OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Shooting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Tactical Carbine Courses

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BGonzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tactical Carbine Courses
    Posted: September/29/2009 at 16:23
Can anyone suggest any good carbine and or pistol courses offered in the south...I'm from Texas and would rather attend one in-state but if its worth it I would travel.

I did find "Tiger Valley" in Dallas, TX and they seem to be pretty legit, but if any of you have experience with them or any info (good or bad) then please let me know...

Thanks!
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2009 at 16:28
The best way to get the course you want, is to host it.  See who is traveling through your area is a good idea. 
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Ick View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional
ICK, Ed's BOY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2009 at 21:44
If you are really serious, get these two DVDs first.

Really good stuff.

A class is a good idea, but there is a lot to learn on these DVDs first.

The second one is REALLY good.
--
Ick, Ed's boy,www.ick.bz
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2009 at 07:13
TacPro Shooting Center.  Google it.
 I-20 west to exit 370 then 6 miles south.  17 miles north of Stephenville Tx, and about 90 minutes from you.

Learn from a real deal SpecOps guy.
Trays 7940 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trays 7940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2009 at 10:03
Mike, is that the range out in Mingus, Tx. ?

I don't shoot innocent animals, just the one's who look guilty.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2009 at 10:05
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2009 at 22:18
Well it's kinda in the Mingus area, but that's mileading. Mingus is just the nearest post office.
Hiway 108 17 miles north of Stephenville, 6 miles south of I-20.

Membership or friend with membership gets you access to the long range.
Let me know if you want to go shoot some distance on the weekends.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2009 at 22:25
Dang, I miss the wide open spaces of Texas.  I'm going to have to move home, someday...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
BGonzo View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BGonzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2009 at 20:24
Thanks fellas for all the ideas...I'm definitely considering those Magpul dvd's pretty soon, then a class when I can afford it
Ick View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional
ICK, Ed's BOY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2009 at 10:33
The DVDs will give you some idea of how classes are before you shell out all that cash. 

Frontsight.com also seems pretty reputable.
--
Ick, Ed's boy,www.ick.bz
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2009 at 10:46
Originally posted by Ick Ick wrote:

Frontsight.com also seems pretty reputable.

Frontsight is a good school, I have a membership there and have take 15 or 20 classes with them.  But its in Nevada.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Ick View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional
ICK, Ed's BOY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2009 at 10:59
I almost flew out for one of their courses, almost.  Unfortunately the Steelers went to the super bowl and the Penguins won the stanley cup.  Spent too much "recreational coin" going to those so nothing left for a course....

Perhaps in the future.

Supertool, does the frontsight rifle course remind you of what Magpul has to offer?

Here is a sample of the DVD:

Oh, a pause for a moment.  These magpul courses "seem" pretty hardcore.  Although I will never fire my rifle in defense like this a course in this manner... would be a blast.

I was wondering if Frontsight covers a similar approach or more "brainy" approach.  From what I understand magpul has a classroom aspect too.

I also wonder if frontsight would be as exciting, lol.  These magpul guys sure sell "sizzle" of the steak and make it look fun.

Edited by Ick - October/02/2009 at 11:08
--
Ick, Ed's boy,www.ick.bz
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2009 at 11:09
The advanced rifle class is a like like that vid.  It was a freaking blast.  You use rifles and handguns.  You do a lot of scenarios in shoot houses and obstacle course type stuff.  A little in two and 4 man teams.  It is all in dirt though and gravel though.  That grass looked so nice.  lol

You have to pass the beginner rifle class with a distinguished graduate to get into it though.  The test is shooting and weapon manipulation on a static range.  Easy for some really hard for others.  I know people who have taken the class 5 and 6 times and can still not pass the test.  Others do it on the first try.  Just depends on your ability and talents as a shooter. 

First day of the advanced rifle class the guy that teaches it puts you through his own test.  Which is accuracy and speed shooting along with weapon manipulation.  If you are not good enough he kicks you out right there so you don't hold the rest of the class down. 

The head instructor of that class is just a civilian, but he has taken something over 600 classes from different schools and training centers all over the country over the last 20 or so years.  He knows his stuff and he is a lot of fun to work with.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2009 at 11:10
They do have a lot of classroom discussion as well probably an hour or so every day of the 4 days.  Ultimately the class is based on self/home defense, but offensive stuff is taught as well.

Ick View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional
ICK, Ed's BOY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2009 at 11:10
...see, now you have me torn between the two.... thanks, you jerk.

lol.
--
Ick, Ed's boy,www.ick.bz
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2009 at 11:18
Glad I could help.  Wink

silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2009 at 11:41
Video are nice, but you can quickly waste enough money to pay for the down for a class. Dirty Harry
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2009 at 14:41
In addition to the ones listed here, I would include Pat Rogers for an excellent carbine course. Several friends of mine have attended Pat's courses and loved it.  

Larry Vickers might be traveling through your AO too, if he's still training.
BGonzo View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BGonzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2009 at 15:21

Damn son all those FrontSight courses are expensive as hell...I'm sure they're good but whatever job you have that can pay for that, I want in! lol

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2009 at 16:06
Actually with Front Sight they sell lifetime memberships.  I agree the class prices are insane, but that is just to get people to buy lifetime memberships.

The way to get in if you are interested is getting on his email list.  It is almost spam bad, but everyonce and a while he comes out with a good lifetime deal that just offeres just a few classes as part of the membership for a pretty small sum.  A lot of times it is between $1500 and $3000.  Which allows you to take those classes as many times as you want for life.  Then he sells upgrades to the members.  I bought a lifetime membership that allows me to take any class then offer and it cost me $4900.  The one I had before cost me $1000 so I am into it basically $6000.  Say I have taken 17 classes, that is only $350 per class. 

It seems like a pyramid scheme I know.  But I have been a member for 5 years and they have never cancel a class or had any problems.  THey have been around for over 12 years now and just keep on a trucking.  A lot of people don't like the way the owner does business, but still the instructors are great and have a ton of knowledge to share and classes are a lot of fun and you can learn a lot.  And the more classes I continue to take the cheaper it was for me in the long run.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic