OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Centerpoint 4-16x40 illuminated mil-dot

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randall45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Centerpoint 4-16x40 illuminated mil-dot
    Posted: June/25/2009 at 19:21
I bought a Centerpoint 4-16x40 illuminated Mil-Dot scope which was about $70.00 USD from the local sporting goods shop.The salesperson said that this scope was in his opinion better than the higher priced scopes which cost double to triple the money of this scope.He showed me the Centerpoint scope and I took out a Leupold Rifleman scope, Nikon Pro Staff both 3-9x40.I agreed that for the money I could find no reason to shell out the extra cash because the Centerpoint was just so clear.The reason I ask is because I never herd of this brand,it is built strong and is heavy.The lenses are multi coated and the scope is waterproof, shockproof rated for 416 Rigby.If anyone has any info on this scope please leave a reply thanks.    
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2009 at 21:48
Let us know how long it lasts.  Most cheap scopes sound great for the money, but usually do not last.  If you were to compare it to a Bushnell elite 4200 (3x the money)  you would find out why you paid 70 for that scope.  I hope it works well for you.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
kansas45 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kansas45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2009 at 22:18

I have three 4-16X40 Center Point scopes. Two are mounted on Savage MKII rimfire rifles. I have given them quite a workout over the past two years, and I'm happy to report that there have been no problems with these scopes. I spent all day this past Friday with one of them shooting five shot groups at 50, 100, 150, 200 & 250yds. My .22 rimfires are zeroed at 50yds. My test was shoot 5, adjust the elevation knob, to 100yds, shoot 5 more, adjust to 150, ect out to 250yds.  Many times I did this, with the scope returning to the correct MOA each time. 50yd zero. 4.5 MOA @ 100. 13.5 @ 150. 20 MOA @ 200 & 27 @ 250yds everytime. If the wind isn't blowing this weekend, I'll move out to 300yds & keep going untill I run out of adjustment. The glass is amazingly clear for a scope in this price range. 

The third Center Point has seen action my both my TIKKA .223 & .308 Varment rifles & my AR15 with good results. I bought the first one because I needed a scope in a hurry one morning & didn't want to pull one of of something else. I'm happy with the Center Points.
FunShot View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FunShot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2009 at 03:02
My friend is a local dealer of centerpoint scopes. They are cheap scopes so if you don't expect the same performance or duability from mid to top dollar scopes, you should be OK. They are just leaper made scopes though. The glass seems a bit better than the regular leapers but for some reason, there seems to be a bit of fish bowl effect on the new (centerpoint) scopes. Personally i don't like the eye relief because i'm used to long eye relief scopes. A friend has a rifleman and the centerpoint indeed seems to be brighter. But at low light, clarity on the rifleman seems better to my eyes.
The centerpoint models though with the locking turrets are reported to have less adjustment compared to the older models without it.
Randall45 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randall45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2009 at 22:31
Thanks for the fast response.I know for a cheap scope it's hard to beat.I mounted it on a Ruger Mini 14 Ranch .223 and fired around 500 shots today without a problem.The scope works fine and like the fact that they come with scope covers with high rings with 2 batteries for the illuminated reticle. 
kipsus View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kipsus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2010 at 13:50
Is it normal for these scopes to have a wobbling eyepeace? I mean, it has two fixed positions - fully in and fully out. Anything inbetween, the eyepeace seems to move a little, possibly shifting the POI. Kind of solved it by putting a rubber ring of right thickness in the gap, but maybe theres a more solid approach.
Or possibly my scope is missing some parts? Don't want to disassemble a new scope myself yet.
K.

tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2010 at 15:09
I bought 2 of the 4-16x40 models a few years ago. one went on a 308 and the other on a 30-06.
both of those are still going strong. for the money they do have pretty good clarity, and the adjustments are dead nuts on these 2. the dual illuminated reticles, while they do look cool in the daytime, are in my opinion next to useless in low light.  I recently came across a smokin deal on 25 of the 3-9x40 models with A.O. my son mounted one on a mosin nagant, and so far so good. As far as being better than Nikon, or Leupold.... not so much! but I do think that for the money its a decent scope, or at least it has been so far!
Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
mblapeer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mblapeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2013 at 06:31
This is my 44th hunting season and I love using my .50 cal Smokepole.
My eyes aren't what they used to be so, I decided to put a scope on it. I noticed a CenterPoint 4-16x49 on display for $70. It said "Torture Tested" up to 416 Rigby. I thought it should work fine as I shoot 150gr of powder. I was HOT!!! After going to the range 3 times and across the street 2 times to sight in. This scope was shooting all over the place . One shot it would hit 1/2" left and 1" high @100 yds,next shot wouldn't touch the 4'x6' plywood the target was on. I called the company and was told to ship it to them and they will repair or replace it. I said it was New and it's Deer Season! This Scope cost me a Monster 12 Point broadside @ 30yds. Yeah , I was a bit ticked besides the 120 miles of driving to the range, 50 Powerbelt bullets and 150 pyrodex pellets. I read many reviews by customers (all good) . I've heard of ppl getting bad scopes even expensive ones. This is my first and it was Absolutely the wrong time! Took it to Walmart and they exchanged it last night. Going to give it a Max of 7 rounds to sight in and no more. I will let you know how this one does.
JD548 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD548 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2013 at 09:19
i have a crossman/centerpoint T1 1.75-6x44 illuminated scope with 30mm tube ,  that was supposed to be the top of their line up.

i think i paid $69 for it on sale of a retail of a rather optimistic retail  of $220ish. it is currently mounted on a 7.62x39 ar-15

the glass i think is slightly better than a bushnell banner 3-9x40 that came with a savage edge.

the mechanical stuff like the locking turrets, adjustments and so on FEEL very good. very positive feeling  and it seems to track well.  although i don't know if the feel of the clicks means much. i have other scopes that don't click feel all that well that have worked perfectly for years.

i recently bought a china made 1-6x 30mm scope that felt good on the clicks but it would not track at all. would not zero--  so YMMV

i also have an optisan mamba 1-4x 30mm i got from SWFA a while back for $149, it has better glass and illumination. the turrets on mine seem a little soft but so far their holding zero well.

i have recently bought a BSA boss and a BSA majestic --they have better glass than the crossman / CP T1 has. the illumination on the boss is about like that on the T1 -- OK but not nearly as good as the opticsan.

i would say centerpoint probably makes at least some decent scopes for the money with just OK  quality glass , as a general rule. some models and sizes may be excellent for the $ and others might be a flop--

a really cheap scope is just that a cheap scope. someone said "i tried leapers and one out of three was OK!"  i think they may have improved their line up a bit -- now it is two out of three is OK"--

and i think that is why cheap scopes are generally not recommended much-- your getting a one out of three failure rate with some makes.

a better scope brand/make -- were talking one out of a thousand--or better--

my yardstick scope is a vortex viper. it cost me about three times the price of the crossman T1-- and worth every penny!--

now i have had good luck with the crossman. the BSAs , simmons and bushnell, banners for the most part .

i have realistic expectations of how they do before i buy one so i don't expect any of um to kick that vortex viper out of bead any time soon.

now if i had that centerpoint? -- if i was just knocking around shooting a few deer near my home--sure-- i would use it till i got the fancy to get something else or it fails--whichever comes first. and i wouldn't worry about it much.

it could last for years with no problems -- then you might get a pal to let you look through his monarch, or viper  or zeiss/whatever  and you'll be saying -- where do i get one of those?--LOL!

now i like cheap good scopes-- but i like the "good" ones too--

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic