OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Harvest Report

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 13>
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2009 at 21:58
Congrats to all harvesters so far. Some great stories here. Ended my season with my antlerless deer tonight. I did my homework to know where the deer would be moving, and set up for a shot at that spot. Unfortunately it came out a little further down the field than I had figured. I had a 1/2 hr. of light left so I waited for her to come closer. She got into the harvested corn, and ate for a while, never coming my way. I tried to range her several times, but there were weeds between me and her, and I couldn't get one. I ranged two irrigation pivots, knowing she was centered between them, and guessed the rest. By now it was pretty dark, and she was in the weeds. I couldn't see where I was supposed to shoot. When she raised her head, I centered the #3 bar of my Rapid-Z800 at the top of her back, and the 400 yard mark low on the vitals, and squeezed one off. I didn't see anything run away, so I walked down there, and "HE" was right where he had stood. He was hit a bit high (like in the spine). I can't explain why I hit so high, as I ranged back to where I shot from, and the hold should have been perfect. Either way, I'm done now, and didn't finish with one of my prouder shots. But my buddy has shot twice, and hasn't hit anything brown yet.Big Smile

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2009 at 08:46
Originally posted by trigger29 trigger29 wrote:

Congrats to all harvesters so far. Some great stories here. Ended my season with my antlerless deer tonight. I did my homework to know where the deer would be moving, and set up for a shot at that spot. Unfortunately it came out a little further down the field than I had figured. I had a 1/2 hr. of light left so I waited for her to come closer. She got into the harvested corn, and ate for a while, never coming my way. I tried to range her several times, but there were weeds between me and her, and I couldn't get one. I ranged two irrigation pivots, knowing she was centered between them, and guessed the rest. By now it was pretty dark, and she was in the weeds. I couldn't see where I was supposed to shoot. When she raised her head, I centered the #3 bar of my Rapid-Z800 at the top of her back, and the 400 yard mark low on the vitals, and squeezed one off. I didn't see anything run away, so I walked down there, and "HE" was right where he had stood. He was hit a bit high (like in the spine). I can't explain why I hit so high, as I ranged back to where I shot from, and the hold should have been perfect. Either way, I'm done now, and didn't finish with one of my prouder shots. But my buddy has shot twice, and hasn't hit anything brown yet.Big Smile

adrenaline can do that to anybody i dont care how many deer youve shot. look at it on the bright side trigger, you ended up with more meat than you had the day before.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
trigger29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2009 at 10:54
It wasn't a bad shot considering the conditions it was taken in, but not near as proud as last years shot. Deer still dropped where it stood. No tracking required. I was surprised how the Berger bullet had opened up, and plowed a big hole out the back side. I have no doubts that if you put that in the boiler room, it could drop critters right now.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2009 at 11:15
You said Berger bullet?  What weight and style please.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

trigger29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2009 at 11:18
.30 cal 185gr. VLD coming out at 3050. Parked the truck where the deer stood, and ranged to it after it was all over. He stood at 388. Would have been nice to know that before the shot!

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2009 at 11:49
3050 is cooking for 185gr!  Nice shot too! 
Little high but still in the switch! A DTWYS!
Clean kill, can't hope for better!  ExcellentExcellentExcellent
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2009 at 12:08
.300wby will put them out there that fast pretty easily.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
trigger29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2009 at 14:40
Originally posted by budperm budperm wrote:

3050 is cooking for 185gr!  Nice shot too! 
Little high but still in the switch! A DTWYS!
Clean kill, can't hope for better!  ExcellentExcellentExcellent
What is DTWYS?

I've had the Berger's coming out at 3250 with IMR-7828, but they were not as temp stable as with the H-1000. They shoot about 1/2 moa from 30-75 degrees so far, and pretty much always 3040-3050. I have 50 rounds down the tube, and still shooting good. I can load 1 each from 86.5-88gr. in 1/2gr. increments, and they will go into one sub moa group. I've been very happy with it so far, and the 200fps loss doesn't bother me.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2009 at 14:53
you will find that pretty much any imr powders will not be near as stable as the extreme series H powders. i use imr 4064 in my .375H&H as well as my .22-250 but i use h-1000 in my .264 and imr 7828 in my 6.5rem mag. i havent noticed any huge poi shifts with my loads. i generally try to test them in dead of winter when its super cold up here and sight the rifles in for those conditions. as warm as it was here during rifle season this year i was a little worried about poi shift. at 21 paces my H&H was dead on. the nice thing about the wby is that it shoots flat naturally so, you have some room to wiggle.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
cbm View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2009 at 11:46
Congrat's guys !! I have been bow hunting a little and had no luck lately ! Two bucks have come in on me too late to shoot .........been exciting but no shots so far !!

I did go rifle hunting on Thanksgiving morning and shot a cull buck at about 175 yrds in a cut over. He dropped and then got up and ran 20 yrds and went down. I shot him with the 6.5x55 Encore and a 140 grain fusion bullet.

Emailed Cooper the other day and hopefully my Excalibur will be back soon(said they are shooting it again and it'll be ready to go). So hopefully I will be able to actually hunt with it this year !!!!  Our season in SC is starting to wind down.........but the rut in AL should start kicking in , in a few weeks, and my friend's and family are seeing some nice deer sign down there !! So hopefully the Cooper will see some action down that way .......wouldn't suprise me to have to hunt with the Encore all year though !!
BillyWayne View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyWayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2009 at 07:10

Rifle season ends Sunday for me.  I may have to take Friday off ( I have use 'em or lose 'em days available ).  I have seen 10 deer this year and have seen something all but 2 days of hunting this year.  I must have found a good spot because I know a lot of people putting lots of time in and have seen nothing.  Rut seems to be late here this year.  It has been warm and I have seen does but only one buck and he was alone.  I hope to see more pictures from you and your deer.  I probably will have nothing to post.  I go in search of wall hangers and I usually get deer-poop soup. 

John 11:35
The're taking the hobbits to Isengard!!
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2009 at 07:38
Thats what happens when you forever aim for the stars.  Usually a whole lot of nothing!  If you aim at an achievible, obtainable goal you are much more likely to walk-away with something.  Had a friend that went 10 years without pulling the trigger, looking for that once in a lifetime wallhagger.  He let numerous deer go by always looking for that trophy.
Finally got that trophy last year!  Looks pretty on the wall too he says!  But when he stops and thinks about all the past opportunitites he missed he figures he could have had a heck of a lot more meat and pictures to look at now!
--Thomas Jefferson

BillyWayne View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyWayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2009 at 08:24
I guess I need to define "wallhanger."  In my parts a 4 pointer is a "wallhanger."  My uncle has an oddball crooked-as-all-get-out-lopsided 5 pointer on his wall.  There is a reason that the deer hunting vidoes never have hunts from up in these parts. 
John 11:35
The're taking the hobbits to Isengard!!
SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2009 at 08:59
The term "Trophy" is relative.  If you the hunter is satisfied, that is all that matters.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2009 at 09:18
Originally posted by SD Dog SD Dog wrote:

The term "Trophy" is relative.  If you the hunter is satisfied, that is all that matters.

no doubt Big john, for me any deer i shoot is a trophy horns or not. as long as its not a fawn i will shoot. for me putting meat in the freezer is priority #1, if its a nice deer thats just more icing on the cake.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2009 at 09:30
Ahhh!   Te best reason to hunt!  Hunger!
--Thomas Jefferson

cbm View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2009 at 19:09
Shot a nice 7pt this evening. A front is moving in this weekend and it seems like it's got the deer moving already.

I had decided late today to go hunting and hoofed it out in a hurry(like hunting in my work clothes and just a camo jacket)Bucky. I made it to my stand in time for a quick 45 min hunt. I decided to grap my son's .223 and headed out. The deer came out late and was facing me so I shot him in the neck at about 125 yrds . He just dropped. Was using the 64 grn Win powerpoint again. Hit him just below the white patch.

So my SC is probably done . I may bow hunt one or two more times, but will probably wait till I can go back home to AL before I get serious about it again. Has been just an awesome season................actually my best in SC but my son killing his deer has definately been the highlight of my season !!

Edited by cbm - December/03/2009 at 19:11
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2009 at 20:41
 Good deal, cbm!
 Did the bullet exit?
I'll guess that it did even if it hit vertabrae...

There's a pretty interesting thread going on in AR15. com. about the .223 and deer hunting. It's gaining a lot of devotees. It sure seems to do the job with the right bullet and good shot placement, (as you are well aware.)

cbm View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2009 at 21:06

Man, I have been meaning to get back with you about post mordem kills with the .223 but my computer at work will not let me do pm's or many other things on this site.

Anyway, I am at the house now. I did not really look hard tonight but from the angle I was shooting (20ft up or so) I think it just went down his neck into the chest cavity. One of my buddies wanted a deer so I just dropped him off at the processer for him. I have seen a wide array of stuff with the .223 but the end result is usually a dead deer within 40 yrds .

Some bullets have exited at 75-100 yrds and some have been in the opposite side hide.The bullets I have recovered have been a textbook mushroom , that was about all you could have asked for with any caliber. I have cleaned about half of our kills myself and have had half processed. So only speaking for the ones I have cleaned myself..............the damage has been impressive. Looks much more like a .30-06 168grn ballistic tip damage than you would think. It makes my old .30-30 look like a whimp. There is always a ton of just jellied piles of blood gushing out of the cavity of these deer with the .223 and the 64 grn PP or even the 60grn NP I used with the first .223.

It is really an awesome thing to shoot so confindently , with so little recoil you can see the impact, and still find the deer so easily ...............with such a small cartridge. I really am sitting here wondering why I don't sell 3-4 rifles and just buy more ammo for the .223 !!?? LOL

Edited by cbm - December/03/2009 at 21:20
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2009 at 21:38
 That's pretty neat.
 Thanks for sharing your observations! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 13>
  Share Topic