OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > The Range Report
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

6.8 SPC vs. 500-pound boar

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2010 at 13:27
Only took the one with the 6.8, having to put 5 well-placed shots in a big animal was all it took for me to sell that sucker (for every penny I had in it, I came out OK.)

I hunt for the extremes, not the median experience.  Better to have and not need than need and not have.

All that said, I have hunted places where a 200-pounder is big, I would feel fine hunting there with a 6.8, no problem.  The palce where I took the big boy, the friend (stupid one who trots off into the dark woods with a wounded hog around) took a 400-pounder last year and I took a 350 on that same hunt.  Where big hogs live, I want power - and lots of it.  Where little pigs live, I've taken a hog or 2 at range with a 1911.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
SD Dog View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2010 at 13:35
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Only took the one with the 6.8, having to put 5 well-placed shots in a big animal was all it took for me to sell that sucker (for every penny I had in it, I came out OK.)

Pays to learn quickly.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2010 at 16:52
Don't get me wrong, I'd take a 6.8 over a 5.56 any day of the week, but 68-grains doesn't compare to 110-grains - and both pale in comparison to 168-grains.

That, and I know the ballistics of a .308 round better than I do almost anything else in the world.  Especially women.  There is confidence in that.  The .308.  Not the women.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2010 at 17:36

That, and I know the ballistics of a .308 round better than I do almost anything else in the world.  Especially women.  There is confidence in that.  The .308.  Not the women.

Most excellent!Excellent

Doug
AstroVic View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AstroVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2010 at 23:15

I couldn't have said it any better myself!  LOL :)
Texaslawman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texaslawman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2011 at 13:46
6.8 is plenty for pigs I killed between 400-500 last year. The reason he didn't die right there was shot placement. If you hit right behind the ear you hit nothing but meat on a smaller pig might have snapped his neck maybe. Best shot for pigs is ded center of the neck right in front of the shoulder. Anything higher is just meat.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2011 at 13:54
wow, that is alot of pigs.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2011 at 15:05
Welcome to OT, Texaslawman!

WOW!  And I thought I killed a lot of pigs annually!

I've not had problems with 6.8 on pigs so far.  I've not killed a pig that weighed 500 with anything yet, though.  The largest pigs I've killed so far with the 6.8 were a shade over 200, and the largest I've killed with anything were between 350 - 400. 

I either go for brain shots, directly on the shoulder, or right in front of the shoulder at the base of the neck.  You're correct that a pig's vitals is further forward in the chest cavity than other critters like a deer; basically right behind the shoulder.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2011 at 15:20
Originally posted by Texaslawman Texaslawman wrote:

6.8 is plenty for pigs I killed between 400-500 last year. The reason he didn't die right there was shot placement. If you hit right behind the ear you hit nothing but meat on a smaller pig might have snapped his neck maybe. Best shot for pigs is ded center of the neck right in front of the shoulder. Anything higher is just meat.
How many of those 400-500 pigs you killed where over or near 500lbs?
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2011 at 15:35
If you shoot 'em in the brain, it doesn't matter how much they weigh and they will drop in their tracks with any CF round.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2011 at 15:37
From what RC said he did
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2011 at 15:40
Evidently it missed the brain slightly, or it would have dropped immediately.  No animal can survive a second with a bullet through the brain.
Ted

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2011 at 15:41

must have.

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2011 at 15:43

I was just behind the ear, must have missed the brain and the spine.
Ted

tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2011 at 00:19
I have killed many, many, hogs and my experience mirrors that of Ted and texas lawman... I like the brain shot and the base of the neck. If it is a huge hog... 500+ lbs., I like to break the front shoulders. He can't run so good then, and then anchor him with a shot to the head. I learned a long time ago to NEVER shoot a big hog just once, even if you think he is down for the count. too many times I have seen them just lay there until you get close and then jump up and charge! ( unless of course it is a perfect brain shot ) my current favorite calibers are the 35 rem and 444 marlin for close work, and the 308, 270 and 30-06 for distance work.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2011 at 09:01
Originally posted by tman1965 tman1965 wrote:

I have killed many, many, hogs and my experience mirrors that of Ted and texas lawman... I like the brain shot and the base of the neck. If it is a huge hog... 500+ lbs., I like to break the front shoulders. He can't run so good then, and then anchor him with a shot to the head. I learned a long time ago to NEVER shoot a big hog just once, even if you think he is down for the count. too many times I have seen them just lay there until you get close and then jump up and charge! ( unless of course it is a perfect brain shot ) my current favorite calibers are the 35 rem and 444 marlin for close work, and the 308, 270 and 30-06 for distance work.

I like your caliber choices, all very good (except for 270... a useless caliber that somehow gained some popularity), but you should add .458 to the mix.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2011 at 11:48
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Originally posted by tman1965 tman1965 wrote:

I like your caliber choices, all very good (except for 270... a useless caliber that somehow gained some popularity), but you should add .458 to the mix.  
I'm actually going to look at a remington model 798 in 458 win mag this afternoonWink
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texaslawman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2011 at 00:08
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

Originally posted by Texaslawman Texaslawman wrote:

How many of those 400-500 pigs you killed where over or near 500lbs?

None killed many over 250 and 3 over 300. But we dont know this one was 500lbs either it got away. I hear about people seeing and killing 300+ 400+lb pigs all the time. But in reality most are not even close when weighed. I admit pigs are tough and I use a .308 m1a with 3rd gen NVD at night and a 45/70 guide gun by day. But I've seen plenty killed with the 6.8 . In fact I have a custom 6.8 upper being made right now so I can leave that heavy m1a at home.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texaslawman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2011 at 00:28
Ooops it did not get away went back and read the 1st post but still don't know how much it weighed it's been my experience that people judge pigs weight wrong. Also what type of bullet was used that will make a huge difference. Barnes TSX would be the best pill in 6.8 for pigs. But I regress I believe it was a shot placement error I made the same mistake several times when I first started clearing out hogs. I have pictures of a hog shot 4 times in the neck behind the ear with a 45/70 405gr sp traveling 1580fps. The entrance is a few inches wide the exit you could set a softball in. Every shot he fell every time he got back up. 5th shot hit low broke his spine and it was over. This boat wasent even 200lbs just bad shot placement by me before I knew.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic