thunderstorm.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2009 at 18:55
Well, Bar is not doing as well today.  I got home and she could hardly walk.  Vet came back out, gave her a shot of steroids and steroid pills.  It will be touch and go for the next few days.  Her neck swelled up about 3x its normal size.  I fear for her, now.  Turns out Classy got hit too... her whole right side is swollen.  

mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2009 at 18:59
Prayers will be sent tonight.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2009 at 19:01
Thank you, prayers are much appreciated.

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2009 at 21:35
Bar is still hanging in.  Seems to be improving, but still not safe.  Classy appears to be OK, though a bit sore.  I've been spending more time in the barn than in the house.  

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2009 at 20:41
We took the horses for a walk today.  Classy is pretty much OK, Bar made it through the walk, but is still very shakey.  Part of it was she has been standing up in one spot for the last 8 days, but I think healing is going to be very slow.  She is recovering, but she is not "out of the woods", yet.  

JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2009 at 22:07
Glad to hear your horses are doing better!Smile
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/15/2009 at 06:06
Good to hear it Dan!  She is no spring chicken so I would anticipate a slow recovery.  Sounds like she has made it through the golden week.  As long as she doesn't get any bowel obstructions I think she will recover fully!  Making sure she gets a little exercise everyday is important at this point!

Take care
B
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2009 at 20:20
Bar has to go back on steroids tomorrow.  Her improvement has slowed significantly.  I thought they took her offf too soon, but she was doing well.  She is fine standing in the corral, but her movement has regressed.  Steroids... I love 'em.  

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2009 at 21:07
Steriods do help.  Reduce swelling and infamation and helps the joints!
Just don't tease her if she grows a beard!
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2009 at 13:14
The steroids appear to be working... Bar is having her best day since 5Jul.  The swelling in her neck is down to a knot, her balance is much better... we walked her around for about 30 minutes and never showed a sign she might fall, much steadier on her feet.  AND, she grazed for about 10 minutes.  That is a real accomplishment.  She could not bend that far without me having to hold her up before today.  (ever tried holding up a 1000lb horse whose legs had gone out from under her?)  While she still has a way to go, I am now at a "concerned" level... no longer fearful.  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic