OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

need a good scope for a low price

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Srelliknomlas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: need a good scope for a low price
    Posted: April/17/2004 at 23:56
i am looking for a good scope  that can handle a   300 wsm IM shooting target  at 100-200 yards but not  for comp. or anything problem is funds  are low i was looking at the Leatherwood Expert 6.5-20x44 A/O is this a good scope. have you guys hear of a  Mueller and is that a good scope
4-16 x 50 AO
Tomac View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2004 at 08:14
acerimusdux View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acerimusdux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2004 at 14:48
I'd suggest buying a well known brand carried by major scope retailers. If you're buying an unknown brand being reviewed by people no one has ever heard of, you're probably not really saving money. In that case, if the company has no reputation to stand on, you have only their marketing to go by; though it could turn out to have been a good up and coming company, that's usually a bad risk. And in this case, I have doubts even about the marketing. Is this really two different pictures? If you can't afford the $150 for the Simmons 44 mag, I'd suggest either:

a> Wait until June for the Simmons Whitetail Classic (around $100 from this site).

b> Look at quality scopes in lower magnification that you can afford rather than questionable quality higher magnification. Remember, the target through a 20x scope is only 1.25 times as big as through a 16x scope. That is, the difference between the 16x and 20x at 150 yards is about the same as the difference between 1.25X and no scope at 15 yards. The first 10x magnification makes the target 10 times as large. But 20x is only 2X as big as 10x. Even at long range, you'll be more accurate with quality optics and repeatable adjustments in a good 4-12x than using a less well made 6-18 or 6.5-20 for the same price.

C> If you must have higher magnification at a price near $100, consider offerings in that range from Simmons (Pro Hunter series) or Bushnell (Banner series) rather than lesser known manufacturers. The optical quality won't be as good as on their higher end lines, but at least you know you're getting decent quality for the price.

Also, even in looking at lower end lines, be aware that the quality of the 4-12x is often superior to the quality of the higher magnification scopes even from the same line. I have heard for example, that the Simmons Pro Hunter in 6-18x, while reasonable for the price, is manufactured in China and not as good a scope as the Pro Hunter 4-12x, made in the Phillipines. I can't confirm the current countries of manufacture (maybe SWFA can), but you may be better off with a 4-12 even it's only $5-$10 more for the higher power. On the other hand, if you are spending in the $250-$400 range, for scopes from manufacturers like Weaver or Nikon, or for the Bushnell Elite series, then go ahead and pay for more magnification if you want it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic