OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Torque Specs!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Torque Specs!
    Posted: July/27/2009 at 09:48
Several of the regulars, me included, frequently get questions on torque specifications for bases and rings.  The purpose of this thread is to have one central location that lists as many brand- and model-specific torque specs as possible.

This will be something of a "self-policed" thread, so please provide a link to the source when listing the base and/or ring and their manufacturer-recommended torque specification.

All torques are in "in/lbs" and that is NOT THE SAME as ft/lbs!

And to begin:

Badger Ordinance
http://www.badgerordnance.com/folders/downloads/3/Mounting%20rings%20and%20bases.pdf
rail to receiver: 15in/lbs
rings to rail: 65in/lbs
upper ring half to lower ring half: 15in/lbs

Seekins
http://www.seekinsprecision.com/index_p.php?p=rails
rail to receiver: 15in/lbs
http://www.seekinsprecision.com/index_p.php?p=rings
rings to rail (clamp screws): 55in/lbs
top ring half to bottom ring half: 15in/lbs

Talley light-weight allow scope mounts
(specs not listen online, I called, he said it was OK to post these, call to verify if you wish)
base to receiver:20-25in/lbs
ring halves:15-20in/lbs

Warne
(please verify this! I called and was told all screws and bolts are 25in/lbs)
ring halves: 25in/lbs
rings to rail: 25in/lbs

SWFA SSALT
http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=18199&PN=2
(As per Chris Farris II's post, second page, first post)
base to rail: 40in/lbs
ring halves: 18 in/lbs

LaRue Tactical LT-104 QD SPR mount
ring halves: 35in-pounds.
(Verified with a call to Tech Serv, asked them to be sure, talked with 2 people, 35 in-pounds.)

Feel free to post additional specs, this is, by no means, a conclusive list!
Yet.

Edited by Rancid Coolaid - March/30/2010 at 16:28
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2009 at 09:39
Wow, you ladies really left me hanging on this one: no specs posted.

(I needed the specs today on the SWFA rings.)
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2009 at 16:34

Good info R/C, should help alot of people out.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2009 at 01:46

Warne Torque Wrench for Scope Mount Torx T-15   -- is 25 in lb made for their steel RING OR BASE..... But Just because the ring will stand 25 in lbs doesn't mean the scope tube will take that much pressure. They have a new model that is 18 in lbs.  VORTEX scopes will only take 18 in lbs of torque without damaging the scope tube.  Minox tubes are also soft. 

"Fix It Sticks FISTL18 18 Inch Lbs Small Portable Torque Limiter" is a good solution.  They also make other ones. 

I have run Super Sniper scopes in Warne rings at 25 in lbs for years with no problems, but I am starting to standardize all rings to 18 in lbs.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - March/24/2023 at 13:29

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2009 at 07:01
  Here are some Leupold specs (ALL in inch pounds!):

MK IV rings =  65
    windage srews = 42
    Rifleman ring keeper = 14 (+ or - 2)
    base screws = 15 max
    8/40 ring screws = 20 max
    torx screws: (type in "torx screw torque specs" and go to #9)

Edited by 300S&W - November/18/2009 at 08:13
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
brav302 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brav302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2009 at 10:22
The tactical Warne rings to base is 65 inch pounds.
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2009 at 12:09
Thanks for posting RC , we have some stores here that do free mounting and bore sighting so I wind up taking my tool with me to the range to help fix scopes. I have seen scopes moving in the rings and rotating in them. It will help to show beginning shooters something printed on how to and why.  I think some people that are learning to shoot get discouraged and quit when a badly mounted scope keeps changing the point of impact and they blame themselves or the rifle or scope etc.
Duce  Big Smile
Duce
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2010 at 17:39
Anyone know what Burris recommends for the xtreme 30mm rings?  or the SS rings for that fact they are close to the same thing, and not the ssalt mentioned above
LoadedRound View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LoadedRound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2010 at 13:02
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

Anyone know what Burris recommends for the xtreme 30mm rings?  or the SS rings for that fact they are close to the same thing, and not the ssalt mentioned above
Can't say for sure about 30mm , but the 1 inch are as follows per the package insert.

Upper Ring Halves
   T15 Driver - 20 in/lbs
Side Attach Nut
   1/2" Hex - 65 to 100 in/lbs

Hope this helps.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2010 at 13:07

same for the 30mm came with the package, didnt know if it was coming with instructions was being like a boyscout

Blackbird View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2010 at 07:11
Ken Farrell products are as follows:

Rings torqued to base is 55-65 inch pounds

Ring tops torqued 15-20 inch pounds

Base screws: Front screw 20-25 inch pounds, all other base screws: 25-30 inch pounds

Also, people should realize the importance of "bedding" the base to the action, so as not to stress the action, or the scope. I have never had to lap any Farrell rings because his tolerances are second to none. I have never had 1 ring mark, on any scope that was removed from Farrell rings while using his base also. All good !
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2010 at 16:23
www.tpsproducts.com  ringbases to base 65in/lbs
375Whelen View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 375Whelen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2010 at 17:45
Talley Quick-Detachable System - Steel Rings

No specs supplied with product, but available through Talley:

Talley does not list the torque specifications for their rings on their web site or in the printed matter that accompanies the rings.  I wanted to know what the torque specifications were for the Talley Quick-Detachable Scope Rings made of steel in case they are different that for the lightweight rings.  Called Talley Manufacturing today at  (803) 854-5700 and spoke with Gary, who was very helpful.

Torque on bases may vary based on firearm, IMHO:

I suspect that the torque specification for the bases may vary based on the material from which the weapon's receiver is made, the screw diameter and thread pitch, etc., so I defer to the firearm manufacturer for this information, though Talley may have useful suggestions that differ from my opinion; I did not ask. 

Torque specifications for Tally Quick Detachable Rings in Steel with lever:

- Two screws at the bottom of the rings themselves (not the bases but the ones that hold the 2 sides of the rings together at the bottom, under the plate that lies between the quick detachable lever and the ring base: 25-30 inch pounds

- Two screws at the top of the rings (these hold the 2 sides of the rings together at the top): 20 inch pounds

- Quick detachable level: Finger or hand tight.  For reference, if using screw, 35 inch pounds.

"...never was so much owed by so many to so few." - Sir Winston Churchill
375Whelen View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 375Whelen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2010 at 17:56
Note that Talley instructions indicate that after the two sides of the ring are placed around the scope, the next step is to install the two bottom screws and tighten completely (to toqque spec and no gap between the rings) before any other installations steps are taken

No gap at the bottom of the ring!

I understand that not following this step is perhaps the most common cause of problems that may arise with these excellent rings.
RT13 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RT13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2010 at 14:56
Anyone know the torque for the 1 piece steel base mount for Rem 700 short action made by Warne Maxima Tactical?  I have searched online all night including Warne's website and no specs are listed.  The instruction only says to firmly tighten them.  I have already installed them without the use of a torque wrench and used blue loctite.  Wondering if I should remove them and start over using a torque wrench that I just got.  I just have a feeling that it's on there too tight.  Using the L wrench it came with, I tightenned it as much as I could per instructions on other websites Badger's instruction in particular.  I then used a gunsmithing screw driver with a t-15 head to tighten it even more, turning about 1/4 turn or so.  I know it has about atleast 40 in/lbs of torque. I used the torwue wrench on it set to 35 in/lbs and watch to see if it will turn it in more and it didn't which indicates that it's over 35 lbs of torque.  SHould I leave it alone or remove it and do again using the torque wrench?  But don't know how much torque to use.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2010 at 14:58
Most bases need 15 in lbs.  35 is pretty tight.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
375Whelen View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 375Whelen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2010 at 21:45
AS I indicated in an earlier post, since you are attaching to the receiver I'd refer to the rifle manufacturer for this information.  A Titanium receiver might have a different torque than a steel receiver.   I'd recommend you check with Remington.  MOst of my rifles specify 12-15 inch pounds, but in addition to receiver metal, screw size and thread pitch come into play.

I suppose that there is some risk that you may have over-torqued the screws just short of failure, which could happen at any time when hunting, etc.  Or not.

If it bothers you, take them off, discard and replace the screws, visually inspect the threads in the receiver, determine from Warne the max torque that their screws are designed for, and ask Remington the spec for their receiver.  Them rest easy and post your findings here!
375Whelen View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 375Whelen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2010 at 21:52
For the Dakota 76 Safari rifle, Dakota recommends that the Talley bases that Talley makes for Dakota be attached to the receiver at 12-15 inch pounds.

While it's not an optice specification, Dakota recommends that the two action screws be attached until the slotted screws are indexed, or to minimum 65 inch pounds.

With these settings in a synthetic stock with Schmidt Bender or Night Force scopes, my Dakota 76 in .375 H&H shoots the Federal 375H (300g Barnes TSX) into 1.5 inch groups at 200 yards, and 5 inch groups at 300 yards (but the rifle probably does better with a better rifle shot than I).

Sent: Friday, October 01, 2010
To: xxx
Subject: RE: Torque specs

Good morning xxx:

The guard screws in the rifle are indexed (slots line up with barrel) and not necessarily set to a torque number.  Technically we would set them at a minimum of 65 in-lbs.

The base screws should be around 12-15 in-lbs.

Hope this helps.

Ward Dobler | Operations Manager

RT13 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RT13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2010 at 16:56
Received an email reply from Warne.

Torque specs for all steel bases and rings is 25 inch/lbs.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2010 at 16:59
I guess that makes sense beings the torque wrench they sell for their stuff in a 25 in wrench.  

http://swfa.com/Warne-Torque-Wrench-P10114.aspx
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic