OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Zeiss Conquest vs Zeiss Victory ??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m_freeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zeiss Conquest vs Zeiss Victory ??
    Posted: August/31/2009 at 05:17

is there a difference in performance between the conquest and victory lines?

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2009 at 18:10
Yes, the Victory line is Zeiss' flagship binoculars.  Victory is noticeably better than Conquest optically. 
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
m_freeman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m_freeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2009 at 18:24
I assumed so, but was hoping the difference in price was based on egonomics, weight etc.
The only reference I have is looking through cheap binos and I did look through the conquest and was very impressed. I do have the conquest scope on my rifle it seemed as though the binoculars were much better in clarity than my scope but that may be because of the diff between bino and scope.
Acenturian View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2009 at 04:43
The Zeiss Conquest are a good binocular but not in the same glass as the Victory line.  The Victory series is going to be a much brighter pair of binoculars.  Personally, I think the Zeiss Victory series is the brightest out there to my eyes. I have a friend who hunts with Zeiss Victory's me with Swarovski and another friend with Leica.  The Zeiss are brighter then the Swaro or the Lecia.  The sweet spot is much bigger on the Leica and the Swaro's then the Victory
The Conquest are not as bright but are still a very clear nice set of glass and a good buy
If You're In A Fair Fight, You Didn't Plan It Properly

- Anonymous

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2009 at 07:03
My take on the comparison between those 3 excellent binoculars...

The Zeiss has the best CA control (least color fringing) and perhaps the best light transmission of the 3, but with the softest image at the field edge. 

The Swarovski has the largest "sweet spot."  It produces a sharp image almost out to the field edge.

The Leica has better CA control than the Swaro, not as good in that regard as Zeiss.  It has a larger "sweet spot" than Zeiss, a little smaller than Swaro, and enhanced contrast vs. the other two. 

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
308WIN View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308WIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2009 at 07:32
the victory FL are the brightest with best resolution in the center. I have never "needed" anything brighter than my swarovski's though because they "see" later than my zeiss diavari scope. I dont need FL glass because I am not a birder and CA doesnt occur in hunting situations typically, for deer anyway. The swaro has the largest sweet spot or edge to edge sharpness with Meopta right there as well and the Nikon LXL, EDG and SE as well....  I prefer Swaro because i can break them 10 years from now and they will still be in business, repair for free or low cost and upgrade them if my bino is no longer available. Swaro is truly a lifetime purchase and i always get someone on the phone when i call them
308WIN View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308WIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2009 at 07:33
Originally posted by m_freeman m_freeman wrote:

I assumed so, but was hoping the difference in price was based on egonomics, weight etc.
The only reference I have is looking through cheap binos and I did look through the conquest and was very impressed. I do have the conquest scope on my rifle it seemed as though the binoculars were much better in clarity than my scope but that may be because of the diff between bino and scope.
conquest binos have stray light issues, excessive flare
Agustinmx View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Agustinmx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2009 at 18:59
I went to Cabelas and tryed both Swarovski Zeiss Victory and Zeiss Conquest, The Zeiss Conquest was the first I tryed and was OK, Then the Zeiss Victory and then the Swaro when I tryed Both Swaro EL and Zeiss Victory there was a HUGE difference against the Conquests, for me, the Conquest look darker (I was looking at some deer and antelope mounts) the impression I had with the swaros and victorys was like if suddenly would had turned on extra lights in the store! 

some months later after a deep investigation on the web forums I bought the Zeiss Victory 8x42, and I have use them in the night to look outdoors and they're impressive !

MY impression is that the swaros could have a better performance during daylight activities because they are more sharp and the zeiss have a better performance in low light conditions.  If I look far away with my zeiss I do perceive that I need a little more sharpnes to see details (900 -1000 yds) but havent tryed the swaros in this conditions .......

If you hunt very often and travel to remote places in hunting I suggest you to get the Victorys, if hunting isn't your madness then get the conquest....

Just my toughts.... good luck!
Tranan View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tranan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2009 at 15:43
I would say the same.
Optically, one realizes pretty quickly, that there is a clear difference between Victory and Conquest. The feeling when you look through the Victory is: "Wow!". That's a feeling you won't get with the Conquest.
The construction of the Conquest is more fragile as well and not the least, a much ugglier bino than the Victory. A good binocular for the money though.

As far as the comparison with Swarovski and Leica was concerned, I found the three as beeing basicaly similar optically (though the Victory was the one that felt best). I found the size of the Swarovski to be unpractical and so wound up with an Ultravid 8x42 HD which is a delightful bino to use, due to it being more compact.
CHARLIE DON'T SURF!
FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2009 at 18:20
I am genuinely surprised by some of the comments. From a physical perspective I find the Zeiss Conquest ABK to be very similar, physically, to the Zeiss Victory FL series of binoculars. The diopter adjustment is different but other than that I thought they were very similar physically.

Optically they both utilize Abbe-Koenig prisms which makes the image brighter than the more common Schmidt Pechan prisms. However, from what I have gathered through personal experience and from various sources on the internet the Abbe-Koenig design seems to produce more color fringing than the Schmidt Pechan design. That is one reason why Zeiss went with the FL glass objectives...to help correct it.

I did own the 8x40 Conquest ABKs and I was impressed by the bright, sharp image. However, it did suffer from noticeable CA (something that was made more noticeable to me because of the brighter than average image). It had more CA than its smaller Schmidt Pechan counterpart...the 8x30 Conquest. The little Conquest does have a dimmer image than you would expect from a Zeiss bin. The 30 mm objective and conventional roof prism design are the most likely causes.
Frank
Agustinmx View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Agustinmx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2009 at 17:37
I have went to Cabelas Buda yesterday and I don't know why but I feel the swarovsky EL has better image on iluminated places....

I was looking at some elk and sheep mounts in the center of the store and was very clear I said WOW....

Then I was looking at some prognhorns mounts in a dark section and I saw almost the same with both zeiss FL and swaro EL...

I'd like to compare them side by side outdoors in hunting codnitions like dusk to know the truth!!

I also tryed the leuppys switch power golden ring and they are very nice 10x-17x

rstrathman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rstrathman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2009 at 20:38
Wow, i went to turners last night and looked at the swarvo 8x30, nikon 10x42 , and the zeiss 10x30 conquest bt and i have to say the zeiss seemed to me to resolve better on the leopold scope chart on the wall 20 yards away. it even seemed better and brighter then the 8x30 swarvo? it was crystal clear sharp and the best i have ever seen. and i am a swarvo 10x42 fan. but for the price the conquest seemed incredible. now it was at night and i was in the store looking at store objects up to 30 yards away under flourescent lighting. i guess i will try during daytime and see what it looks like. all i can say is i was amazed by the sharpness of conquest. for 699 thats a deal. its funny because  the 10x30 usually would be a "darker" combo but it was brighter then the 8x40 swarvo.

Now you guys really have me going to see through a pair of victory......er maybe i shouldnt.

i just want a nice pair of incredible binoculars thats razor sharp for hiking, birding, mountain long distance viewing, light astronomy (moon ,jupiter etc) is the conquset the right one?
LeakyWaders View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeakyWaders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2009 at 18:00
I'm a birder, and in the military. It's funny, because I get to travel to exotic places (like in the last 3 years...Iraq, Horn of Africa, and now back in the middle east again..ok maybe not exotic but you get the drift) and look for birds on my free time.

It's addicting...like hunting without the kill. Add a scope and a digital camera and it's just like waiting for that perfect shot.

For birding, I need to be able to see the iris/eyepatch, and rump patch sometimes to be able to id the bird. Usually, the bird is in some cover/shade and fidgeting around so as not to give you lots of time to observe. Presently, where I am now (can't say specifics) the birds all fly directly to the shade and land. It's a neat behaviour. But, it makes it challenging to id them without some nice glass. 

So, after reading your post, I'd suggest that you compare the same magnification/size between manufacturers. A 10x is hard to find a little bird in the bush unless you've been doing it for a bit.

So compare 7/8x compact, mids, or full sizes as a group. Then do the same with 10x. Pick and arbitrary number scale (say 1-5) and rate the binocular as you see it. Give the first one you pick up a 3 regardless of manufacturer. Then grade the successive ones either higher or lower than that first one until you detemine your 'winner'.

If there are any birders in your area, they will almost always let you look into their binocular/scope and tell you why they purchased that optic and which optic they replaced it for.

Also to me, binoculars for hiking (compact), birding (compact/mid/full), and mountain long distance viewing and astronomy(tripod mounted) are all different.

Regardless of which binocular you choose...the number one thing is to have it on you to be able to use. Not sitting at home or in the bottom of your pack.

Oh well my 2 cents.
NDhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2009 at 18:14
You mention the 8x40 Swaro. I don't think there is such a thing.  For general use I would suggest something in the 8x42 range.  Probably the best overall size for your needs.

Try giving a call to the people here at SWFA, and they can send you something that will
help you enjoy your viewing pleasure.Smile
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rstrathman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2009 at 21:37
yes I meant 8x42 slc
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2009 at 21:49
Hmm.

I have used the 10x42 Conquest considerably and it is OK, but nothing like the Victory FL. In fact I would rate it below some lower-priced binoculars. It isn't anything special in today's market, especially at the $1000+ price-point.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rstrathman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2009 at 23:16
how does the canon 10x42 l (ed glass) is compare to these others? These seem like an incredible bin, but who has compared them against the swar etc?
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2009 at 06:56
I think maybe there is some confusion between 2 different Conquest binoculars here -- the "regular" Conquest and the "Conquest ABK" (meaning it has Abbe Koenig prisms).  The "non-ABK" Conquest bins have S-P prisms.  I've not seen the Conquest ABK, but I was not all that impressed by the standard Conquest models.  It is certainly a good binocular, but compared to some other solid contenders in the $500 - $800 price range, I think it falls short.  The ones I've seen were certainly nowhere close to Victory FL optical performance.

Edited by RifleDude - October/22/2009 at 06:57
Ted

Tranan View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tranan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2009 at 19:28
I would like to add one more thing which sometimes is forgotten when reviewing optics: the human factor.
I believe that is especially important when comparing high end binoculars. They are often so good optically that it is not so easy to discern the differences. That's when, by trying them you get the feeling of which one is best for your eyes in particular. That is how I excluded the Steiner Peregrine out of my choice. My eyes where just not getting along with them. I do not know why, but that was the feeling.
I would however say that if a buyer is out for a winner, the brands to look at in particular are: Zeiss Victory FL, Swarovski EL and Leica Ultravid HD. Basically regardless of which of these one buys, it's a Jack-Pot.
CHARLIE DON'T SURF!
motts View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2009 at 02:26
Originally posted by John Barsness John Barsness wrote:

Hmm.

I have used the 10x42 Conquest considerably and it is OK, but nothing like the Victory FL. In fact I would rate it below some lower-priced binoculars. It isn't anything special in today's market, especially at the $1000+ price-point.

When you say that you've used the 10x42 Conquest...were they the regular conquest or the ones with ABK prisms?

I always read that Zeiss Conquests are underwhelming for the money...but I never see it specified as ABK or not. I compared a Pentax DCF ED, Vortex Razor, Minox HG, and Zeiss Conquest ABK tonight, all in 10x. Granted, they were all display models, but to me, the Conquest ABK was the brightest of the bunch, and had the most vibrant colors. I thought the Pentax DCF ED was next, then the Minox HG and last...the Vortex Razor.

I was very surprised, because I expected the Pentax and Razor to be quite a bit better than the others. I'm actually considering getting a pair of the Conquest ABKs, but I want to compare them side by side with a Meopta Meostar first.

I get confused when reading on forums because the Zeiss Conquests get less than stellar reviews, but I don't know if people are referring to the ABK or not. Is it safe to assume that unless ABK is stated that people are referring to the standard, non-ABK Conquests? (I know its never safe to assumeWink)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic