OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Talley Lightweights on a Tikka - mounting length?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Talley Lightweights on a Tikka - mounting length?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 0100010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Talley Lightweights on a Tikka - mounting length?
    Posted: August/05/2009 at 21:26
I am trying to get an understanding if a Vortex Diamondback 2-7x35 will mount on a Tikka T3 Lite in Talley Lightweight Low rings.  I'm not worried about mounting height - but I am concerned with mounting length.

I have gathered that the approximate maximum length of the dovetail on the Tikka is just under 5.75".  I have shamelessly borrowed a picture located online and adjusted it in Photoshop to where the length of that dovetail is just at 5.75" (between the two green hash marks in this image):

Then - I moved the image a bit and "measured" the distance between the rings, and it appears to be just at 5.00" (again, between the two green hash marks):

But - I figured it would probably be easier to ask you guys who may happen to have Talley's on a Tikka - what that actual distance is?

The mounting length on the Vortex is 5.1" (and I wish more scope manuf. would publish what the mounting length is on their products....)

Thanks!
loaded4bear View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loaded4bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2009 at 21:37
I'm about to order Talley's for my Tikka but is it possible to reverse the front ring(turn it around) to make the distance between them less?
0100010 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 0100010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2009 at 21:48
Hmmm, that I do not know. If that is the case that they could be reversed then I think my concern would be alleviated. Off to do more research...
0100010 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 0100010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2009 at 21:56
Well that didn't take long...

This link indicates the front can be reversed. Wonder if I find a picture of that.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2009 at 22:00
Try this....

Tikka
0100010 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 0100010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2009 at 22:13
Awesome. I also located this one:

sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2009 at 09:59
That rifle looks familiar. Big Grin The scope is a Nikon Team Primos which isn't a very big scope. I believe the 1" part of the scope tube is only 5" long. For what it's worth I really like those light weight rings and a nice light weight scope on this rifle.

But if all else fails you can always get an EGW Picatinny rail although it would add weight.

Edited by sholling - August/06/2009 at 10:08
NRA, SAF, & CRPA life member
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. ;)
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2009 at 10:09
Not sure but the scope in the first picture looks like a Nikon Omega which are short on mounting length.

Edited by Roy Finn - August/06/2009 at 10:10
dougwx12 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougwx12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2009 at 19:22
I always mount Talley's on Tikkas with the upper post part closest to the bolt opening on both sides (i.e. neither of those pictures represents the shortest method.)  Seems to work fine.
0100010 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 0100010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2009 at 11:32
Here is what I ended up with; Tikka T3 Lite 7mm-08, Talley Lightweights 1" Low with a Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9x40.

Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2009 at 17:05

Any scope maunfacturer who builds a scope for big game hunting that doesn't have a tube that is at least 5.25 inches long needs to be tarred and feathered.....

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic