OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Too many great choices. IOR, Meopta, Zeiss, Sighr
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Too many great choices. IOR, Meopta, Zeiss, Sighr

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ti-force Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Too many great choices. IOR, Meopta, Zeiss, Sighr
    Posted: June/21/2009 at 14:51

I’m trying to decide on a scope and I’m in need of some opinions from all you very knowledgeable OT members/staff.

This scope will be going on a .30-06 and will be used for whitetail deer and hog hunting. It will be used mostly in low light conditions and I may do my fair share of night hunting for hogs as well.

I live in South Georgia, USA and probably 95% of my shots will be taken within 50 yards (I hunt mostly in the swamp). I’ve got my crosshairs on a few different scopes and I’m open to any and all opinions and suggestions.

Here are the scopes I’ve got my eye on as well as explanations for my dilemma:

The first two scopes are IOR:

IOR 4x32 with the 4A reticle (most of the reading I’ve done suggests this is a great riticle for low light conditions). http://swfa.com/IOR-4x32-Hunting-Rifle-Scope-P6742.aspx

IOR 6x42 (also with the 4A reticle). http://swfa.com/IOR-6x42-Hunting-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P2149.aspx

Both of these scopes rank higher on the riflescope rating scale than any of the other scopes I’m looking at but I've read about durability and customer service problems. Does this include the fixed power scopes as well?

The price for the 4x32 is $359.95 (from swfa). The price for the 6x42 is $594.95 (also swfa), which brings me to my first dilemma:

Price vs objective size: I’ve done a lot of reading about objective size and from what I’ve gathered, the objective size really only matters at high magnification as long as glass quality is good. If my math is correct, the exit pupil for the 4x32 would be 8mm and the 6x42 would be 7mm. Would it really be worth it to spend $235 more for the 6x42?

The Zeiss Conquest 4x32 is on my list but it’s only available with the Z-Plex reticle. I’m not sure if that reticle would be sufficient for low light use. Although it is cheaper than the previously mentioned scopes at $299.95 http://swfa.com/Zeiss-4x32-Conquest-Rifle-Scope-P6595.aspx

The Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 is available with the #4 reticle but it’s more expensive than the 4x32 at $499.95 http://swfa.com/Zeiss-3-9x40-Conquest-Rifle-Scope-P5400.aspx

I’m also looking at the Meopta Artemis 2000 6x42 for $449.95. It has the #4B reticle. http://swfa.com/Meopta-6x42-Artemis-2000-Rifle-Scope-P7982.aspx

Now we move on to the Sightron S11 Big Sky 6x42. The problem is, it’s only available with the Plex reticle and also I believe I’ve read about durability issues with the Sightrons. I’m not sure if that applies to the fixed power scopes or not? And of course I could have just been reading about one individuals problem and not the majority. The price is $397.95 plus a $50 mail in rebate. Total comes to $347.95 http://swfa.com/Sightron-6x42-SII-Big-Sky-Riflescope-P9153.aspx

And then the Sightron S11 Big Sky 3-9x42. It’s available with the HHR reticle which ILya suggested I get if I go with a Sightron. The price is $432.95 plus a $50 mail in rebate. Total comes to $382.95 http://swfa.com/Sightron-3-9x42-SII-Big-Sky-Riflescope-P11092.aspx

Then we have the Vortex Viper 3-9x40 for $339.95. It’s available with the Dead-Hold BDC. I haven’t read much about that reticle, so I don’t know if it’s suitable for low light conditions or not? http://swfa.com/Vortex-3-9x40-Viper-Rifle-Scope-P11229.aspx

I also like the Super Sniper but I guess that’s more of a tactical scope and I think 10x magnification might be a bit much for where I’m hunting.

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2009 at 18:05
If most of your shots are going to be under 50 yards, I would even consider going with a 2.5X fixed power if you wanted to go with a fixed power scope. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2009 at 18:16
Supertool has a good suggestion.  4x is acceptable, but you will need to do some "work" with it in order to get comfortable shooting at that short range with it.  Not saying it can't be done, and not recommending against it, I've used 4x fixed power for most of my deer hunting the last couple of years and have no problems and have taken deer at close range and longer ranges.  However, it is not 'automatic'.  Requires practice acquiring targets at close range.  6x is also acceptable, but less so.  If 95% of your shots are truly at 50 yards or less, 6x would not be on my list of scope power choices.  2.5x would be excellent.  However, again, I think the 4x IOR would be a superior choice. 
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2009 at 18:19
The Zeiss would be my choice. Partly because of the sale right now. Also because of their glass, service and reputation vs the other Euro brands.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2009 at 18:29
I would go with the 4x IOR with the 4a reticle for the type of hunting you describe.  Or go with a 1-4 or 1-6 variable.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2009 at 19:19

4x at 50 yards is plenty.  In fact, at that range, I'd think about ghost ring irons.  Some of the lower powered Zeiss variables might help. 

With that said, you said "Swamp." Are you wadding or stand hunting? Either way wet will be an issue as well as low light.  Quick detach rings and iron back up would make sence.  Leupold makes a very rugged scope that would work well, but may be a bit dim compared to most of your other choices.  
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

mastsif man View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
D. Overton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mastsif man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2009 at 19:29
screw the scope ratings system.  while it has a purpose, you should place all of these scopes on your rifle and see which one fits you the best.  would you buy a car without test driving it?
ti-force View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ti-force Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2009 at 19:50
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

If most of your shots are going to be under 50 yards, I would even consider going with a 2.5X fixed power if you wanted to go with a fixed power scope. 

Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Supertool has a good suggestion.  4x is acceptable, but you will need to do some "work" with it in order to get comfortable shooting at that short range with it.  Not saying it can't be done, and not recommending against it, I've used 4x fixed power for most of my deer hunting the last couple of years and have no problems and have taken deer at close range and longer ranges.  However, it is not 'automatic'.  Requires practice acquiring targets at close range.  6x is also acceptable, but less so.  If 95% of your shots are truly at 50 yards or less, 6x would not be on my list of scope power choices.  2.5x would be excellent.  However, again, I think the 4x IOR would be a superior choice. 

Well, the main reason I'm interested in fixed power scopes is because you can get the higher quality glass at a better price. I've never even owned a fixed power scope. My current scope for deer and hogs is a Nikon Monarch Gold 2.5-10x56. I actually purchased it before I learned the fact that you don't need a 56mm objective and 30mm tube to have a great low light scope.

Now I know and I'm looking for something else, something that's not so bulky and something I can actually get a good cheek weld with. But I've used that scope for a while and I haven't had any problems with it other than the previously mentioned complaints. I think I kept it on 4 to 5 x all the time, so I guess I'm used to that magnification for the distance I hunt.
ti-force View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ti-force Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2009 at 19:57
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

The Zeiss would be my choice. Partly because of the sale right now. Also because of their glass, service and reputation vs the other Euro brands.

Do you think the Zeiss Conquest 4x32 would be as bright as the IOR 4x32? I know they both have excellent glass. The only thing with the Zeiss is the Z-Plex reticle.
ti-force View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ti-force Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2009 at 20:06
Originally posted by silver silver wrote:

4x at 50 yards is plenty.  In fact, at that range, I'd think about ghost ring irons.  Some of the lower powered Zeiss variables might help. 

With that said, you said "Swamp." Are you wadding or stand hunting? Either way wet will be an issue as well as low light.  Quick detach rings and iron back up would make sence.  Leupold makes a very rugged scope that would work well, but may be a bit dim compared to most of your other choices.  

I have to wade sometimes to get to my stand. It depends on how much rain we get or how much rain comes down river, the river can be at a normal level and the next day out of the banks from all the rain north of us.

I do try and keep all my gear dry, unless it rains.
DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2009 at 23:58
Well the Zeiss Z plex is a decent plex reticle. The heavy outer lines are not real heavy but are heavier than most other plex reticles out there and they stay very black against any back ground.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2009 at 08:18
what about the Nikon Monarch gold  1.5-6 with the German #4?

I notice you didn't list anything with an ill reticle, for night hog hunting I am assuming you are using lights.. ?

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2009 at 22:19
I am not crazy about the Conquest scopes, I got a Diavari because I didn't really like the Conquest line, but many really like them, they get much praise, so it must just be me.  You certainly would not be unhappy with a 4x Conquest, I don't think.  I believe the glass would be very nearly the same Conquest vs IOR... perhaps a small edge to the IOR, perhaps.  I would, however, go with the #4 reticle.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
bagderRed View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bagderRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2009 at 03:17
How about a Bushnell Elite 4200 w/rainguard?  1.25-4x24 #4 reticle, and illuminated dot.

Edited by bagderRed - June/23/2009 at 03:18
ti-force View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ti-force Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2009 at 18:38
 What does the majority think about illuminated riticles for low light hunting use? I havn't done much research on hunting with illuminated riticles.

It seems as if it would work well as long as the battery didn't die, unless of course, you have a Trijicon (no batteries required). I don't think I'm really interested in a Trijicon. If, I'm not mistaken, I think I've read about durability issues with the Trijicons.

As of right now, I'm leaning strongly toward the IOR 4x32.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2009 at 08:55
Trijicons are noted for being VERY durable with excellent glass
and for having the very good customer service

I have only seen a few people with problems with them being reported and they were resolved very quickly with no hassle

as for ill reticles, it's tricky, I have owned a number of them and some are way too bright even at their lowest setting, I would strongly suggest staying away from scopes with combat style reticles like the IOR 1.1-4 CQB as it obscures too much of the target and is too bright

they are great for making center of mass hits in say an urban environment but not so good for being able to put a bullet behind the ear of a hog

Randall45 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randall45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2009 at 19:30
I used a Weaver Classic Extreme 2-10x50 illuminated dot for night time boar and coyote hunting.Plenty of scope for the money.I have the German #4 reticle.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic