OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Critter Cooking Café
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Texas Dove Breast

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eileen Clarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2009 at 20:37
That sounds wonderful but I haven't a clue how to reproduce it.  

Here's something else.  If you only had one deer in your freezer, what are your 4 or 5 go to recipes you couldn't live without?   (Assume there's the usual tender meat here, tougher meat there. And that it tastes good.)  
E
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2009 at 21:16

My "go to" is the deer kebobs.   Easy to make, can be "tuned" for just about any taste, short cooking itme(once marinated... can be done with short marinate time, but less "impact").  Even without bacon, everyone in my family loves them... well, except my mother-in-law, but she doesn't like anything.  
Kebobs: cut tenderloins into 1/2 to 3/4 in thick strips, removing any and all membrane, fat, or sinew and marinate in red wine, salt, pepper, olive oil, Balsamic vinegar ( a touch of hot sauce if you like it), and perhaps a little Worchestershire sauce, for 5-7 days in the "cold storage" compartment of the refrigerator... just above freezing.  Then pound the slices almost flat with a meat hammer and wrap around onion, deseeded (deveined to taste) jalapenos, and yellow or orange bell pepper (red is OK, but the green is too heavy tasted to me), thinly sliced.  Wrap with applewood or maple smoked bacon.  I throw a large chunk of hickory on the fire and set all the kebobs on the far end of the grill, away from all flame and coals, and let smoke until the bacon is cooked.  Meat and veggies all in one bite

Edited by Kickboxer - August/02/2009 at 16:40
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Eileen Clarke View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eileen Clarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2009 at 10:19
Okay, drooling on Sunday morning isn't nice, is it?  Gotta take something out of the freezer and try that!
E
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eileen Clarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2009 at 10:21
I emailed my Mom last night and asked HER about the crunchy frosting.  She used to be a caterer, and specialized in desserts.  But, she didn't have a clue either. 
E
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2009 at 10:32
I am wondering if the icing is similar to what my mom calls divinity icing only chocolate.  I know divinity icing was made with clear Karo syrup and 10X sugar and was used on wedding cakes in the south.   After application the outer skin would get crisp or hard. 
I remember it cause it was the very first cake my older sister made.  She did something wrong and it set like concrete!  It was so hard it was like rock candy.  Everybody laughed, except my sister of course, who ran off crying.  It really was terrible, LOL!

I'll email my mom for the recipe and see what we get!
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2009 at 16:38
Originally posted by Eileen Clarke Eileen Clarke wrote:

I emailed my Mom last night and asked HER about the crunchy frosting.  She used to be a caterer, and specialized in desserts.  But, she didn't have a clue either. 
E
Thank you very much for trying.  My grandmother was a unique cook... I suppose it is one of those things gone forever.  I can still see her chocolate cake she baked at Christmas.  
Much appreciated.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2009 at 16:40
Originally posted by budperm budperm wrote:

I am wondering if the icing is similar to what my mom calls divinity icing only chocolate.  I know divinity icing was made with clear Karo syrup and 10X sugar and was used on wedding cakes in the south.   After application the outer skin would get crisp or hard. 
I remember it cause it was the very first cake my older sister made.  She did something wrong and it set like concrete!  It was so hard it was like rock candy.  Everybody laughed, except my sister of course, who ran off crying.  It really was terrible, LOL!

thank you, Bud... 

TexasPhotog View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexasPhotog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2009 at 09:41
We do it the same way, but we marinate the dove breasts in Allegro sauce and we stab the breasts with a small sharp knife on either side of the breast bone and stuff  those slits with a jalapeno spear before wrapping them in bacon.   I made 45 of them the other day for a party.  Yum!
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2009 at 14:29
Originally posted by budperm budperm wrote:

I think my mom called it sea foam icing. It would crystallize after so many hours
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2009 at 14:45
Recipe...?????

Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2009 at 15:23
Dan, I'll see if I can get it.
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2009 at 17:02
Originally posted by Steelbenz Steelbenz wrote:

Dan, I'll see if I can get it.
If it works, I'll email you a piece of cake... uuuuhhhh, OK, I'll fax it...

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eileen Clarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2009 at 19:40
I think cake has to go FedEx. Isn't there a law? 
Eileen
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic