OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

REDFIELD 3X-9X

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DoubleBuck 30-06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: REDFIELD 3X-9X
    Posted: August/25/2009 at 23:06

I have a REDFIELD 3X-9X scope that is probably 15+ yrs old, it got damaged during a fall.  I can get it fixed for about $80.  are these scopes worth repairing and hanging onto, or only for sentimental value.  My grandpa gave me my rifle before his death,  I know the rifle and scope are out of date, but.....   The rifle: J.C. Higgins 30-06 - belgium action.  This is probably the same as my scope, same writings and finish, anyway..

Thanks,
YOU ARE DOWNSTREAM TOO!!
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2009 at 01:10
If the rifle and scope are the same age it is much more than 15 years old. The JC Higgins brand was ended when Sears started the Ted Williams brand in 1961. It is a keep-able scope but a more modern scope will provide much better service for hunting. I hope you got this photo off of Gunbroker.com because this scope is for sale there and is at $31 ending on Aug. 30. Welcome to the OT.
Lile
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2009 at 02:15
You need to upgrade the scope to a modern optic like a Bushnell 4200  3-9x40 or a Leupold VX3  6x42 long range duplex.  Have the rifle looked over and cleaned by a competent gunsmith and it should be better than new.  Optics have come a long way no sense in fixing that one unless there is some other reason.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2009 at 05:22
  +1  I've had my last steel tubed Weaver fixed.  There are just TOO MANY affordable offerings out there now to worry with the old stuff.  These are the best of times for optics customers.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2009 at 13:07
I haven't had problems with older Redfields on some of my guns but I still use modern scopes for serious hunting rifles.  No sense taking a chance. 

I believe your scope is much older than 15 years.  I'm thinking more like 25?
Oldtrader3 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldtrader3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2009 at 19:09
That particular model of Redfield scope was made during the 1960's.  They did not even have the trademark embossed rings on the ocular lense housing yet with this model.  I recently sold one just like yours.  Mine worked fine and was clear, optically but had no modern coating technology on the lenses and was flared easily.  Also, the aluminum tube was painted and not anodized.
CDR3
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2009 at 21:41
Originally posted by Oldtrader3 Oldtrader3 wrote:

That particular model of Redfield scope was made during the 1960's.  They did not even have the trademark embossed rings on the ocular lense housing yet with this model.  I recently sold one just like yours.  Mine worked fine and was clear, optically but had no modern coating technology on the lenses and was flared easily.  Also, the aluminum tube was painted and not anodized.

Are you sure about the 60's?  According to a well known dealer of vintage scopes the Partner II was mfg'd late 80's to early 90's.  I have some 60's and 70's Redfields that look much older than the one in question.
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2009 at 21:48
Partners were 80s and 90s second string scopes for the KMart market....they might be an alright scope....but I wouldn't put them in the same league as the regular Redfield line....They were, like, $79 when they were new.......I have seen them going for over a hundred dollars and up on ebay....but the people who are buying them don't know what they are doing......they are the kind of people who ask "where was this scope made? " when they are looking at a forty year old Weaver scope.  
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2009 at 21:54
Originally posted by Ed Connelly Ed Connelly wrote:

Partners were 80s and 90s second string scopes for the KMart market....they might be an alright scope....but I wouldn't put them in the same league as the regular Redfield line....They were, like, $79 when they were new.......I have seen them going for over a hundred dollars and up on ebay....but the people who are buying them don't know what they are doing......they are the kind of people who ask "where was this scope made? " when they are looking at a forty year old Weaver scope.  

Hey, I never heard of El Paso!

Sounds like some South American banana republic...Bandito

Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2009 at 21:57
It's a Hot Sauce!!      ( Get a Rope!! )  Bandito
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2009 at 22:03
you can send me that outdated rifle if you don't want it anymore!
take em!
Oldtrader3 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldtrader3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2009 at 22:55
My apologies.  I never had the box and the scope looked like some really early Redfields that I have seen.  With the flat caps and no emboss, I made a wrong assessment.  I had never seen one like it, even the older ones with the old "Gunsight Company" logo.

Edited by Oldtrader3 - August/26/2009 at 22:59
CDR3
DoubleBuck 30-06 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DoubleBuck 30-06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2009 at 19:07
Tip69: sorry, but I will be keeping my rifle, besides rifles don't get outdated only the shooters.  but I think you already agree, or you would not have been so quick to relieve me of it.
YOU ARE DOWNSTREAM TOO!!
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2009 at 19:37
"seen right through it didn't ya!  Alright... I'll tell ya what,  I'll give you $500.00.... what do you say?"

Not sure if that is verbatum or not, but anybody know what movie that line is from?  

take em!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic