OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Ar Trigger Group

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ar Trigger Group
    Posted: July/31/2009 at 14:53

I'm looking for suggestions on a trigger group for an ar I'm putting together.  This is my first ar build and I'd like to keep the cost under $150.00.  The gun will be used for plinking, home defense and maybe some varmint hunting. 

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2009 at 15:17
Jard and Rock River both offer trigger groups that are an improvement over the typical AR trigger for less than $150.

I'm in the process of slowly putting together an AR, piece by piece, so I understand what you mean about keeping costs low.  These things can sure eat up a bunch of money, both during and after the build!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2009 at 15:29
+1 on the Rock River. It's a simple drop in, 4.5 pound pull, crisp, and two stage.
Accuracy Speaks makes a drop in single stage trigger with a 4.5 pound pull for about $200, but it may require some fitting. It also keeps the standard profile of the trigger.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2009 at 17:10
Is the Nation Match trigger worth the extra $$$?
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2009 at 17:15
I have a Couple Timney Triggers in some ARs.  They are very nice, crisp single stage with a very nice reset.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2009 at 17:17
Opps, looks like they are a bit over your budget.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2009 at 18:36
Some RRA triggers may be 4.5lbs but they seem to range between 4.5 and 7lbs depending on the luck of the draw and you cannot polish them. RRA case hardens their trigger groups and polishing removes the hard outer layer which makes them subject to rapid wear. A google search will confirm this. I recommend spending a few more dollars for a geissele SSA. I just replaced my like new Adco Improved RRA with the SSA and love it. The problem is finding one. They seem to be as hard to come by as hen's teeth. But if you have your heart set on a RRA I'll give you a deal on the one that I took out. It has less than 50rds on it. I had installed it strictly as a place holder until the Geissele became available.

Edited by sholling - July/31/2009 at 18:48
NRA, SAF, & CRPA life member
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. ;)
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2009 at 19:06
 Jewell
HuntMaster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2009 at 19:07
I am agreeable with the RRA 2-stage. The one I installed is very nice and crisp, however, the only advantage I see in it is for target/bull barreled rifles. Not sure what you had in mind, but on my defense/play Spike's Tactical rifle, I actually prefer the stock single stage trigger. And that would be the most economical way to go.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2009 at 15:13
Have owned the LMT 2 stage trigger and liked it. The Jard that Rifledude mentioned is the nicest AR trigger I've ever shot.
Liked the RR 2 stage too.  
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2009 at 15:15
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

These things can sure eat up a bunch of money, both during and after the build!

Gospel truth, right there friends! 

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2009 at 15:23
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2009 at 15:24
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

These things can sure eat up a bunch of money, both during and after the build!

Gospel truth, right there friends! 

i do believe it was cheaptrick who said " ar's are money pits" now you see why.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2009 at 15:41
I went with a RRA single stage at this point, it should get me up and running........for ammo that is.  Thanks all for your insight.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2009 at 15:50
Good purchase. I've shot a few RR triggers and thought they were really good.

Seems like I'm always one piece away from completing any AR....Head Banger 
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2009 at 21:04
 You don't really set a budget limit when building an AR.
 You set a weight limit!

I half expect to see somebody come out with a bipod with wheels on it any day now....

arteacher View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arteacher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2009 at 21:31
Send your stock trigger to Bill Springfield. He can make it into a nice crisp 3lb single stage for 35 bucks.
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2009 at 21:44
Originally posted by arteacher arteacher wrote:

Send your stock trigger to Bill Springfield. He can make it into a nice crisp 3lb single stage for 35 bucks.

The problem with that is that it probably won't last as a 3 lb. trigger very long. Most stock trigger parts are case-hardened, and honing will cut through the thin case to the soft steel beneath it, which wears very rapidly.  I would respectfully recommend against this route, regardless of how good the 'smith is. The flaw with this method is in the parts themselves, not the gunsmith or his skills. 

Edited to add:
 I just now re-read this thread from the beginning and noted that Scholling mentioned this case-hardening issue in a post on page 1 of this thread. I must sound stupid to have repeated it without realizing that it was addressed already.

My apologies, Scholling!

Edited by RONK - August/12/2009 at 18:37

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2009 at 05:43
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

You set a weight limit!

Excellent

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2009 at 16:40
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

You set a weight limit!

I half expect to see somebody come out with a bipod with wheels on it any day now....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic