OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Swarovski Habicht PV 6-24x50 P L  vs. TRG42  .338
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Swarovski Habicht PV 6-24x50 P L vs. TRG42 .338

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butthead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Swarovski Habicht PV 6-24x50 P L vs. TRG42 .338
    Posted: June/16/2009 at 00:49
Hey all,

1st post here and appreciate any input you could offer. I recently purchased a TRG-42 in .338 Lapua. It came with a Swarovski Habicht PV 6-24x50 P L mounted on top. The rifle and scope are new, never fired. This is my first .338 so I'm not sure what to expect. The rifle does have a Sako muzzle break on it. I will be using the rifle for punching paper up to 600 yards and the occasional 1000 yard match (if it shoots well). It may make it out to the hunting grounds but unsure at this time (not sure how practical that will be yet).

I know nothing about Swarovski  scopes other than they are supposed to be pretty nice. I have a Nightforce on my .50 cal Windrunner but that is the extent of my experience with "nice glass". My concern is that the scope may not withstand the abuse of the .338  I want to hear what you all have to say before I take it out to break it in and expose this scope to this kind of abuse.
Butthead View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butthead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2009 at 11:49
C'mon guys. This forum seems to have some of the most knowledgable people about optics I've ever seen and not one person has an opinion on this. Swaro fans and enemies please let me hear about it. Just want to make sure I am not making a huge mistake. I would like to keep it on the rifle and add a Swaro to my collection but not at the expense of trashing a $2000 scope.

Thanks,

Butthead
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2009 at 12:10
Well just from the specs from the website I don't think it has near enough elevation or widage adjustment for a long range scope.  I would proabably sell it and get yourself another night force.

Of course with a rifle like that you could add a big slanted base and zero it at 600 yards but it seems silly to me to have a rifle capable of 1 mile shooting and put a scope with that small amount of adjustment on it. 

Magnification 6-24x
Objective lens Ø (mm) 50
Exit pupil Ø (mm) 8.3-2.1
Exit pupil distance (mm) 80
Field of view at m/100 m / ft/1000 yds 6.2-1.8 / 18.6-5.4
Field of view (degrees) 3.5-1
Subjective field of view, apparent (degrees) 23.2
Dioptric compensation (dpt) -3 to +2
Transmission (%) 90
Twilight factor acc. to DIN 58388 17-35
Impact point cord. per click (mm/100 m / in/100 yds) 5 / 0.18
Max. elevation/windage adjustment range (m/100m / in/100 yds) 1,2/0,7 / 43.2/25.2
Parallax correction 50-∞
Objective filter thread M 55x0.75
Length approx. (mm/in) 392 / 15.43
Weight approx. (g/oz) 670 / 23.6
Central tube diameter (mm/in) 30 / 1.18

Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Butthead View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butthead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2009 at 13:37
Thanks ST73,

Given the fact that I dont know how to interpet the stats, how many MOA will this scope provide. Sorry if I sound ignorant but I guess I am in this situation. I really appreciate your input.

On another note:
I need to find someone in SoCal that I can spend some time with at the range who can teach me more about optics. I dont even know much about my Nightforce other then I enter in some data on my ballistic program and it tells me how many clicks to adjust by.

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2009 at 13:57
It only has 43 MOA max elevation and 25 max windage.  That is not very much, that is typical on many hunting scopes.  I would not want a long range scope with less than 70 MOA.  Granted it does not take near as much to reach 1000 yards with a .338 as with a .308, but 1000 yards is really not much with that rifle. 

To reach 1000 yards at 2000 ft elevation you would need about 25 MOA with a 300gr SMK.  In a best case scenario if you mounted it on a flat base you would have half of the 43 available to raise the elevation in the scope.  So you could barely reach 1000 yards with that scope.  Like I said you could mount it on a slanted base to give you more elevation, but that scope is still pretty limited. 

Your NIght Force has over 100 MOA available so it make for a very good longer range scope.

I have no idea is the Swaro would handle the recoil, I don't know why not but who knows.

And even more importantly that scope does not have resetable target turrets which makes it pretty much worthless for a precision rifle scope that you are going to be making adjustments with.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Butthead View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butthead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2009 at 00:46
ST73,

Thanks for translating. Sounds a bit short. Wont be able to use the 300gr SMK either, at 1in12 twist wont be able to keep it stable, Will be using 250gr for now.

Thanks,  

Butthead
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic