OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New Winchester Model 70

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sniperafar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Winchester Model 70
    Posted: August/13/2009 at 12:46
I just bought a new Winchester Model 70 Featherlight.  Does anyone know if this rifle is glass bedded?  I thought I had read somewhere that it was.  If it is not, do you guys think it needs to be.  Also, do any of you guys own any of the new models from the SC plant and what do you think of them?  Be honest, I can handle it.
Panzer divisions
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2009 at 13:45
Welcome to the forum.  I believe the FN M70's are bedded at the tang and recoil lug.  They use real bedding instead of the soft glue type bedding used at New Haven. 
My impression is they are good guns.  THe fit and finish looks as good as New Haven guns.  THe new trigger is a wash for me because they already had a trigger that was 2 pieces and as simple as they come.  The M70's reign is over IMO with the newer generations wanting AR's and all the plastic they can get their hands on.  It's the old timers who used M70's in the 40's and 50's who made it a legend.  Unfortunately those types are getting fewer every day.  The pinnacle of my gun collection is a 1950 Supergrade NIB.  Hang tags and everything. 
Let us know how yours shoots.  I've been reading mixed reviews of the FN guns.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2009 at 17:57
The new M70's I've seen look to me to be maybe a tad better finished than the New Haven rifles.  The checkering definitely looks better executed.  Wood finish seems better.  Metal finish is maybe a bit better.  These rifles do come bedded, but I don't know how good a job FN does, having no field experience with the new rifles and having never removed the stock from one.  I agree with Horsemany that it seems to be a sacrilege to get rid of the old tried and true M70 trigger, as you couldn't get a simpler, more rugged, more dependable trigger than it was.  When properly tuned, it could be made to produce a very good pull... maybe not quite as good as some of the newer trigger designs, but plenty good enough for hunting use.  Unlike a trigger with moving parts enclosed in a housing, it's virtually impossible to gum up the old Winchester M70 trigger, so you could always depend on it to work.  Having said all that, the new 3-lever "MOA" trigger undoubtedly has a lighter, cleaner pull with less perceptible trigger movement.

I like the new rifle, and I wouldn't mind owning one.  Definitely keep us posted on how it shoots for you!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
sniperafar View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sniperafar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2009 at 19:13
Thanks guys.  I have not picked mine up yet, but will let you know what I think.
Panzer divisions
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2009 at 06:39
I looked at a new M70 at the gun shop a couple of months ago. It was a 30-06. The fit and finish was excellent. The trigger pull was also very decent. The wood was only average and I did not care for the finish on the wood. I had (and have now sold) one of the last 70's out of New Haven. It was not good, and the action was about as rough as one could imagine. I believe the new versions to be MUCH improved. I just may pick one up myself.  Big Grin
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sniperafar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2009 at 14:04
Well, it is at my FFL license holder's house.  I hope I can pick it up on Sunday.  I have the mounts and rings, as well as the all important scope in.  Will take some pics and post them.  What is the best way to post pics on this sight?  I guess it is like most of the other sites, use a storing site and the upload them from there.  Or do you need a certain number of posts?
Panzer divisions
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2009 at 14:15
50 posts to show pictures, or else email them to a moderator and they will post them for you.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Trays 7940 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trays 7940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2009 at 21:03
I have been trying to get a Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather SS but my dealer can't get them yet.  Where did you get yours?

I don't shoot innocent animals, just the one's who look guilty.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sniperafar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2009 at 22:58
From www.gunbroker.com at nothern firearms witch is part of Reid's Sporting goods in Minnesota.  I paid retail for the rrife, but a lot of other site wanted a lot more.  Go to gunbroker or yahoo Reid's Sporting Goods in Minnesota and you will get the same price.
Panzer divisions
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2009 at 08:47
I traded a Kimber for my Weatherby Mark V Deluxe from Northern Firearms.  They are a class act and easy to work with. 
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2009 at 10:05
reeds is about 45 miles straight east of me, give em a call toll free. 1-800-346-0019
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2009 at 10:17

Wish we had 45mi of straight road here in WV.   Sad
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2009 at 10:18
the govt has to have a place to land their planes in an emergency, so they bought an area of flat land and called it north dakotaBucky
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2009 at 10:44

Excellent  GOOD ONE!
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sniperafar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2009 at 08:34
Originally posted by Horsemany Horsemany wrote:

I traded a Kimber for my Weatherby Mark V Deluxe from Northern Firearms.  They are a class act and easy to work with. 
How do like the Mark V as compared to the Kimber?  Been reading a lot about the Weatherby rifles and Kimbers, cause I want to get a real nice rifle, so to speak and the more I read, I kinda like the Weatherbys.  I only have a small collection and this would be my first, high end rifle, without going overboard.  What is your opinion?
Panzer divisions
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sniperafar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2009 at 08:37
By the way, most of my reading is in the gun mags, where they show guys like Boddington and Greg Rodriguez always having a Weatherby in their collection, when showing off some caliber or hunt, alongside other customs.  I never seem to see a Kimber and that just got me thinking.  But, I like the way the Kimber looks.  Not sure.  Alot of dough.
Panzer divisions
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sniperafar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2009 at 08:40

I know this is a lot of questions, but how would you rate the new model 70 against the Mark V and a Kimber?  Maybe I have a high end enough rifle for now?  The Featherlight is the same as the Supergrade, save the extra trimmings, I guess.

Panzer divisions
TexasPhotog View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexasPhotog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2009 at 09:18
Model 70's are classic rifles and the new ones seem well made.  I say shoot the heck out of it.  Weatherby's are kind of cool, but I think the Sub MOA Vanguards are better values than the Mark V's.  I would not buy a Kimber.  Kimbers are pretty, but our local gunshop has had several wood stocked 7-08's returned lately because they shot patterns, not groups.  Kimber seems to have some QC issues.  Hill Country Rifles' website says they no longer accepts Kimbers for accurizing, so our local gunshop isn't alone in having Kimber problems.  From the HCR website:  "Accurizing is no longer offered for Kimber rifles. This is not a statement about Kimber, but is merely the result of our inability to get a consistent result from Accurizing these products."
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2009 at 11:51
I have a new 8400 Kimber Super America in 270 WSM..Im having s few problems with a new press I bought. As soon as I get some loads worked up and on paper,. I will try and remember to give you the scoop on how we did....Im not as good a shooter as lot of folks on this site but we will see how it goes...Im hoping this rifle can perform much better than me! Im also looking at Weatherby's , Coopers and maybe another Kimber....

JF
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2009 at 21:43
Originally posted by TexasPhotog TexasPhotog wrote:

Model 70's are classic rifles and the new ones seem well made.  I say shoot the heck out of it.  Weatherby's are kind of cool, but I think the Sub MOA Vanguards are better values than the Mark V's.  I would not buy a Kimber.  Kimbers are pretty, but our local gunshop has had several wood stocked 7-08's returned lately because they shot patterns, not groups.  Kimber seems to have some QC issues.  Hill Country Rifles' website says they no longer accepts Kimbers for accurizing, so our local gunshop isn't alone in having Kimber problems.  From the HCR website:  "Accurizing is no longer offered for Kimber rifles. This is not a statement about Kimber, but is merely the result of our inability to get a consistent result from Accurizing these products."

Shocked
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic