OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Specific loads for .308......

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sniper13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Specific loads for .308......
    Posted: July/25/2009 at 18:07
Hey guys just trying to get a little info together, kinda like a pole. The question is...What gr weight powder is every body using for 168gr - 175gr bullets......and what powder is everyone using as their preferred powder and why (.308's only). Thanks alot guys!!!
pulling a trigger is easy....hitting your mark is intelligence
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2009 at 20:49
168 gr SMKs CCI BR-2 primers 44.5gr Varget at 2.810 COL  @2685 fps
168 gr Amaxs, CCI BR-2 primers, 44.5gr Varget at 2.927 COL @, 2725 fps
with the Amaxs .020 off the lands is as close to one hole as I can get.
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2009 at 21:06
Varget, 4381, 7828: had great luck with all.

Trying one powder ain't ideal as some guns like some powders more than others.

With my bolt guns, I've had the best results at 2750FPS, the gun seems to like that velocity more than it cares which powder gave it.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
sniper13 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sniper13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2009 at 12:48
Thanks steel...thats the kind of info i am looking for...
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2009 at 12:51
I am using 42 grains of varget in Fed brass 175 SMK at 2690 FPS.  I had a new barrel with a tight chamber put in it and it lowered my powder amount by 2 grains, thats why it is so low.  Works for me though, that means more powder for more bullets.  Yep, Thought So
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2009 at 15:47
175gr SMK in Win. brass, Fed. GM210M primers (large rifle match), 43.0gr Win. 748 powder, COAL 2.80, about 2500 fps.
Can substitute 178gr Hornady A-MAX
After trying Varget and IMR4895 I got best results with 748. I can also use 748 in a Dillon, and I can't use the other two in the Dillon. 
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2009 at 06:53
45.5 gr of varget pushing 168gr Berger Vld with cci200 with lapua brass. I have not cronyed this load yet but out to 500 it dose what I need it to do.
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
sniper13 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sniper13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2009 at 16:06
Ok... I am definately seeing a trend....Thanks guys......too bad i cant find Varget, so I am using reloader 15....when i was using varget 45.5-45.8 worked very well for me too. Hey I was out doing an optimum charge weight test today, using 43.4,43.6,43.8, 44 & 44.2, five rounds each. I shot 43.4 through 44.2 then back through them backwards. This kinda rules out temp of barrel and fouling issues effecting accuracy, it will effect all equaly doing it this way. However i had enough to do the same test twice, so i did to back up first test. My best group was hands down 44gr. however by the time i did the second test it seems like i got the same results but it shifted everything down .4 gr. So with the second test 43.6 was the best group.....is this caused by temp. effecting powder and making 43.6 pressure a little higher causeing it to have the characteristics of 44gr???? Somebody explain this to me please.....
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2009 at 16:20
RL-15 is affected by temp more than Varget.  So that could be a culprit in your results.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
sniper13 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sniper13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2009 at 22:14
Supertool I totally agree...I just thought it would be justified if I posted that observation. This is a very good example of the perfect load not always being the perfect load, and a smart reloader could probably anticipate this and load accordingly (possibly, of course I am not that advanced..lol).
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic