OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Critter Cooking Café
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Texas Dove Breast

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Texas Dove Breast
    Posted: July/25/2009 at 12:09
I know everyone probably knows this recipe but just in case you don't.

Dove season is just around the corner and there's nothing better for a Monday Night Football game.

Bag your limit of dove and your wife's too and your kid's too then head to the grill.

-----------------------

Skin and clean dove breasts.

Put as many Jalapeño pepper in and on the breast as you can fit.

Wrap each breast with a piece of bacon. (Secure bacon with a wooden toothpick.

Marinade in Italian dressing.

Grill on medium heat until the bacon is done.

------------------------

Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2009 at 12:18
Sounds great Chris, here's one for ruffed grouse.  There are a lot of these guys up at our camp:
  • 4 boneless grouse breast halves
  • 8 slices bacon
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • toothpicks
  • 1 cup white wine
  • 2 shallots, chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • freshly ground black pepper to taste
  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
  2. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Place the slices of bacon in the skillet and fry until they have released their juices, but are not crispy. Remove the bacon and set aside. Place the grouse breast halves into the pan, and brown them quickly, about 2 minutes per side.
  3. Remove the grouse pieces, and wrap each one with two slices of bacon. Secure with toothpicks. Pour enough of the drippings from the skillet into a baking dish to cover the bottom. Place the pieces into the dish along with the chicken broth, white wine, shallots, salt and black pepper.
  4. Roast uncovered for 45 minutes in the preheated oven. Remove drippings from the baking dish using a turkey baster, and place in a saucepan. Whisk in the flour, and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until thickened. Serve gravy with grouse.
God save the Empire!
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2009 at 13:04
Originally posted by Chris Farris Chris Farris wrote:

I know everyone probably knows this recipe but just in case you don't.

Dove season is just around the corner and there's nothing better for a Monday Night Football game.

Bag your limit of dove and your wife's too and your kid's too then head to the grill.

-----------------------

Skin and clean dove breasts.

Put as many Jalapeño pepper in and on the breast as you can fit.

Wrap each breast with a piece of bacon. (Secure bacon with a wooden toothpick.

Marinade in Italian dressing.

Grill on medium heat until the bacon is done.

------------------------

We do this with Pheasant breast also. Cut them into strips, and wrap them around the Jalapeño, then wrap them in bacon. Grill over low heat. I don't marinade them in anything.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2009 at 13:27
sounds very tasty!
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Eileen Clarke View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eileen Clarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2009 at 20:46
One of my favorite goose/duck recipes is very similar, but instead of putting the jalapeno peppers inside, they birds are breasted out, and you put a slit into the middle of the breast, stuff the jalapeno inside then wrap with bacon and grill, but only until medium rare.  (over medium heat.)  Then there's the even simpler waterfowl recipe: butterfly a goose breast and spread it open flat; then rub about 2 tablespoon of brown sugar on each side, and grill on medium heat, until rare to medium rare.  I don't know why that works, but it really mellows out goose. 

John and I are on our way to the Varmint Hunter's Jamboree tonight.  John will be doing a presentation on optics and bullets, I'll be doing a cooking demo.  One of the dishes is based on a venison/pork Italian sausage that John and I both love.  If you're anywhere near close, come on down.  Monday, at 1.   I'll be passing out samples. 
Eileen
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2009 at 20:54
Y'all are killing me!!!  I'm getting drool on my keyboard.   LOL

reminds me to get out the Beretta and do some sporting clays for Dove season tune up.
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2009 at 20:56
Oh, by the way.   Welcome to the OT Eileen.  We await your recipes with sweet anticipation. 
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2009 at 21:01
Originally posted by Steelbenz Steelbenz wrote:

Oh, by the way.   Welcome to the OT Eileen.  We await your recipes with sweet anticipation. 

+1 im already fat and now with you here sharing meals with us im liable to get fatter still. i better start riding my bike more.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2009 at 22:09
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

Originally posted by Steelbenz Steelbenz wrote:

+1 im already fat and now with you here sharing meals with us im liable to get fatter still. i better start riding my bike more.
You could always come work out with me...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2009 at 23:35
Sob - I have to use chicken in my Jalipeno Bacon wrap because they seem to think doves are a song bird here in Iowa, idiots.  I do not use the Italian dressing, I use fresh Jalipenos cut them in half and remove the seeds (you can more fully appreciate that the next day) and I use two toothpicks at right angles then fry them in real butter. Thunbs Up

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2009 at 10:39
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Sob - I have to use chicken in my Jalipeno Bacon wrap because they seem to think doves are a song bird here in Iowa, idiots.  I do not use the Italian dressing, I use fresh Jalipenos cut them in half and remove the seeds (you can more fully appreciate that the next day) and I use two toothpicks at right angles then fry them in real butter. Thunbs Up

maybe you could drive up nort a little wesley, we have dove season up here.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2009 at 11:47
Man.... I just got back from lunch and am hungry again!!! Sad
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eileen Clarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2009 at 21:15
Hi Guys, it's nice to be here.  I'm really eager to exchange recipes with everybody.   Just got back from the Varmint Hunter's Jamboree where I did a cooking demo--one with venison Italian sausage sauteed with sweet onions and peppers, and the other a pulled venison recipe, cooked with Tex-Mex seasoning.  We eat a lot of venison around here, so things like Italian sausage make a  nice change of pace.  
We've got three freezers, and this year we're going to need them.  After John got his mule deer in Wyoming last year, a really nice one, he came  home and told me about the elk he'd seen on the ranch.  Since I have asthma, I'd pretty much given up on the idea of getting a branch antlered bull.  (I can walk forever on flat, or downhill.  Uphill  or even a few inches of snow just beat me up.)  So I plunked my money down for a bull elk.  Then last week, I got word that I'd drawn a cow moose tag, a cow elk tag, an extra whitetail doe tag, and an antelope tag, aside from my 'normal' deer tag.   This is my second moose tag (the first was 20 years ago and a bull), and John's a bit jealous.  He's never drawn anything until the ewe sheep a year ago; and he grew up in Montana. 
Anyone interested in healthy dog treats?  They're made of deer liver!   And our dog likes them almost as much as toast and jelly.
Eileen
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2009 at 21:56
Originally posted by Eileen Clarke Eileen Clarke wrote:

Hi Guys, it's nice to be here.  I'm really eager to exchange recipes with everybody.   Just got back from the Varmint Hunter's Jamboree where I did a cooking demo--one with venison Italian sausage sauteed with sweet onions and peppers, and the other a pulled venison recipe, cooked with Tex-Mex seasoning.  We eat a lot of venison around here, so things like Italian sausage make a  nice change of pace.  
We've got three freezers, and this year we're going to need them.  After John got his mule deer in Wyoming last year, a really nice one, he came  home and told me about the elk he'd seen on the ranch.  Since I have asthma, I'd pretty much given up on the idea of getting a branch antlered bull.  (I can walk forever on flat, or downhill.  Uphill  or even a few inches of snow just beat me up.)  So I plunked my money down for a bull elk.  Then last week, I got word that I'd drawn a cow moose tag, a cow elk tag, an extra whitetail doe tag, and an antelope tag, aside from my 'normal' deer tag.   This is my second moose tag (the first was 20 years ago and a bull), and John's a bit jealous.  He's never drawn anything until the ewe sheep a year ago; and he grew up in Montana. 
Anyone interested in healthy dog treats?  They're made of deer liver!   And our dog likes them almost as much as toast and jelly.
Eileen
It is wonderful for you to be aboard, Ms. Clarke, thank you for being here.  
OK... I have a question.  Once, when I was pretty young (and more interested in just eating than in cooking) a friend's mother prepared dove breasts deep fried, kind of like southern fried chicken.  There were some herbs in the batter that seemed to give a sweet flavor... removing the normally "heavy" flavor of dove breast (on its own).  Best dove I have ever tasted and I have never seen anyone fry it since.  I long ago lost contact with Jimmy and his family, so no way to find that recipe.  Any ideas?  I've not been able to repeat it, though I have tried a couple of times.  
Once again, good to have you here.  If anyone gets rowdy, just let me know...

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eileen Clarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2009 at 17:52
I have a theory of game meat: that what we miss in game vs. beef and chicken isn't so much the fat but the sweetness.  (Of course, the sweetness is partly the fat.   It's why having steak in restaurants and eating any pork is not as satisfying to me and others as it once was: the fat is almost all gone.  In beef they cut it off; but in pork, they raise it much leaner than they did even 10 years ago.)  A lot of us use spice mixes, to sprinkle on deer and elk steaks, but the better tasting ones, for game, don't just have salt, papper and other spices, they always have a good dose of sugar, like the Gideon's Grub Rub.  I made up that one, and put it in my new cookbook, it was so popular. 
Anyway, long way around to say, I don't know what was in that dove recipe.  Maybe it was tarragon?  That's kind of sweet.  Or maybe just a little brown sugar.  Or did they marinate the doves with something a bit of sugar?   
One of my favorite recipes for goose I learned in a North Dakota goose blind: breast the birds, then slit each breast in half, thickness-wise.  And rub 1 to 2 tablespoons of brown sugar on them.  Grill to medium rare, at most.  It takes that 'harsh' almost burnt flavor out of the goose.  
Getting back to doves.  I found a recipe in one of George Leonard Herter's books, or a skeleton of a recipe.  He claimed Wyatt Earp was a gourmet cook and this was the way he cooked doves: it involved first sauteeing them in beef suet.   Again, that sweetness we're missing.  I wonder if that fried dove recipe included a bit of beef suet in the fat it was fried in??????
Eileen
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2009 at 18:10
Thank you very much for your response.  I did not expect you to "come up with the recipe", but your comments and suggestions are just what I was looking for.  The beef suet is something I have not tried... tarragon is one of my "go to" spices.  I am a "wannabe" gourmet cook and experiment quite a bit.  I will try the suet in Sept... next dove season.  I have none to try it on now.  Just might be the thing.  Mrs. Walker was one of those "old time" cooks who learned to cook from her mother, who learned to cook from her mother, and so on...  My grandmother was a superb cook.  I can't think of anything she ever cooked that I did not want more of.  How are you at chocolate cakes?  

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eileen Clarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2009 at 18:17
I'm pretty good at chocolate cake, but my Mom used to be the best.  She used to make a chocolate sour cream cake for our birthdays, with marischino (I know I'm spelling that wrong) cherries on top, and cherry juice in the chocolate icing.  But even with her recipe in front of me, I can't repeat it.   I guess you have to be 8 years old to really enjoy chocolate cake.   (Myspecialty, before I got diet conscious, was pie.  My dad even gave me an 11" pie pan one year for my brithday: 50% bigger than a standard size pie pan.  He loved pie.  But he also died of a heart attack at 69.  No more pies.  at least not til I'm past 69 yrs old.)
The more I think about your dove recipe, the more I think sugar is the answer.  My Mom's generation, and her Mom's generation snuck a lot of sugar into everything.  From potato salad and cole slaw to gravies.   We're all so health conscious now, we miss all that great, rich flavor. 
Eileen
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2009 at 18:41
Dawg gone it...Hungry and drueling again!  How am I ever going to lose weight this way? LOL
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2009 at 19:34
Eat carefully...

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2009 at 19:38
Originally posted by Eileen Clarke Eileen Clarke wrote:

I'm pretty good at chocolate cake, but my Mom used to be the best.  She used to make a chocolate sour cream cake for our birthdays, with marischino (I know I'm spelling that wrong) cherries on top, and cherry juice in the chocolate icing.  But even with her recipe in front of me, I can't repeat it.   I guess you have to be 8 years old to really enjoy chocolate cake.   (Myspecialty, before I got diet conscious, was pie.  My dad even gave me an 11" pie pan one year for my brithday: 50% bigger than a standard size pie pan.  He loved pie.  But he also died of a heart attack at 69.  No more pies.  at least not til I'm past 69 yrs old.)
The more I think about your dove recipe, the more I think sugar is the answer.  My Mom's generation, and her Mom's generation snuck a lot of sugar into everything.  From potato salad and cole slaw to gravies.   We're all so health conscious now, we miss all that great, rich flavor. 
Eileen
I will give sugar a try. Not something, in today's politically correct society, I never thought of it. 

Here's the thing on the chocolate cake.  My grandmother made a chocolate cake that had a "crisp" icing... put it on the hot cake and it turned crisp as it cooled.  It kind of "soaked" into the cake... Awesome.  Of course, no one in the family ever got the recipe. I have tried MANY times and cannot reproduce it.  Do you have any suggestions?  Thank you for your help so far.  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic