OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Zeiss Diavari-C ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DFMF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zeiss Diavari-C ?
    Posted: July/06/2005 at 22:59

I mistakenly posted this in the Samplelist forum. 

It seems odd to ask for more info about something I own.  I picked up this Zeiss used,  3x9x36, for a good price.  It seems to compare vary favorably, maybe even more clarity, than my Leupold Vari X III  and VX III in 2.5x8x36.  I see that it is not a current model, but I know was made several years ago.  It seems to have a very heavy Z plex reticle, heavier than my duplex in the Leupold. Maybe this is normal for the Zeiss? 

Can someone tell me more about it and where it falls quality wise in today's scope lineups?  I plan to use it on my 338 Win Mag for moose and elk. Thanks.

tbone1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbone1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2005 at 12:55

Basically Zeiss used to make this scope in Germany with T* glass up until around 1996 and then they moved production of this scope to the USA and used MC coated glass.  It was made in the USA until Zeiss replaced that line with the conquest models.  If the scope was made in Germany then it has T* glass and would be very comparable to a Swarovski A-line 3-9x36.  If it was made in the USA then it would compare closely with a Zeiss conquest 3-9x40.  Either way it is a good scope.  You can tell by looking at the ocular.  Does it say "Diavari C 3-9x36 T* Made in Germany" or "Diavari C 3-9x36 MC".  Hope this helps.

DFMF View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DFMF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2005 at 19:57

My scope does not have either the T* or the MC.  Instead, it just says 3-9 x 36 on the top of the eyepiece.  On the opposite side of eyepiece, it says Made in Germany, and has the serial # 671xxx.  From what you say this has to be the T* glass, even though not so designated. 

I think at $299 I got my money's worth.  Thanks much for the information.

tmn3006 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmn3006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2008 at 09:06
Do you want to sell the Zeiss Diavari-C scope. I have had one a my rifle for years and the power ring will no longer turn thereby limiting my power options. Mine is a West German scope and I bought it in 1987. Would love to have a replacement such as your due to the size of the scope.
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2008 at 09:32
OMG!   Bucky   Excellent    DON'T THROW IT AWAY!!!   Ha!  Laugh  It's twice as good as the Leupolds!!  Hee....  If doesn't say made in USA then it's got T* coating,  the same as the big huge Zeiss scopes.....BETTER than the Conquest ( and the Leupold isn't even in the same galaxy as your scope!! )   $299!!!   OMG!!!   Thunbs Up   [I have seen USED ones in the Gun List and people are asking $1200 for them!!!  ]  

You ought to send Leupold an e-mail and tell them about your good fortune!!   Roll on Floor Laughing
Speedtrip1979 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedtrip1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2010 at 08:34
I just read this thread and realized that I have one of these scopes.  I bought a used muzzle loader several years back.  I knew it had a zeiss scope on it, but I never looked into what model the scope is.  What would you estimate the worth of the scope today... this thread is a couple years old. 

Thanks
Dustin
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2010 at 12:25
If its an MC < $500, if its a T < $750.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
bun007burger View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bun007burger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2013 at 05:49
good morning to all.its a lovely day in ireland today.i have been reading the forum for years,its great and so i decided to join today....why not !
anyway i picked up a slightly dinged up 3-9x36 zeiss diavari german a few days ago....this is a superb piece of glass for 250 euros.
its destined for a kimber 84m which i am awaiting from uk.
so there thats my tuppence worth for toooooday.Cool
james portroe
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2013 at 09:55
Welcome to the OT bun!Keep chimming in the more the merrier Excellent
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic