OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Good low light scope for < $250.00

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stilhuntin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Good low light scope for < $250.00
    Posted: June/26/2009 at 16:23

I'm looking for a scope to go on a Remington 7400 auto loader in  270 that has the see through rings. Used the scope that was on it for a muzzle loader. It will be used for deer hunting @ low light in NC and shots will be under 200 yards. Fixed or variable, new or off the Sample List will work for me as long as SWFA carries it. I have Kahles scopes on two other rifles, but a change in jobs will keep from buying another one of their amazing scopes. May stretch the budget to $300 if need be. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2009 at 17:02
If you can do $300 the Bushnell 4200 3-9x is the best buy in that price range. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2009 at 19:52
+1 for the 4200 Elite--excellent value
Randall45 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randall45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/27/2009 at 10:31
In that price range of $300 I would consider the 4200 also.Another couple of scopes for low light would be the Weaver Classic Extreme 2-10x56,Sightron Big Sky 3-9x42,I prefer the #4 illuminated dot Weaver Classic Extreme for low light hunting.
Dshusker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dshusker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2009 at 11:33
You cannot beat the Elite 4200 for value.
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2009 at 13:56
At those ranges consider the Nikon Monarch 2-8x32, or the Elite 4200 in 3-9x40. I'm very impressed with the brightness and clarity of the little Monarch.

Nikon 2-8x32 Monarch Riflescope
Nikon 2-8x32 Monarch Riflescope
Stock # - NIK8437
  • Matte
  • Nikoplex
  • 1"
$289.95

NRA, SAF, & CRPA life member
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. ;)
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2009 at 22:30
I would also look at the Burris Fullfield II's. My bet is that you would be surprised--as I have been  when putting a FFII up against much more expensive glass in dim-light tests.
cosmicheretic View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cosmicheretic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2009 at 16:01
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

If you can do $300 the Bushnell 4200 3-9x is the best buy in that price range. 
  Great advice!  I have one on my Savage 116FCSS 30-06' and the combo is a sub MOA tack driver.  Bright at dusk and super clear as well.
1911man View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1911man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2009 at 01:58
I'll probably get hammered for this, but I have two Simmons AETEC 2.5-10x44 ill in service, one on a Ruger Hawkeye .358 and one on a AR platform carbine. I have had NO issues with them at all. They are at least as bright as a Leupold VX II or Bushnell 3200, probably a little more so. The illumination works great in low light and comes on every time it's asked to (can't say this about my Burris or Leupold illuminated scopes). The 358 has been shot hundreds of rounds and carried a LOT on ATVs and in Jeeps (it's my ranch working rifle) and has never changed zero (something I can't say about my expensive Trijicon). These scopes have accounted for a lot of hogs and varmints and works for me. Based on my dealer cost I'd guess the street price would be under $200. I don't like buying Chineese any more than the next guy, but unfortunately we have to face the fact that most scopes these days are at least partially mfg in China. It's the best inexpensive low light scope I have found.

It may break the next time I use it, but so far the one on the 358 has seen over a year of hard use.....................and keeps on ticking.
Bill Wilson
www.wilsoncombat.com
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2009 at 07:21
  +1 Bill.  I've got a ProHunter MS in 2-7x32WA. It the most forgiving scope I've got so far as head position goes,even at 7X,plus it just works the way a scope is suppose to.  I put it back on my .300 yesterday.  I shot with it on there maybe 1/2doz times when I first got it and then put it on a 7lb .30-06.  So far,VERY GOOD.  You know,every once in a while a manufacturer comes out with a cheap scope that down the road is known for being very tough.  These ProHunters may be one of 'em.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
stilhuntin View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stilhuntin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2009 at 21:09
Thanks everyone for the great advice.

Yesterday, I went a little over budget and ordered a Zeiss Conquest 4x32 from the good folks at SWFA. I have never owned a Zeiss scope and with a price of $299.95 (nib) I thought it was a pretty good deal. Can't wait for the scope to arrive so I can mount it and head to the range.

Again, thanks for all the positive input.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2009 at 21:21

Excellent GOOD choice!  I figure you'll be more than pleased.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2009 at 22:57
i think you will be quite happy with the conquest, i was pretty impressed with the 3x9 conquest i tested out last summer for 2 weeks.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Randall45 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randall45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2009 at 10:15
I hunt NC and would have opted for a larger bell for low light.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic