OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Conetrol Scope Rings & Bases?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSgtSmitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Conetrol Scope Rings & Bases?
    Posted: June/25/2009 at 16:08
Conetrol, anybody heard of them?  If you've used them let me know what you thought about them.   It looks like a neat idea.
SSgtSmitty
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2009 at 16:26
They are very fine mounts. One of their biggest advantages is that both front and rear rings are adjustable for windage, so alignment is very easy. The rings themselves are a little bit of a PITA to put together, but once they're on they're VERY strong and good looking.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2009 at 16:46
I have Conetrol rings and bases on a few rifles.  They are very well-made!  As JB said, they are definitely more of a PITA to install, as the rings are 3 pieces -- 2 halves with a top cap that is dovetailed to the 2 halves.  Once assembled properly, they are so well made that it's difficult to see the seam where the top cap joins the ring halves together.  Some other advantages besides the dual windage bases is they are available for virtually any rifle you can think of, they generally mount your scope as low as absolutely possible, and they just plain look good.

Here are some pics of 30mm and 1" Conetrols on a couple of of my rifles:
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
SSgtSmitty View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSgtSmitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/2009 at 11:46

PITA - Just how big of a pain in the butt are they to mount?  I need something that is fairly simple.  I don't want something that will 1) tear up my scope 2) be too complicated.  I can't have / don't want all this crazy windage (that's what I got the scope on).

SSgtSmitty
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/2009 at 12:47
Originally posted by SSgtSmitty SSgtSmitty wrote:

PITA - Just how big of a pain in the butt are they to mount?  I need something that is fairly simple.  I don't want something that will 1) tear up my scope 2) be too complicated.  I can't have / don't want all this crazy windage (that's what I got the scope on).

SSgtSmitty

They aren't that difficult to install, they just require that you keep the ring parts together as a set, because they were machined together.  The rings are a bit more tricky to hold the parts together initially while you slip the ring stud into the bases and line up the scope.

The bases have opposing cone screws that secure the rings.  These cone screws give you the option of some windage adjustment if you choose to use it.  The advantage to having some initial windage adjustment in the bases is so that you won't have to use as much windage compensation with your scope, keeping the erector assy closer to the optical center.  With some setups, especially when using a scope with a narrow adjustment range, this can be a help.  Once you get the rings setup, you don't have to touch the screws ever again if you choose not to.  They won't tear up your scope in any way, so there's nothing to worry about there.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Texas View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/2009 at 19:57
Ted, That Browning (?) with the Schmidt&Bender looks amazing from what I can see.  More pics and a description???

Good shooting,

Texas
"There are some things which cannot be learned quickly and time, which is all we have, must be paid heavily for their acquiring. They are the very simplest things..." Ernest Hemingway
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/2009 at 20:20
My first personal rifle had Conetrol rings holding the scope in place.  It was a 300WM, and with the first round down range the scope moved in the rings.  With the second round, it moved a little more; I promptly got rid of the rings.  Maybe it was the install, maybe it was the fact that the gun generated lots o' recoil, but I haven't owned a pair since and probably never will again.

They are, in my opinion, the best looking rings available.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/2009 at 22:46
Originally posted by Texas Texas wrote:

Ted, That Browning (?) with the Schmidt&Bender looks amazing from what I can see.  More pics and a description???

Good shooting,

Texas

Thanks, Tommy!  Yes, it is a Browning "High Power," made in 1974.  It is a "Safari Grade," which was the base grade; however, it has exceptional wood for a Safari Grade.  It's a short action version in .308, and the barreled action was made by Sako.  The long action versions were made by FN, using FN Mauser actions.  I bought it for an absolute steal about 15 years ago, still new in the original box!  I have been extra careful not to get it beat-up, so it's still in near mint condition.

Ted

Texas View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2009 at 09:26
Thanks for the follow-up, Ted. That is the nicest wood I've seen on a Safari-Grade ever. It is one of those you keeo forever, it must always make your heart beat faster when you get it out of the safe! A work of gunmaker's art!

I'm just a sucker for pretty rifles... Texas
"There are some things which cannot be learned quickly and time, which is all we have, must be paid heavily for their acquiring. They are the very simplest things..." Ernest Hemingway
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2009 at 11:28
Nice looking gun, and a very elaborate shooting bench.  I thought my field pack and sock filled with sand was high-rent, your setup is positively "medium pimp-in."
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSgtSmitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2009 at 15:48
RifleDude - that's one sweet rifle you got there.  I do like the looks of the Conetrol rings.  They look so "clean on a rifle. 
My rifle isn't so pretty, H-S Precision rifle with their stock & 25 inch barrel.  Stock is 3 colored camo and the barrel is flutted.  In 30-06 with a Rem model 700 action.  My scope is a brand new Kahles CL 3-9X42.  And now I'm looking for rings / mount.
SSgtSmitty
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2009 at 15:58
Originally posted by Texas Texas wrote:

Thanks for the follow-up, Ted. That is the nicest wood I've seen on a Safari-Grade ever. It is one of those you keeo forever, it must always make your heart beat faster when you get it out of the safe! A work of gunmaker's art!

I'm just a sucker for pretty rifles... Texas

Thanks again for the kind remarks, Tommy!Smile
Ted

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2009 at 16:03
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Nice looking gun, and a very elaborate shooting bench.  I thought my field pack and sock filled with sand was high-rent, your setup is positively "medium pimp-in."

Thanks, Jeff!  That's a VRS (Versatile Rest System), made by Lone Star Field Products out of Garland, TX, very close to where I live.  Besides being an easy to transport, highly adjustable rest I use for shooting at my hunting lease, I use it for prairie dog shooting, because it's very stable, the rest arms swivel 360-deg, and at the same time, the whole contraption packs quite compactly.
Ted

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2009 at 16:06
Originally posted by SSgtSmitty SSgtSmitty wrote:

RifleDude - that's one sweet rifle you got there.  I do like the looks of the Conetrol rings.  They look so "clean on a rifle. 
My rifle isn't so pretty, H-S Precision rifle with their stock & 25 inch barrel.  Stock is 3 colored camo and the barrel is flutted.  In 30-06 with a Rem model 700 action.  My scope is a brand new Kahles CL 3-9X42.  And now I'm looking for rings / mount.
SSgtSmitty

That is an EXTREMELY nice rig you just described, Smitty!  Care to post pics?Big Grin

Keep in mind the Conetrols are also available in matte finished versions for a more subdued look.  I chose the highly polised versions for the 2 rifles above to match the metal finish.
Ted

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSgtSmitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2009 at 00:21
RifleDude,
Thnks for the kind word.  It was the best rig I could afford. I'll post a pic when i get the scope mounted up.
SSgtSmitty
CREDITMAN View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CREDITMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2009 at 10:36
I used stainless Conetrols to mount a Swarovski on a Sako 85 Finnlight.  Had some scope slippage after mounting.  Called George @ Conetrol & he sent me some ring tape to put inside the ring halves.  Not only does the ring tape prevent slippage, but it makes leveling the crosshairs easier before you tighten everything down.  As posted earlier, they can be a pita to mount, but are rock solid.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSgtSmitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2009 at 08:44
Creditman "As posted earlier, they can be a pita to mount, but are rock solid."
 I'm scared as hell to get these rings, because I'm not that sure I can mount them.
I've got an okay rifle the H-S Precision and a good scope the Kahles, I don't wanna mess anything up.
SSgtSmitty
CREDITMAN View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CREDITMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2009 at 21:43
Sure you can mount them.  Just take your time & as mentioned earlier, make sure that you don't interchange any of the ring pieces as the 3 parts are machined together.  Just received another set of Conetrols for another 85 Finnlight in 7mm-08.  My other Finnlights are in 300WSM and 270WSM.
gferrett View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gferrett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2009 at 11:42
Very nice rifle; I have Conetrol on two rifles one kimber/Oregon 84, 223, Kimber 82, 22 hornet, again Oregon. They've been on them for 13+ years I've shot the hell out of these guns on  P dogs G squirrel,  crows, rabbits amd other stuff. I mean thousands of rounds.
 The pont is I removed the two scope on those rifle the other day and there were no ring marks on these scopes a Leupold 6.5 - 20. Or the 24 X tasco.
 The Tasco is one of the old ones from Japan. The tubes are very soft and very thin.
Go figure.

ferrett

If you know how many guns you have you need to buy more

bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2009 at 16:17
You CAN do it. I'm basically a dumb mass and I did it. Somewhat of a PIA, but real purdy when completed.  Big Grin
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic