OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Critter Cooking Café
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Top 5 Go-To Recipes?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eileen Clarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Top 5 Go-To Recipes?
    Posted: August/11/2009 at 20:56
You've had a hard day at the office, and unexpected company is coming.  What is your best, easiest, no fail recipe, go-to recipe.  One of mine is Italian Sausage browned and sauteed with sweet onions and peppers.   Just made it for friends last weekend.  Chop to finish, about 15 minutes.   For steaks, it's grilling with a good slathering of garlic butter at the end.  (2 tbsp minced garlic to 2 tbsp butter on 1 pound of steak.)
Eileen
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2009 at 07:45
 chiken stew..

1 whole chicken boiled and meat shreaded of the bones. Take 2 cups of water from boiling and add half gallon of milk and chicken (1 qube )broth and mix well and bring to a boil. when it boils add the meat and let simmer for 20 minuts or so and add 1/2 butter.
let cool and eat midly warm with saltin carckers.

Or something like this.

1 pound elk or deer or cow ground and browned and  ixed with mushrooms and cream of mushroom soup. l4et simmer and add sour cream and slat and pepper to taste and good to go. you can also add rice or noodles but I like tortia chips with mine.

Edited by Bigdaddy0381 - August/12/2009 at 07:46
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2009 at 08:21
Meat & taters with broccoli

Thaw steaks in Mwave.  Start grill

Cut a few clean red skin potatoes into large bite size pieces.
place in small pan, cover with water,
add 1-2Tbsp Olive oil
       1 Tbsp butter
        .5-1.0 tsp salt
         1 tsp parsley
Bring to boil, lower heat, cover,  cook 15 min.

Clean & prep fresh Broccoli, soak in cold water to crisp.
1 inch water in steamer.
Lay Broccoli evenly in steamer, place thin slices of pad butter on flowers.
Lightly salt,
sprinkle with Lemon pepper generously.
Steam 8 minutes.

Somewhere in the middle of the above, throw steaks on hot grill to seare.
DON'T Forget to flip steaks after 2 minutes searing.
Sprinkle Lawry's Garlic salt to taste. after seare.
Reduce heat and cook to your liking....med rare for me.

Serve and chow down!

Edited by budperm - August/12/2009 at 08:22
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2009 at 09:22
 A couple of Burritos from the freezer, some KC masterpiece and garnish with shreded cheese and sour cream after a good micro wave....
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2009 at 09:44
Cooking good food just isn't very high on your list is it Silver? Bandito
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2009 at 18:36
Unexpected Company ---    MRE's  that way they will eat out next time.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Eileen Clarke View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eileen Clarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2009 at 19:34
Okay, MRE and frozen burritos: what if the person is someone you like??????
Eileen
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2009 at 19:44
Ug...they no likem hurry.  sharpen stick, build fire, skin critter, cook critter!

Come on guys, this is embarassing!  Kickboxer, BigDaddy, Beltfed come on guys!  Give up a recipe or two!
--Thomas Jefferson

silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2009 at 05:08
If it is a true hurry and before 2100, I'm friends with one of the nicest resturants in town.  If its after 2100 Steak and Shake, Waffle House or my Pizza place customer deilvers until 4am.

WWW.formitch.com

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2009 at 09:21
Ever heard the story of the $500.00 cake??? 
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2009 at 09:23

A friend was over doing some dry wall work last night. With just an hour of work to go I melted some butter and added garlic, basil, oregano, lemon and pepper. I brushed this mixture on a whole chicken and put an open beer can up in the cavity. I put it on the grill upright, set on low and an hour later it was done. It was great.

Sea salt baked potatoes, fresh jalapeño and Hungarian hot peppers on the grill were added to the meal. There wasn't much work required. The only thing that had to be watched was the peppers at the end.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2009 at 09:25
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Ever heard the story of the $500.00 cake??? 

I don't think so.  Does it envolve getting arrested or something?

Do tell, DO TELL!
--Thomas Jefferson

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2009 at 09:28
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

A friend was over doing some dry wall work last night. With just an hour of work to go I melted some butter and added garlic, basil, oregano, lemon and pepper. I brushed this mixture on a whole chicken and put an open beer can up in the cavity. I put it on the grill upright, set on low and an hour later it was done. It was great.

Sea salt baked potatoes, fresh jalapeño and Hungarian hot peppers on the grill were added to the meal. There wasn't much work required. The only thing that had to be watched was the peppers at the end.

I have yet to try and cook a beer chicken on the grill.   Got to try it!  I have a George Forman Rotistorre.  As it happens I cooked a whole chicken on that last night.
--Thomas Jefferson

silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2009 at 09:36
Originally posted by budperm budperm wrote:

Cooking good food just isn't very high on your list is it Silver? Bandito

Didn't think we were doing Sunday dinner...  So I did not worry about gettin' the Garlic press dirty.

Both Knorr and Zatarin's make a reasonble Red Beans and rice box mix.  Zatarin's is now doing low sodium versions of popular Cajun dishesYippee for a more heart healthy meal.  You can use either brands mix and some smoked sausage (Hillshire farms Spicy is kicking.) and have some thing tasty in about 15 to 20 minutes. 

You can also do some variation of the classic Chicken and rice by adding smoked sausage and a touch of horse radish or a bit of ramp (Wild leek). If you want color and taste in a garnish I have some hot smoke paparika.

Now, you can finish with some pro-biotic Yogart with honey and fresh cinamon with some almonds, a spot of strawberry jam and crumbled dark Chocolate for colour.  Heart healthy!

WWW.formitch.com

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eileen Clarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2009 at 16:51
Yes, let's hear abot the $500 cake. 
Mizwhitetail
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eileen Clarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2009 at 17:05
Re the pro-biotic yogurt for dessert?  Dates stuffed with cream cheese is a serious pig-out. 
Eileen
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2009 at 17:37
Originally posted by Eileen Clarke Eileen Clarke wrote:

Re the pro-biotic yogurt for dessert?  Dates stuffed with cream cheese is a serious pig-out. 
Eileen

Eileen,

I try and avoid stuffing dates with cream cheeze.  I'm old fashioned and try to get them stuffed with Patron or a nice wine so they are tipsy enough that I don't have to do a lot of dancing.Angel

WWW.formitch.com

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2009 at 20:22
Silver,
 You are talking to a LADY.  

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2009 at 07:32
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Silver,
 You are talking to a LADY.  

+2.

You can take a small deer roast and a potato salt and pepper it and wrap it in "allot" foil with alot of butter and a few chucks of ice. freeze over night. When you wake up and head to alabama to hunt take and place it on the motor of the truck will it will not fall off but will get tons of heat from the motor.The ride will take 1 1/2 hours and then 1/2 hour for cool down. The meat and tater will be nice and med to med well when you get ready to enjoy before the morning walk to the staind.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2009 at 08:09
AH, we call that "Towmotor Cooking" in these parts. The guys in the factories driving the forklifts would always have something cooking or warming on the engine blocks.
--Thomas Jefferson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic