OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Rugged Budget Scopes?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2009 at 21:33

In a side-by-side test of an SII Big Sky and a VX-II (not III) a couple of months ago the Sightron was a definite second best. I know a lot of people would argue with that, but this was with a chart after dark, with both scopes set on 6x.

I have shot FFII's on rifle up to .300 Weatherby (and using bullets up to 200 grains at 3000 fps) with no problem. Have also shot a LOT of prairie dogs with them at long range, and done the chart-test. They are surprisingly good optically.

Personally, I would go with whichever scope mentioned I could get cheapest, since the point of this post was budget.

1911man View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1911man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2009 at 22:28
Bushnell 4200s are just awesome, the 3-9x40 is a best buy, but I like the 2.5-10x40 better myself.

I just started using a Burris 2.5-10x50 Fullfield II and so far am very impressed with it. With only 100 rds of .308 down range I can't comment on durability, but the features and glass is great.

Based on my past experience I'd choose between the Bushnell 4200, Burris FF II or the Nikon Primos. I've had good luck with all three. I have never even seen a Sightron so just can't comment.

I like the std duplex and firefly on the Bushnell, but like the BDC reticles on the Burris and Nikon the better than Bushnell. But I'm a thick bold reticle guy too......................
Bill Wilson
www.wilsoncombat.com
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2009 at 00:31
Bushnell 3-9x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope Bushnell 3-9x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope
Stock # - 423944M
  • Matte
  • Multi-X
  • 1"
  • Rainguard
$299.95 
Add Bushnell 3-9x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope to Cart 

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - June/12/2009 at 00:31

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
hunter12345 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2009 at 08:47
The Weaver Classic Extreme is a great scope still on sale for under $300,original MSRP over $900.For what you can buy this scope for is the best deal going.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2009 at 09:56
Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

I don't know how durable the Nikon and Sightron scopes are that are being mentioned here, but, I can tell you that if durability is what you are looking for you will have a very hard time finding a more durable variable than a 4200. And yes, I am speaking from experience having owned 6 4200's. Ditto on the glass.

I agree 100%.  The elite 4200 on my Finnbear 30-06 is fantastic optically and very tough.  I'd take it over a SII, Leupy, or Monarch any day.  At $299 it's an absolute steal.
wshive View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wshive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2009 at 22:55
Originally posted by hunter12345 hunter12345 wrote:

The Weaver Classic Extreme is a great scope still on sale for under $300,original MSRP over $900.For what you can buy this scope for is the best deal going.

hunter, where do you see it on sale for $300? I can't find it anywhere for less than $500. Perhaps you mean a different Weaver line?

I was kinda set on the Burris FFII, but the 4200 seems to be getting a lot of nods as well. So here's the question:

FFII 3-9x40 for $160 (after rebate) or the 4200 Elite 3-9x40 for $240? FFII seems like the deal here...
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2009 at 23:17
I'd invest the extra and go 4200 Elite.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2009 at 00:27
Originally posted by John Barsness John Barsness wrote:

In a side-by-side test of an SII Big Sky and a VX-II (not III) a couple of months ago the Sightron was a definite second best. I know a lot of people would argue with that, but this was with a chart after dark, with both scopes set on 6x.

I have shot FFII's on rifle up to .300 Weatherby (and using bullets up to 200 grains at 3000 fps) with no problem. Have also shot a LOT of prairie dogs with them at long range, and done the chart-test. They are surprisingly good optically.

Personally, I would go with whichever scope mentioned I could get cheapest, since the point of this post was budget.

I'd definitely disagree with that, John.  You must have the worst luck with the S2 Big Sky, since I have not heard anyone make that assessment yet.

My mileage with the S2 Big Sky has been entirely different.  I am now wrapping up with a review of the S2 Big Sky 6-24x42 Silhouette scope and it is very good (used it earlier today).

In Sightron's line-up, S2 is positioned as a direct competitor for VX-II, and my practice, compares well with it.  S2 Big Sky is a fair bit better.

As far as the original question goes, for $200, you are not going to be able to do better than S2 3-9x42.  If you can spend a bit more, Elite 4200 3-9x40 is certainly a better scope.

ILya
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2009 at 00:55
One other thought on this is that Leupold has some fixed 6 power scopes that have long range duplex which has two hold over marks below center so you could zero at 200 and have hold over for 300 and 400. The 30-06 is quite capable of those distances for deer.  I have the FX3  6x42  As far as my experience nothing beats a fixed power for durability.
Leupold 6x36 FX-II Riflescope Leupold 6x36 FX-II Riflescope
Stock # - LEU63085
  • Matte
  • Long Range Duplex
  • 1"
  • Multi-Coat 4 Lens System
$309.95 
Add Leupold 6x36 FX-II Riflescope to Cart
Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope
Stock # - LEU66820
  • Matte
  • Long Range Duplex
  • 1"
  • Xtended Twilight Lens System
$409.95

Add Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope to Cart 

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - June/14/2009 at 00:56

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
hunter12345 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2009 at 21:24
I agree with Koshkin,I own many Sightron S2 and find them to be better than the Leupold VX-II.Sightron has the best warranty in the business.The S2 Big Sky is in my opinion as good as the Zeiss Conquest.
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Originally posted by John Barsness John Barsness wrote:

I'd definitely disagree with that, John.  You must have the worst luck with the S2 Big Sky, since I have not heard anyone make that assessment yet.

My mileage with the S2 Big Sky has been entirely different.  I am now wrapping up with a review of the S2 Big Sky 6-24x42 Silhouette scope and it is very good (used it earlier today).

In Sightron's line-up, S2 is positioned as a direct competitor for VX-II, and my practice, compares well with it.  S2 Big Sky is a fair bit better.

As far as the original question goes, for $200, you are not going to be able to do better than S2 3-9x42.  If you can spend a bit more, Elite 4200 3-9x40 is certainly a better scope.

ILya
wshive View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wshive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2009 at 02:41
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

One other thought on this is that Leupold has some fixed 6 power scopes that have long range duplex which has two hold over marks below center so you could zero at 200 and have hold over for 300 and 400. The 30-06 is quite capable of those distances for deer.  I have the FX3  6x42  As far as my experience nothing beats a fixed power for durability.

I'm definitely not opposed to the idea of a fixed scope, and I understand it would be more rugged, but at 6x, is the magnification really to be enough for, say a 300yd shot? Also, at 50yds would it be too high?

By the way, not to be picky, but when you guys mention that you think X scope is better than Y scope, are you talking optics or durability?

Just to reiterate, I'm looking for something rugged than can hold zero and is repeatable first and foremost (unless there's really a big difference in optics). Optics are important but secondary. (Blaslphemy on these boards, I know!)

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2009 at 08:02
     Thunbs Up     NOT blasphemy at all!  Many members here,including myself under certain circumstances, place the other factors of a scope over the optics.  We try our best to be open minded here so we can best serve OT visitors and potential as well as repeat SWFA customers. That being said,that FX3 6x42 is a heck of a scope.  I've made 300+yd shots using my 4x El Paso Weaver w/no problems.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2009 at 08:33

wshive,

http://swfa.com/Nikon-3-9x40-ProStaff-Riflescope-P6272.aspx

This is a great scope for the money. My uncle has this on a Remington adl 700 30-06 and it works great. He beats it around pretty good hunting and shooting and it has kept a zero and the BDC is dead on out to 500yards with a 168gr VLD Berger. The glass is nice and clear and the weight of the scope is great it is not too heavy and not to light. It also has a good amount of eye relief. I think it is a perfect scope for a hunting rifle it is good in wooded areas and still allow you to use the BDC in a bean field if need be.

Don't let the small price tag fool you.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2009 at 09:52

wshive,

I've hunted with fixed 6x scopes for several decades now. For general big game hunting there isn't any problem with shots at 300 yards, in fact I have used them out to well over 400 yards with no problem. Of course individual eyesights varies.

At the low end I have killed running deer at 20-25 yards with fixed 6's. A typical modern 6x has a field of view at 25 yards of 4-5 feet, and very few deer are longer than that. So any warnings you hear about a "scope full of hair" when shooting deer at 50 yards with a fixed 6x are simple BS.

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2009 at 10:12
With 6x a 300 yard shot is only going to look like it is 50 yards away.  Shooting big game, that should not be a problem at all.  But if you get a 3-9x then you have the best of both worlds. 

I have a couple 4200s, they are very nice scopes.  I also have a Sightron big sky and it is also a very nice scope and very tough, it survived 40 heavy rounds with a 45-70 no problem. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
wshive View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wshive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2009 at 14:10
Hmm... okay will think about a 6x... just don't wanna end up regretting it and wishing I had that extra 9x!

John, been following your posts on binoculars, and I just ordered a pair of Leupold Cascade Porros thanks to your input. Hopefully they'll serve me well. :)

John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2009 at 15:24
Let me know how theyw ork out for you. I think they're one of the better bargains on the market, even compared to some of the most recent roof prism models.
jetwrnch View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetwrnch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2009 at 03:36
How 'bout the $300 Zeiss Conquest? Seems like a real deal and if you get the 4x you've eliminated the erector assembly as a potential failure point. Not a lot you can't do with a fixed 4.
wshive View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wshive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2009 at 04:23
Originally posted by jetwrnch jetwrnch wrote:

How 'bout the $300 Zeiss Conquest? Seems like a real deal and if you get the 4x you've eliminated the erector assembly as a potential failure point. Not a lot you can't do with a fixed 4.

Appreciate the suggestion, but I think that's crawling a bit past my price range. I'd really like to keep it in the $150 to $200 range (internet prices, of course!)

That said, I would really like to be sold on a fixed scope, but I'm a bit scared to commit to just one magnification. Seems like for my purposes, the debate would be between 4x or 6x. Which one would I "regret" less? (Yes, someone please tell me, seriously.) Or perhaps I should just split the difference and get a 2-6 or 2-7? I know I'm flip-flopping on this subject, but I'm having a tough time trying to "predict" what I'm going to need given my absense practical experience.

Also, does a 2-7 have few lenses/pieces than a 3-9 than a 4-12 thereby making the 2-7 inherently easier to make durable? Am I right to assume that the number of moving parts is the primary factor affecting scope durability (quality control being equal)?
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2009 at 06:53
Originally posted by Bigdaddy0381 Bigdaddy0381 wrote:

wshive,

http://swfa.com/Nikon-3-9x40-ProStaff-Riflescope-P6272.aspx

This is a great scope for the money. My uncle has this on a Remington adl 700 30-06 and it works great. He beats it around pretty good hunting and shooting and it has kept a zero and the BDC is dead on out to 500yards with a 168gr VLD Berger. The glass is nice and clear and the weight of the scope is great it is not too heavy and not to light. It also has a good amount of eye relief. I think it is a perfect scope for a hunting rifle it is good in wooded areas and still allow you to use the BDC in a bean field if need be.

This has your name all over it.
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic