OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Mueller Tac II 3-10x44

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onfinal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mueller Tac II 3-10x44
    Posted: October/12/2009 at 14:17
Every review I have seen on this scope rates it very good or better, best in it's price class, etc., yet the SWFA '08 and '09 ratings show it no better than a Leupold VX-1 or Rifleman and not as good as a Nikko Sterling.

To all you Mueller Tac II 3-10x44 owners out there, are you happy with the scope? Feel it's under rated? Would you buy it again?

danjojoUSMC View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danjojoUSMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2009 at 14:01
Every Mueller Tac II review I've looked through was glowing about it.  People seem to feel the glass is as good as the Bushnell 4200, Nikon Monarch, etc. 

If I wanted a mil-dot scope in the 3-9, 2.5-10 range of mangification and couldn't afford the SS 3-9, the Mueller Tac II is what I would get definitely.

You can get a Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x42 for a little more as well, but I wouldn't expect either to be the same build quality and durability of the SS 3-9 or $1,000+ tactical scope.
"When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be"

"Every part of life comes into focus just as you are about to pull the trigger."
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2009 at 18:57
Mueller Tac II is a pretty decent Japanese scope.  There are, however, quite a few similar scopes in similar price ranges that are as good or better and come from better known names: Weaver Grand Slam, Sightron S2/S2 Big Sky, Elite 4200, Monarch, etc.

Other Mueller scopes are not in the same league with Tac II though.

ILya
onfinal View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onfinal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2009 at 20:02
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Mueller Tac II is a pretty decent Japanese scope.  There are, however, quite a few similar scopes in similar price ranges that are as good or better and come from better known names: Weaver Grand Slam, Sightron S2/S2 Big Sky, Elite 4200, Monarch, etc.

Other Mueller scopes are not in the same league with Tac II though.

ILya

Ilya

How would you rate the scopes listed below, mainly for best glass and quality of construction? How would you order them 1-5, with 1 being best? Does "best" follow $ or is there a sleeper in there? All are as close to 3-10x40/44 as I could get them. All prices are SWFA. I need the 10x so 3-9s were not considered.

Mueller Tac II     $270    mil-dot

Weaver G/S         290

Nikon Monarch     400    BDC

Bushnell 4200      430

Sightron B/S        440

Thanks . . . I appreciate your thoughts and expertise.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2009 at 20:15
They are all somewhat similar, but not equal.

I think Elite 4200 and Sightron S2 Big Sky have the best glass in the group, but all are decent, and the gaps between them are not large.

Sightron and Monarch have the longest eye relief, so if you are a stock crawler, you should look at these.

The best bang for the buck right now is probably Weaver Grand Slam 3-10x40, although Sightron has a $50 rebate going on right now which helps it a little.

Also, unless you positively have to have MilDot reticle, Vortex Viper 3-9x40 with BDC reticle also has a $50 rebate going and will come in under $300.  That is a kick ass deal.

Ultimately, while Mueller Tac II is a pretty nice scope, I think that Weaver and Vortex are a bit better, and for my money I would likely go with one of these two (unless you are worried about scope bit, in which case I would go with the Sightron).

ILya
Digit View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2009 at 00:43
One unique feature of the Mueller Tac II is the 95 MOA adjustment in a 1" tube.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2009 at 02:17
How much adjustment do you need in a scope of this type?

Weaver Grand Slam 3-10x40 has ~70MOA.
Sightron S2 Big SKy scopes of comparable configurations have 70 to 80 MOA.
Vortex Viper 3-9x40 has a bit over 90MOA.

ILya

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic