OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Target
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need two scopes!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonely Raven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need two scopes!
    Posted: June/19/2009 at 14:15
Greets all! I just found this forum, and SWFA from doing a lot of searching and researching around the intarwebs on scopes.

My fiance and I are looking to join a local gun club and learn to shoot rifles well.

My AR-15 (first rifle) is arriving at my FFL today, and we are picking up a Ruger 10/22 T for my fiance later tonight.

Her goals are to shoot 50yard and 100 yard with her Ruger 10/22.

I'm going to start at 100-200 yards with both iron sights and scope on the AR-15 till I get my skills down well enough to start working out to 600 yards.

Unfortunately our budgets (after the rifles and gun club and accessories and ammo) is very small for our first scopes.  My fiance can only afford around $150 for her 50-100 yard scope, and I'm limited to about $300 for my 100-200yard scope. I'll obviously buy a better scope once I feel my skills are sound enough to shoot out 200+ yards.

Suggestions for our two applications? What's the best bang for the buck in these price range, knowing we are focusing (pun intended) on punching paper??

Thanks in Advance!

The Lonely Raven

Jack of all trades,
Master of None
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2009 at 14:34
Lonely Raven, does your AR 15 have a detatchable handle on the reciever that has the rear sight, or is it a fixed handle like the older models? Ths will make a big difference on the scope because of the cheek weld. If it has a detatchable handle, and is a flat top reciever then the sky is the limit. If it is the old style with a fixed handle, then you will need ascope that attaches to the handle and will be somewhat limited.
Welcome to the O.T.. Lots of info here.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2009 at 14:49
In my opinion if you got an AR with a non detachable handle, just don't bother trying to scope it.  It will never perform the way that is needed.  I have been there and done that and ended up buy a new stripped upper to replace it.

I would take a look at one of these Weaver rim fire scopes for the 10/22.  http://swfa.com/Weaver-Classic-Rimfire-Scopes-C232.aspx

For the AR, I would look at some 3-9x model or a fixed 4x version of something.  Bushnell 3200, 4200.  Sightron S2,  or one of the Leupold Mark AR scopes.  http://swfa.com/Leupold-Mark-AR-Riflescopes-C1837.aspx
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Lonely Raven View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonely Raven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2009 at 16:16
Ahh, I'm sorry, I should totally have specified. Absolutely I went with a flatop!

(Stock Photo)

In the future I'll build an AR (or something better) from scratch for 200-600 yard shooting, but I got such a great deal on this one, I jumped on it! This being my first rifle, I figured I'd rather enjoy my summer shooting the rifle, then trying to find the vary scarce parts.

The Lonely Raven

Jack of all trades,
Master of None
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonely Raven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2009 at 16:20
ST, will a rimfire scope really be good enough and be quality enough for 100 yard target shooting with a Ruger 10/22? Everything I read about the rimfire scopes, is they are just the bottom of the barrel chinese junk. Or are the Weaver ones on a whole nother level?

Also, I noticed you left off the SWFA SS scopes. Is there a reason for that?
The Lonely Raven

Jack of all trades,
Master of None
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2009 at 16:29

HAHA..."Click here"! Excellent
Nice stick, cool screen name and welcome to The OT.     
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2009 at 16:35
Nothing wrong with the SS scopes, I just assumed you would want a variable.  I have a SS 10x on an AR-15 and it is a fine scope.  It sat on my 10-22 for a while and it was a great scope for target shooting with that. 

Those little Weavers are not bad scopes at all.  If you don't like those check out the Bushnell Legend scopes.  Those are great scopes for the money.  I had one on a 45-70 for a while, and now it sits on a .243 and works well.  Problem with them is the parallax might be set to high for a rimfire gun. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2009 at 18:35
 Check out the Appleseed Project if you are wanting to learn the basics of good marksmanship.
 Since you have good iron sights on the AR already, and are apparently only planning on target shooting for the time being, I wouldn't worry about a scope at all for now.
 By the time you've got a thousand rounds through the barrel, you will have a much better idea of what you are going to want in a scope than you do now.
 With a sling and some good instruction, you'll be amazed at how well you will soon be able to shoot even at 600 yards, if your rifle is any good.
 Edited to add link to Appleseed Project:

Edited by RONK - June/19/2009 at 18:44
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonely Raven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2009 at 00:35
Ronk,
I've heard of appleseed, many years ago when I first got into shooting. That's a great idea, thanks!

The Lonely Raven

Jack of all trades,
Master of None
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2009 at 02:44
Aimpoint 9000SC 30mm Red Dot Sight Aimpoint 9000SC 30mm Red Dot Sight
Stock # - 11417
  • Matte
  • 2 MOA Dot
  • 30mm
  • Free Aimpoint Bikini Lens Cover w/ Purchase
$373.95 
Add Aimpoint 9000SC 30mm Red Dot Sight to Cart 
Ask SWFA if it will fit in this mount:
Burris AR-P.E.P.R. 30mm Scope Mount Burris AR-P.E.P.R. 30mm Scope Mount
Stock # - 410341
  • Matte
  • Picatinny Tops
$69.95 
Add Burris AR-P.E.P.R. 30mm Scope Mount to Cart 
You may need the longer version or may need just extra hight 30mm but the one piece would be nice.
Aimpoint 9000L 30mm Red Dot Sight Aimpoint 9000L 30mm Red Dot Sight
Stock # - 11419
  • Matte
  • 2 MOA Dot
  • 30mm
  • Free Aimpoint Bikini Lens Cover w/ Purchase
$373.95 
Add Aimpoint 9000L 30mm Red Dot Sight to Cart 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2009 at 08:56
 Lonely Raven-
 I assumed you have YHM sights as linked, or is that incorrect?

Also, I wasn't trying to talk you OUT of getting a scope, either; the ones suggested by Supertool would be excellent, as would the Aimpoints Urimaginaryfrnd posted, if you don't want magnification.

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonely Raven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2009 at 11:04
Yes, my rifle has the basic YHM BUIS that has two peeps. One for 0-200 and the other for beyond 200.

I just received the rifle yesterday morning, brought it out to show my Dad (it's Fathers Day after all), and he was commenting on how he hasn't held a rifle like that since Vietnam. He was seriously impressed with how far the black rifle has come.

Anywho, I'm thinking about just picking up a SS 16X and being done with it. I've decided that I either need to stretch my budget, or just get what seems reasonable and has a good rep. I just keep getting such mixed suggestions, and the more I read the more I'm distracted/confused. I only have one rifle, so I don't want to buy one scope now, realize it's flaws then buy another in six months...I just can't afford that.

So, to clarify, I believe I'm looking for something with better than 10X power. I'm going to be punching paper and I want to do it accurately. I don't want to buy crap, but I can't afford (stretching my budget here) more than $450.

I need some solid suggestions guys, I'm just so much more confused than when I started...

The Lonely Raven

Jack of all trades,
Master of None
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonely Raven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2009 at 11:05
Imaginary...how are those red dots going to help for the precision target shooting I'm looking to do? Is there a reason you're recommending them?

The Lonely Raven

Jack of all trades,
Master of None
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2009 at 23:46
I've tried a number of different sights on an AR-15 over the years and to me the most user friendly sights were 2moa aimpoints and illuminated trijicon ACOG's.  You really didnt mention anything about desiring to dial in correction originally or if you did I didnt catch it, but if that is the route you prefer you might want to try the 10x Super Sniper witht the 3-9x42 being a better choice yet.  If all you want to do is daylight paper targets the 16 will be fine but if you need to use it in the field the 10x will be a better choice.  Still if you have a 2moa dot that is 2 inches at 100 and 4 inches at 200 and 6inches at 300. since the dot is round and the target is round this works out very nicely.  My thought is if you are shooting over 300 yds .223 is the wrong caliber to start with.  We always qualified with open sights so I think the red dot is still a good choice to help you get better as cheekweld is not an issue.  I actually have a Bushnell 4200 4-16x40 on an AR-15 right now and I am considering very strongly going back to either a 3-9x42 varialbe Super Sniper or a 2moa Aimpoint, The Aimpoint is so user friendly and so fast on target that it is like the right scope for the rifle.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - June/21/2009 at 23:57

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic