OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Critter Cooking Café
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Homemade High-Protein Dog Treats

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eileen Clarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Homemade High-Protein Dog Treats
    Posted: September/08/2009 at 21:08
Is it just us upland bird hunters that get so wound up in our dogs that we end up baking them 'cookies?'   I used to do a variation with strained chicken or beef.  But one of the members of our Rod & Gun Club mentioned he used game animal livers.  Since I'm a long time abstainer of liver of any species, I had to try that.  
 I've got to warn you though, it's a bit like the old bass-o-matic routine that Saturday Night Live used to do. 

Here it is:

3 pounds (about) raw liver
1 cup water
3 cups flour
2 tablespoons molasses
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon oregano
(And before I get any grief over the oregano, it's a member of the mint family.  Help with doggie breath.)
Grind the liver in a blender; add the water.   Pour into a big bowl and stir in the rest of the ingredients.
Preheat the oven at 350.   Spread the liver mixture evenly on a greased 18x12 baking pan.  With 1" lip to keep it all in.  (Technically, it's a jelly roll pan.)  Bake for 25 minutes, longer if you want crunchy. 
Cool; cut into squares and store in the fridge or freezer. 

My dog thinks these are the cat's meow.  Any bird hunters out there with another recipe?   After all there's only so many livers in the world. 

Eileen
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2009 at 11:52
I plan on making this before "grouse week" the third week of October.
I have used all sorts of treats in the field for the good point/retrieve reward. Some, like the Team Realtree Extreme Fuel Booster Bar, were not well received by the dogs.
This one should work for sure. There is carbs, protein and salt..I like it.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2009 at 13:45
I just fed my greyhound venison cut into 1/2 in chunks... he loved that more than anything.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2009 at 03:05
My wife sometimes would comment I treated my German short hairs better than her during Quail season. LOL! (she may have been right)   Same as Dan, They need extra protein in the field. When Returning from hard day hunting, the dogs get taken care of first, then any human needs second. Most days, my pointers deserved it. 
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Eileen Clarke View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eileen Clarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2009 at 17:15

When the 9yr old dog we have now was in his first season, we hunted pheasant in South Dakota with Cam Wyly.  A pickup full of people and dogs--and at lunch time--Cam drug out the big bag of day-old bakery donut holes--for the dogs.  Big hit.  Since that day, Gideon's been convinced that donuts are dog food.   Can't eat one in front of him.   But his reaction to these liver treats is amazingly similar, and my vet doesn't cringe when I tell him what Gideon eats in the field.

Eileen
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2009 at 23:13
Trays 7940 and Gideon... they'll be fighting all the time.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Eileen Clarke View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eileen Clarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2009 at 21:41
Don't know.  Usually Gideon's a bit of a girly boy, but for donuts, he'd do about anything.
Eileen
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2009 at 01:02
Oh my God ---  my dog want to come over to your house now.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2009 at 07:04
Originally posted by Eileen Clarke Eileen Clarke wrote:

Is it just us upland bird hunters that get so wound up in our dogs that we end up baking them 'cookies?'   I used to do a variation with strained chicken or beef.  But one of the members of our Rod & Gun Club mentioned he used game animal livers.  Since I'm a long time abstainer of liver of any species, I had to try that.  
 I've got to warn you though, it's a bit like the old bass-o-matic routine that Saturday Night Live used to do. 

Here it is:

3 pounds (about) raw liver
1 cup water
3 cups flour
2 tablespoons molasses
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon oregano
(And before I get any grief over the oregano, it's a member of the mint family.  Help with doggie breath.)
Grind the liver in a blender; add the water.   Pour into a big bowl and stir in the rest of the ingredients.
Preheat the oven at 350.   Spread the liver mixture evenly on a greased 18x12 baking pan.  With 1" lip to keep it all in.  (Technically, it's a jelly roll pan.)  Bake for 25 minutes, longer if you want crunchy. 
Cool; cut into squares and store in the fridge or freezer. 

My dog thinks these are the cat's meow.  Any bird hunters out there with another recipe?   After all there's only so many livers in the world. 

Eileen

I'm not big for making my dogs treats but If I had a baggie full of those out on a hunt I might eat them and not give him any. This really don't sound to bad. I still love to give him a jelly bean with a tbl spoon of Penut better as a treat. It also keeps him from licking you for a while. This also keeps the kidds from talking.
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Preston View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Preston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2009 at 22:04
feed em raw eggs
"I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace."
Thomas Payne, Revolutionist
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic