OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Using a scope with mil turrets and mil reticle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danjojoUSMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2009 at 17:25
Rancid Coolaid was wrong in this case,  he has a lot of knowledge and I learn from what he says....same goes for you supertool.

His statement of 1MOA being 2 clicks at 200 yards is something I just wanted to clear it up in case a brand new guy read it and got confused or misinformed.

Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2009 at 17:55
I think what both RC and Supertool73 are saying is if you need to adjust one inch at 200yds it is 2 clicks. And one inch at 100yds is 4 clicks. Where as with the Mil Rad you do not need to convert since if your POI adjustment is 1 Mil Rad at what ever distance you are talking about it is still just a 1 Mil Rad adjustment on your scope no matter what the distance is.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2009 at 18:00
Originally posted by danjojoUSMC danjojoUSMC wrote:

Rancid Coolaid was wrong in this case,  he has a lot of knowledge and I learn from what he says....same goes for you supertool.

His statement of 1MOA being 2 clicks at 200 yards is something I just wanted to clear it up in case a brand new guy read it and got confused or misinformed.

I admit I was wrong on the delineation of mils and MOA (both are angular measures) but on a 1/4MOA knob, 4 clicks at 100 yards is one inch, and the same 4 clicks at 200 yards is 2 inches due to the angular measure. 
At 600 yards, 1 click of a 1/4MOA knob is 1.5-inches of movement on target.

If the knob is 1/2MOA, a 2-click correction at 200 yards would be 2 inches on paper: if I mis-spoke earlier, sorry.

To calculate change on target with a 1/4MOA turret, the correction 1/4 x (hundreds of yards as a decimal.  Hence, 600 yards is 1/4 x 6 = 6/4 = 1.5 inches on target.  At 300 yards, a click is 1/4 x 3 = 3/4 inches per click.)

Make more sense?

Edited by Rancid Coolaid - September/03/2009 at 18:01
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
danjojoUSMC View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danjojoUSMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2009 at 18:05
Makes perfect sense my man....just wanted to bring it up for other newbies.

I really like that with the Horus scopes you can range with either MOA or MIL...hope you guys that do a lot of shooting put them through their paces once SWFA starts to carry them and then give us feedback.

Their Hawk scope seems pretty cool since it is FFP, mil/mil, etc. and only $549.  I would like to see how people feel about its parallax issue/non-issue on 12x and if the eye relief change is very bad.

Trays 7940 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trays 7940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2009 at 06:15
Well, now Iam going to show my ignorance. 
Chris II was attempting to tell me about mil rads the other day.  I was a bit confused and I hate being confused.  After reading the article CF posted, it makes a lot of sense and seems to be a lot easier.  Being a former science teacher, breaking things down into .1 is a lot easier and neater. 

I just got MOA down and now I find it could be easier...

I really wish the SS 3 x 9  was a SS 3 x 10...

Thanks for the info!

I don't shoot innocent animals, just the one's who look guilty.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2009 at 09:25
Originally posted by danjojoUSMC danjojoUSMC wrote:

Ah, even after reading it 4 or 5 times I was still seeing his quote of MOA as inches as Sparky explained.  My mind was thinking inches even though I say MOA.  Good call on the correction, my bad for correcting your correction of his incorrectness.  Wink
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
danjojoUSMC View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danjojoUSMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2009 at 09:52
That last sentence makes me think of V for Vendetta...

So what is the size of the SS Variable anyway...I don't see it on the swfa.com site and have been curious. 

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2009 at 10:00
I think I measured it somewhere in the ballpark of 13.5 - I'll go back and look for the post with the exact weight and length.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic