OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for Ruger 22-250

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for Ruger 22-250
    Posted: July/29/2009 at 18:32

I am currently looking for a scope for a Ruger 22-250. I have looked at the Burris Fullfield ii and the Nikon Monarch scopes in 4-16  im looking at spending around $420 US does anyone have any suggestion.

safariarms man View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Dolphin Overton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote safariarms man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2009 at 19:53
There are so many scopes in that price range, you really need to get out and look at a lot of them.  The Monarch is clearly a step up in all ways from the FFII.  It also depends on what you want to do with the rifle, ie, shooting targets, hunting or both.  A bigger objective with higher magnification would be fine for target shooting, but may a bit much for hunting unless it is purely for benchrest style hunting at long distances.  But, for carry and shoot a smaller scope may be preferable.

Edited by safariarms man - July/31/2009 at 20:38
Aussie Shooter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2009 at 20:13
Its for a Ruger M77VT M2. It will be used for target shooting as well as shotting roos, small pigs, feral cats.  Any other ideas?
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2009 at 23:48
What would be a better scope a Nikon Monarch  or a Burris Fullfield 2? Leupold dosnet sent to Australia and the prices in Oz is around $1100 for a VX-3. Is there other scopes out there?
amk204 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amk204 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2009 at 07:12
Nikon is the better scope IMO. I like the plex or bdc ret. for hunting. the fine or dot ret. are sometimes hard to see in hunting conditions.
Life is to short to shoot an ugly gun
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2009 at 09:28
Do they sell Bushnell 4200s there?  Those are fine scopes as well.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2009 at 11:20
I put a Bushy 4200 4-16 X 40 on a Remmy in .204 Ruger (at the suggestion of Koshkin on here). It was a great choice.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2009 at 11:41
I have both scopes and for the few extra dollars more, I'd pick the Nikon for 2 reasons;

1.  Side Focus (I just prefer that).
2.  The Burris has the power zoom and eye piece focus on the same knob.  In other words, when you zoom you also change the focus.  Now, it's very slight in so much you probably won't detect it but, if you use flip covers you'll notice it right away. 
3.  The clarity and sharpness of the 2 scopes favors the Nikon although the 4.5-14x42 FFII works just great on my sons 17HMR and it is very clear, bright and sharp.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2009 at 15:13
Im looking at buying it from the US. A buris FF2 4.5-14*42 is $1015 AUD and i can but it online deliverd to the door for $515 AUD with a bonus spotting scope. The supplier also stocks Nikon and they seem to be around the same price. I have had some bad reports about the bushnell here in OZ.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2009 at 16:17
Are the VX-1 amywhere near the same quality?
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2009 at 17:15
no
I dont think you will be able to mail order it from the U.S. due to export regs.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2009 at 17:24
I am able to order the Burris and Nikon just not the leupold
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2009 at 23:25
Ok what is a better scope for a 22-250 Nikon Monarch 4-16x42SF or Burris Fullfield ii 4.5-16x42?. I have to pick out of one of the above and im having huge dramas can anyone see why one would be better then the other?
amk204 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amk204 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2009 at 09:32
Nikon with the sf would be my pick. better glass imo and the sf is a dream.
Life is to short to shoot an ugly gun
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Dolphin Overton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote safariarms man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2009 at 20:41
The Nikon is clearly a better scope than the FFII.  I would stick with the Nikon if your choices are limited to these two brands.  What other brands do you have to choose from?
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2009 at 20:58
or a leupold vx 2
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Dolphin Overton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote safariarms man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2009 at 11:08
Still the Nikon Monarch stands out as the best scope of the three that you have mentioned.
Steve 0 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve 0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2009 at 20:48
DONT BUY THE BURRIS !!!!! I have a signature select 4-16. Not real impressed
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2009 at 21:19
Originally posted by Steve 0 Steve 0 wrote:

DONT BUY THE BURRIS !!!!! I have a signature select 4-16. Not real impressed

What is the problem?
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2009 at 23:44
I like a Leupold FX3  6x42 long range duplex - really bright in low light low enough power to hand hold ultra reliable.  I also like their FX3 12x with target knobs if you shoot from a rest and the 6x competition hunter with target knobs if you hand hold it.  In a variable I would go Bushnell 4200  probably in the 4-16x40 or  Zeiss Conquest.  I dont really care for the circles in the Nikon balistic reticles but I have killed lots of deer with one in a Nikon Omega for Musket.  I have had bad customer service from Burris so I find it hard to recommend them but they do make some solid scopes and have a nice reticle.  This would be my pick of the Burris line:
Burris 3-9x40 Fullfield TAC 30 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope LRS Ballistic Plex Burris 3-9x40 Fullfield TAC 30 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - 200443
  • Matte
  • LRS Ballistic Plex
  • 30mm
  • TAC-2 Knobs
$389.95 
Add Burris 3-9x40 Fullfield TAC 30 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope to Cart 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic