OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Hands-on with Kowa Genesis 8x33?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuck danger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hands-on with Kowa Genesis 8x33?
    Posted: June/03/2009 at 00:31
Anyone been hands on with the Kowa Genesis 8x33 and care to share?  Their spotting scopes using Prominar XD lenses get such great reviews that I'm keenly interested in these binoculars.  I've been looking closely at the Swarovski 8x32 EL's and the Leica Ultravid 8x32's, but the price is a little high for me (although the Leica's on the Sample List are calling me).  If the Prominar lenses are everything everyone seems to think they are, the Kowa's look like a really great binocular.  I do like the Swaro EL bodies though, so I would have to hold the Kowa's before buying, but still-  they look like great glass.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2009 at 12:59
Koshkin here at OT has seen/used one and had very positive things to say about it.  I have no doubt it's a very good binocular. 
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2009 at 00:13
I have only seen it briefly, but it looked very good.

If I get through my current backlog of reviews in reasonable time, I will try to get my hands on one and write a review.

ILya

JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2009 at 11:43
Koshkin, ever looked through a Kowa TSN Prominar 663/664 spotter?  What's your fave 65mm class glass?  Thanks.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2009 at 12:41
Originally posted by JGRaider JGRaider wrote:

Koshkin, ever looked through a Kowa TSN Prominar 663/664 spotter?  What's your fave 65mm class glass?  Thanks.

I've looked through the Kowa 664 ED spotter and it is very nice.  As for my favourite 65mm glass, that depends on what purpose you need it for.  The 65mm spotter that I chose for myself is Pentax PF65ED.  It is good for the money and I really like Pentax XW eyepieces.

If money is no object, I think that Zeiss 15-45x65 FL spotter is the best one in my opinion.  Most top end spotters are very close in quality, but I think that 15-45x is the best allround magnification range for a 65mm spotter.

As a side note, if you are looking for the best low light performance in a compact spotter, Optolyth's collapsible 15-45x80 spotter is worth a look.

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic