OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New SWFA SS 10XHD

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New SWFA SS 10XHD
    Posted: September/07/2009 at 22:08
Ok guys it's about 10pm in the middle of the middle of Texas and I'm just getting home, so tonight it's the Cliff's Notes version.  I'll expand later in the week.

I've had a pair of these  mounted on Stainless Remington 700/5R rifles for about a week now, and have been burning through ammunition like some one else is paying for it.  Last 3 days have been shooting and sleep, repeat cycle, pick up 500 rounds empty brass at end of each cycle.

The rifles are another subject but the scope..........THE SCOPE..........
it's 10x, mil/mil and tracks perfectly to the design tolerence.
Crisp to almost to the edges of the scope, lets say to within 1mm just by eyeball, with great color rendition.  Image quality is very, very good with great depth of field and detail rendition.    In low light performance is above par.  There are 3 dead coyotes that thought they were invisible from 400 yards in low light conditions this past Saturday evening.
Adjustments as stated track and repeat nicely.
Eye relief, you could put this on an un-braked magnum and not get scope cut, even in the prone position.  it's about 4 inches give or take, very generous. 
Parallax is very precise, read that as you will need to pay attantion as the scope is optically very forgiving.  This is an operator issue, not a scope issue.  Placement is Ala standard SuperSniper, rear of the turrets near the ocular.  99% of righties and all lefites will appreciate this placement as it's very convenient.
When placed on a 20moa TPS base and zeroed at 100 yards there are 5 complete turns of the elevation knob remaining...that's 25 mils elevation.  Anyone thinking 408 Cheytac??  It'll adjust farther than most can shoot, just over 85 moa available from zero.

I'm outta gas guys.  More later.
My Best,
Mike
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2009 at 22:18
Excellent review, thank you Mike!!!!  Excellent
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2009 at 04:33
Thank you, Mike.  Great information.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2009 at 06:15
 Thank you Mike!

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2009 at 06:50
No, "through-the-scope" pictures?  I know they don't mean much, but they bug the hell outta ILya, so I always try to include them in my reviews now, for his sake.

Nice write-up, put in more details when time permits.  Are the turrets the same on the 10X as on the 3-9?

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Trays 7940 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trays 7940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2009 at 08:12
Excellent   Good stuff... Can't wait to hear more.

I don't shoot innocent animals, just the one's who look guilty.
2Tonic View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2Tonic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2009 at 01:06
+1 Thunbs Up
"Excreta tauri vincit omnia"
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2009 at 03:19

Thanks

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2009 at 14:34
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

No, "through-the-scope" pictures?  I know they don't mean much, but they bug the hell outta ILya, so I always try to include them in my reviews now, for his sake.

Nice write-up, put in more details when time permits.  Are the turrets the same on the 10X as on the 3-9?

I've been talking to my shrink about those bloody "through the scope" pictures and he says to just let it go.  I think I need a new shrink.  This one has sustained some hmm... unforseen injuries.  That did make me feel better though...

To come back on topic for a bit, the 10x HD is indeed a kick ass scope, and as I put it through its paces I am more and more impressed with it.  I measured the external dimensions of the three Super Snipers I have:

10x42HD 10x42 3-9x42 Overall Lengh, in 13.5 14 13.1 Mounting Length, in 5.7 5.75 5.9 Eyepiece to turret, in 2.1 1.9 2.5 Turret to objective bell, in 2.25 2.7 2.25 Eyepiece length, in 3.25 3.5 3.7 Eyepiece Diameter, in 1.74 1.8 1.64 Objective Bell Diameter, in 1.95 1.95 1.95

All three have a lot of tube available for mounting. I tried to switch them around a little on three different rifles bolt guns and on a Mauser with rather high bolt lift, the original SS had to be mounted a touch higher than others. The new 10x HD has an eyepiece that is just enough slimmer to not give me any problems on any of the rifles I have tried. Although the eyepiece on the 10x HD is the shortest of the three Super Snipers, I ended up mounting it slightly further ahead than the others owing to the longer eye relief it has. The one I have has eyrelief of about 4.2 inches, but there seems to be at least half an inch leeway in eye position fore and aft.

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic