OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Elite 4200 or Weaver Grand Slam

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TxRzrBk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Elite 4200 or Weaver Grand Slam
    Posted: September/20/2009 at 22:35
I am shopping for a scope for my tikka t3 stainless lite 30-06, I am replacing an older model vx-iii 2.5-8.  I hunt southern forest and some fields with shots that could be a little beyond 200 yards, it is common to hunt in low light bottoms and rain, mist etc.  

I have narrowed my search down to the Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9x40 or the Weaver Grand Slam 3-10x40.  I was originally targeting the Bushnell 2.5-10x40 w/ firefly but found the scope to be very bulky, I would like to  the 2.5-10 but the size does not seem to make sense given the rifle it is going on.  I am confused as to why the 2.5-10 is so much larger and more expensive than the 3-9 even though they are from the same line and should be of very similar specifications.

I took a long look at the 4200 (2.5-10 and 3-9) alongside the Nikon Monarch and the newer vx-3 today and I was very impressed with both Bushnell scopes.  I can't seem to find any local retailer in my area with the Weaver in stock so I need some help on the comparison.

From reading it seems the Weaver has equivalent optics and has a better finish and appearance and a better warranty.  The Bushnell has Rainguard and seems to be quite a bit more popular and I can actually look at it before I buy it.  Price differnce between all of the scopes is negligible.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, also if there is a scope that I should look at that matches up with what I am looking at I am all ears.

danjojoUSMC View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danjojoUSMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2009 at 22:56

The 3-9x40 should be perfect for you, if you want smaller you are gonna have to go to a different Bushnell series or another brand, unless you would feel ok with the 1.25-4x illuminated model.  4x is easy to shoot out to 500 yards but it has to feel right for you personally. 

If you want the size of the animal at 9x then other companies 3-9x40's or similar are not going to get much more compact or lighter...maybe an ounce or two or an inch or two.

You hunt with the nasty weather so the RainguardHD is there and you already have confidence and contentment with the optical quality of the scope.

This one is the closest thing to the 4200 3-9x40 but will be $30 more after rebate, I don't know if you can check these out at the store

I don't know if you already know about it, but you do have a year to decide that you don't like the Elite 4200 after you purchase it.

TxRzrBk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TxRzrBk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2009 at 08:26
I have heard nothing but good about Sightron so I guess the Big Sky should be on the list too.  Unfortunately I can't get my hands on the Sightron or the Weaver...yet.

So it is Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9x40, Weaver Grand Slam 3-10x40 or Sightron Big Sky 3-9x42.
Randall45 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randall45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2009 at 09:04
Originally posted by TxRzrBk TxRzrBk wrote:

I have heard nothing but good about Sightron so I guess the Big Sky should be on the list too.  Unfortunately I can't get my hands on the Sightron or the Weaver...yet.

So it is Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9x40, Weaver Grand Slam 3-10x40 or Sightron Big Sky 3-9x42.
 Call Sightron the customer service is top notch.I have all three scopes and love the clarity of the Sightron S2 Big Sky.Also Sightron has a $50.00 rebate also.For my eyes the Sightron Big Sky is the winner. 
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2009 at 10:52
I went with a Nikon Team Primos on my T3 Lite in 30-06. I wanted something 13oz or less. A Monarch 2-8x32 might be an even better choice. The little Monarch is one of my favorite scopes. I mounted one of those on a small Howa.

Edited by sholling - September/21/2009 at 10:53
NRA, SAF, & CRPA life member
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. ;)
Sandracer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2009 at 11:05
I bought a 3-9x40 4200 for my son , he has the T3 lite in 300 WSM. He thinks it is a perfect match, light weight, compact, good optics, tracks well, no P.O.I. shift between powers and Rainguard. He liked it so well I put one on my 300 Wby and my 270 win model 700. All shoot 1/2 inch groups. 
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danjojoUSMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2009 at 11:53

sholling, are those both equipped with the Talley Lightweight Aluminum mount/rings?

Look like two beautiful packages, the look of the Nikons is starting to grow on me a lot, and any one inch tube with an objective of 32-44mm has beautiful lines...long as there isn't tons of white lettering plastered all over or a huge illumination control knob.

I think that those would be great for TxRzrBk too especially if he does not want the plain old plex reticle.
TxRzrBk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TxRzrBk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2009 at 12:10
The feedback is greatly appreciated

I did look at the Nikon Monarch next to the 4200 and the new VX-3, at least for my eyes the Nikon was the best looking scope but the 4200 was the best performing scope.  I was hoping not to change my rings but it sounds like I might need to revisit that.  What is the reason for changing the rings?  Will the rings add additional weight?

I guess at this point it is safe to say that I am right to have eliminated the 4200 2.5-10 from the lineup?
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2009 at 12:13
Both have Talley Lightweights. My 300WM has a Burris Signature Select in a DedNutz Game Reaper but the DedNutz works best with a scope with a long mounting area like the Burris.

Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2009 at 12:16
I don't like Tikka's factory rings. They weigh way too much and have a reputation for not holding well. 

boliodogs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boliodogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2009 at 12:46
I have the 4200 3-9x40, the 4200 2.5-10x40 and the Weaver Grand Slam 3-10x40 so I can give you some info. on the G.S. On my scale the 4200 2.5-10 is 16 ounces, the 4200 3-9 is 14.3 ounces and the 3-10x40 Grand Slam is 12.7 ounces. The Weaver has a about a foot or two more f.o.v. at 3 power than the 4200 3-9 at 3 power. Eye relief is the same on the 4200 3-9 and the Weaver. The 4200 2.5-10x40 has less eye relief than the other two scopes. The Weaver is just over 12 inches long anc the 4200 3-9x40 is 12.4 inches long. The Leupold 3-9x40 vxll is 12 ounces and the 2-7x32 is 10.5 ounces. The vx3 2.5-8x36 is just over 11 ounces and that is the scope on my T3 300 Winchester mag.
TxRzrBk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TxRzrBk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2009 at 12:49
Great info boliodogs thanks many - So which is the best of the 3 scopes?
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danjojoUSMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2009 at 12:53
I keep seeing those dednutz mounts popping up on the web and they seem very interesting, really like the super low scope position.  Have also seen people saying to junk the Tikka factory rings or sell them to a Tikka owning buddy. 

TxRzrBk I don't see how 2.5-10 is worth more than a 3-9....maybe if it came with improved knobs or it was a 3-12 with a side focus....but not just a 2.5-10.

If you got that "feeling" for a certain thing and you know already it's as good or possibly better than the others in consideration I think it's a purchase.  When I felt like me and my wife really needed a cheap pistol I chose a few from knowledge of specs, reputation, price, etc. and then the one that had that "feeling" for me...same way my wife had that "feeling" and we took it home.

I know there are technically better choices we could of made in hindsight but because it felt right for me I can shoot that thing quickly and accurately better than a full-sized service pistol from 5-25 yards.  I think when stuff feels right for you the confidence and clarity it brings helps your perform better than ever expected.
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2009 at 13:13
Keep in mind that 2.5-10x40 are the standard bread and butter offerings by both Bushnell and Nikon in their premium 4200 and Monarch product lines. The Bushnell 3-9x40 is just a limited availability economy offering to compete with Nikon's Team Primos. Both are priced competitively with their cheaper 3200 and Buckmaster lines.

TxRzrBk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TxRzrBk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2009 at 13:24
boliodogs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boliodogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2009 at 16:55
I think the 3 scopes are in the same class. The 4200 2.5-10 has that wide power spread and big field of view at low power which is a plus. It is also heavy at 16 ounces and short on eye relief for me anyway. I put the 2.5-10 on a very heavy 300 weatherby that has a gentry muzzle brake so it does not kick hard. The weatherby  weighs 10.5lbs. unscoped so a heavy scope really does not change much. With the light recoil of this rifle a short eye relief is no problem. I would not put the 2.5-10 on your rifle because it is a beautiful lightweight and I would not want a heavy scope to change it into a middleweight. also your rifle is a kicker so I would want more eye relief. For your rifle I would go with the Weaver 3-10 by a very small margin because you save a little weight and get 10 power instead of 9 power on the top end. The Weaver has a good reputation for toughness and reliability but the 4200 has an even better reputation and has been around longer. The 4200 3-9x40 is a great choice too. For $400 you could also buy the wonderful Zeiss Conquest 2.5-8x32. This scope weghs 13.5 ounces and a 40 foot field at 2.5 and goes to a true 8 power on the top end. It has tons of eye relief and such a clear view. Try to see the Zeiss before you make your pick.
boliodogs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boliodogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2009 at 17:17
After  my last post I saw the specs you put up from factory specs. The specs I gave you I checked carefully today. I promise you the Weaver is at least 1.5 ounces lighter than the 4200 3-9x40. Also the 4200 2.5-10 has less eye relief than the 4200 3-9x40 no matter what Bushnell says. 
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2009 at 17:32
Actually I have to agree with the more eye relief is good comment. It's why I have a Nikon on my 30-06 and a Burris SS on my 300WM. I wouldn't want less than 3-1/2" of eye relief on my Tikkas. Been there done that and thankfully the forehead bruises are long gone. Big Grin

TxRzrBk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TxRzrBk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2009 at 20:41
I am going to go look at the Weaver and the Zeiss hopefully tomorrow then pull the trigger on one of them.  I found the Zeiss for $350.

In the back of my mind I still think the Bushnell 3-9 is the right choice, that is because of how much I liked it when I looked at it next to the vx3 and the monarch...not to mention I can get it for less than $250.  I think the rainguard might be worth the small disadvantage in size and eye relief, I can't tell you how may times I have had fogging issues from my breath and had trouble seeing in the rain.  We shall see if the Zeiss or the Weaver can change my mind :)
TxRzrBk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TxRzrBk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2009 at 12:32
Thanks to all of you for your input - this is a great forum.
I know this was predictable but I am going with the 4200 3-9x40 - I could not get my hands on the Zeiss without another trip to basspro and I like the 4200 so much that I can't look any further.  I looked at the Weaver today and it is a very nice scope but IMO it isn't any better than the 4200 and the 4200 has rainguard.

I am going to order some new rings with the scope and need some help there.  Should I go with the DNZ or use the Talley rings on the factory groove?  Also I assume I need medium rings for the 40mm scope or would lows work?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic