OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - winchester black shadow rate of twist in 223 wssm.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

winchester black shadow rate of twist in 223 wssm.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boliodogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: winchester black shadow rate of twist in 223 wssm.
    Posted: September/27/2009 at 22:24
I can not find out what the twist rate is in the black shadow in 223wssm. Does anyone know what the twist is?
hunterwingler View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2009 at 22:55
i seen something on midway usa t.v.  show once how 2 check it it something to do with a cleaning rod and some tape. i dont remember how it was done. some else on here might. this methed should work on any fire arm if i remember right.

Edited by hunterwingler - September/27/2009 at 22:55
I wasn't upset about the black cat crossing my path this morning but mouthing "your fu@#ed" as he passed was just rude.

If Guns kill people mine are all defective
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2009 at 06:18
the browning version is a 1:10 so i would assume the winchester is as well.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
boliodogs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boliodogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2009 at 19:00
Thanks for the information. The rifle is at a gunshop and they did not know the rate of twist. Since then I heard these rifles were not accurate so I will ask about that.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2009 at 21:56

It looks like many of the WSM's and WSSM's shoot best with a carefully tuned reloads. I have only shot one and it was not to bad a shooter but it sure was loud. Wear good ear protection. The .223 WSSM is in the back.

Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2009 at 06:27
i had a 25wssm and it was in the same winchester rifle as the op refers to. mine was not a shooter, very finicky. never seen such a finicky rifle. i tried three different bullet weights from three different company's and i dont know how many different powders i tried but i never got it to shoot moa or better 1.5moa was the best i could do, i was disgusted with that and sent it down the river. i know a few people up here who have them as well, the one guy got rid of his. my brother in law has one, but its a browning and never been handloaded for. and a friend of mine's son has one in a browning as well and it shoots pretty well with handloads. it could be winchester, ive never been around a bad shooting browning abolt II.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
boliodogs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boliodogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2009 at 08:19
Thanks for helping me with this. I do not handload so I like a rifle that shoots well with good ammo. It sound like the 223 wssm is hard to work with so I will just pass on it and get something more accurate.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2009 at 20:16
i dont know that its hard to work with talk to dale clifford he has one. i just know they can be hard on barrels cause they are fast as hell.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic