OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

czech BRNO vz24 mauser...worth 250$$$?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlv2k5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: czech BRNO vz24 mauser...worth 250$$$?
    Posted: May/26/2009 at 17:04
So I am in the market for an old milsurp rifle to use as a project gun/rainy day deer rifle, and I have decided to look for a good specimen of the many mauser 98 variations. I plan on doing any refinishing work etc that is needed myself. Obviously, since I plan on altering the gun from its original condition various collector concerns such as all matching numbers etc are not a necessity, although they would be nice. I originally had a K98k in mind, but it seems that for a shooter/project gun its not worth it to spend the extra money for a high quality k98 and the lower priced ones seem very heavily used. With that said, I found Czech BRNO vz24 in what appeared to be very good condition at a local gunshop today. My question is (Haha it seems I have gotten a bit longwinded here) does anyone have anything particularly good or bad to say about these rifles...and is 250 reasonable or should I keep looking?
-Michael
seahawk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seahawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2009 at 17:24
It is a well made gun. It is wholesaling for $140 right now. If you custom order one you should be able to get it for $175 including shipping and a dealer transfer. $250 is not unreasonable considering inventory cost and overhead, but you can probably do a little better.
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2009 at 17:30
Why not just buy a bare action?  That way you don't have to pull off parts.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2009 at 19:02
One of the best.     Grab it.  
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
mlv2k5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlv2k5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2009 at 21:19
Seahawk, thanks for the info. What sites were you mentioning where it could be ordered for around 175$? I looked at auctionarms and samco, but I have heard it can take months and months to see your firearm after purchasing through samco-I dunno how much truth there is to this. The gun looked to be in good shape and the bore seemed very good. I would almost be willing to pay a few extra bucks for the convenience and the ability to go and inspect the actual firearm, buy it, and be able to take it home that day. However, I am a little skeptical of the price. This is the only gunshop we have within a 30-45 minute drive and I feel like they might be taking advantage of that by marking up much of there merchandise. For example, when I was there today I found my old Ruger M77 II which I sold to them a while back. They wouldn't give me more than 300$ for the gun, and they had it on the shelf for 525$. I only paid a little over 600 for it brand new and I had to epoxy the front swivel stud in place because the threads were completely stripped.
-Michael
Clark View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2009 at 23:19
I just got some VZ24 7mm Brazilian rifles in March 2009 that cost me $150 out the door of the kitchen FFL.

I have been sporterizing them.

I got some 1908 DWM Brazilian Mausers in 7mm in May 2009 for $121 out the door.
I am sporterizing those.

I got some VZ24s at BIG5 in 2002 for $76 out the door.
I have been sporterizing those.
mlv2k5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlv2k5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2009 at 00:54
Clark, sounds like your havin better luck than me! Maybe I'll keep looking for a while.
-Michael
mlv2k5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlv2k5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2009 at 13:11
Just ran across a website called gunsnammo.com-they dont have any M98s at the moment, but they had some nice looking Mosins that would certainly fit the bill for a fun little project rifle to restore and tinker with. Anybody dealt with them? good...bad...indifferent...?
-Michael
Clark View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2009 at 15:16
The ones I get now have bad bores. The ones several years ago had some good bores.

Right now, I am throwing away the stocks and barrels, welding the bolts, drilling and tapping milling the shroud for a Wisner safety, etc.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic