OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

DMS reticle sizes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 686+ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DMS reticle sizes
    Posted: October/10/2009 at 21:24

I am looking at the DMS  manual and it says 12.6moa outisde the circle, and 10moa inside.  Then it proceeds to go to the table and lists 12.6" as the outside and 10" as the inside of the circle.  The table also does not follow the sizes I would imagine it should list as the magnification changes.

4X 12.6” 10”

3X 18” 15"

2X 25” 20"

1X 51.6” 43"

Does anyone know if the circles are MOA or inches?  Are the other sizes listed accurate?
Just trying to see how well I can learn to use the reticle for ranging estimation.

danjojoUSMC View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danjojoUSMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2009 at 22:25
I think it is MOA but they are using inches in reference to it in the manual just because it is easier to comprehend.  They discuss it for use in ranging and you know the size of objects, animals, and people in inches and feet...not MOA.

Are you wanting to use it for hold over? 

The way they are produced I would see what your doughnut-dot reticle is specifically and not go off of what it is supposed to be or what somebody else has measured.  Use a target similar to the ones people use for sight-in that has one-inch grids.
"When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be"

"Every part of life comes into focus just as you are about to pull the trigger."
686+ View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 686+ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2009 at 00:17
Yes, to do range estimation and holdovers.  With the amiguity in the chart I can't finish my ranging and holdover cheat sheet.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic