OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Torque Specs!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootsmandoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2015 at 12:08
Maybe this is a dead thread, but here's some recent torque info.

Tikka T3 Stainless 30-06
Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10, 30mm tube
DNZ Game Reaper one piece

DNZ package says 25 in/lbs.

The guy at DNZ says 30 in/lbs for both base and rings for this combination, no Loctite.

I took the middle road:
-25 in/lbs. all screws (4 in base, 2 in each ring)
-Blue Loc-tite

Here's the current DNZ FAQ page link:  http://www.dnzproducts.com/faq/
-Aim small, miss small.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2015 at 14:14
Thank you for sharing and welcome to optics Talk, Hoots. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
rayfoy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rayfoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2015 at 14:01

Hello all. New to the forum. Just received my new SS 10X42MQ. I have read and watched numerous reviews on this optic. Needless to say, when it arrived and I inspected it, I was very satisfied with the quality. I assembled the sun shade and Butler Creek caps onto it. Everything fit perfect except for the rear cap, which sets quite far in on the focus adjustment. Minor, in my opinion, as I will simply adjust focus for my eyes and reinstall cap. What I was disappointed in, however, was the picatinney rail installed from the factory on my Marlin XS7VH. When I attempted to install the SWFA medium height scope rings, they would not set down into the recoil lug portion of the base. This worried me. The first thing I did was measure the screw shank on the bases. A perfect 0.196 width. (as expected) I next measured the recoil slots on Marlin's rail. What I found were slots machined to only 0.146 in width! Far from the 1913 Picatinney specs which are 0.206 +.008. An online search for bases to fit the Marlin proved unsuccessful. All was not lost though. I removed the rail and clamped in a vise with aluminum jaw covers, filed the appropriate slots to the necessary width, assuring to maintain accuracy by measuring every 5 file strokes. Process was tedious and time consuming, but successful. I then continued with mounting. Scope aligned perfectly, medium rings were correct choice. (proper measuring before ordering is important). The dimensions on scopes and rings is invaluable. Thank you SWFA for making these available on your site.

I do have one question. In the future, are aftermarket bases for the Marlin X7 series of rifles going to be made available?  The rifle , as it comes from Marlin is less than suitable for long range shooting. However, the action, trigger and barrel(heavy barrel) are suitable. I am positive I can turn this inexpensive rifle into a fairly accurate piece of equipment. May be a bit of a challenge, but good bases would help. (I do have a laminate thumbhole stock ordered for it)

Thanks for listening to my ramblings. I look forward to the comments from everyone. Maybe I'm a bitLoco.LOL

Ain't nothin' but a thing.
rayfoy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rayfoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2015 at 14:53

I apologize for posting this in torque specs. I was looking through the posts to verify I had torqued the screws on mine correctly. I thought I had moved to a different forum on scopes in general. Oops.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2015 at 15:16
Welcome to Optics Talk. 

Your rail was Weaver and the rings were Picatinny, or the rail was out of spec? 

What Quad Cities? Home of 97x rock station in Moline?  Rocker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2015 at 15:19
Or is it Davenport? 
rayfoy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rayfoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2015 at 15:27

I believe the base that Marlin uses is made by Weaver. That would explain the difference in recoil slots, even though I thought all rails built of that design were standard on dimensions.

Yes, it is Davenport. Home of 97X and Dwyer and Michaels in the mornings. Still getting settled in here. Used to being out in Cochise County, Arizona the last 34 years. Had plenty of places for extreme long range shooting. Going through a bit of a challenge here to find ranges with enough distance. Longest found in Milan is 600 yds.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2015 at 15:29
I'm a SE Iowa native. Burlington.

Listened to 97x in high school. 
rayfoy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rayfoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2015 at 15:38
Cool. Small world. I was born up in Woodstock, Il., grew up in a little town called Wonder Lake. Went into the Army when I was 17. Moved to Arizona when I got out. Nice to be back in the Midwest.
PhatForrest View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhatForrest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2020 at 22:38
Zombie thread I know, but this thread comes up when torque specs are googled. 

Vortex says only use 18 inch pounds on ring cap screws with their scopes. Comes on a note in thier packaging. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic