OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold mark 4 TMR, mil-accurate magnification

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puppezed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupold mark 4 TMR, mil-accurate magnification
    Posted: October/15/2009 at 07:47

I cannot find information from Leupold website regarding the Mark 4 TMR (second focal plane) reticle subtensions on different magnifications. Could someone tell the mil-accurate magnifications for 6.5-20x and 8.5-25x Mark 4 TMR scopes, so the subtensions would be like presented in the image below (0.5 mrad between a large and a small line and 1.0mrad between two large lines).

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2009 at 09:25
The problem is -- you will have to find out if the magnification reading is really that magnification by placing a known ht. object at a known distance. The relationship is linear such that the subtension expressed by the highest power will be some ratio or fraction of that based on the magnification.
puppezed View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puppezed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2009 at 09:37
I asked the same question on other forums too: both scopes are mil-accurate on their maximum magnification.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2009 at 12:14
Thats the point-- only on the max. magnification. If you turn down the power to say 10 power it doesn't really mean that its really 10 x, you must measure the subtension of a known ht. object at a known distance on the power -- if you are using a top of 20x and it shows that the target (using a target of 1 mil subtension) subtends 1 mil at 100 yds, and you turn the power down to 14 and it subtends 1/2 mil then the 14 marking is really 10x.
puppezed View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puppezed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2009 at 16:52
Thanks for the tip.

I just wanted to know what was the correct magnification for the scope to be mil accurate. Like Bushnell claims their 4200 Tactical is mil accurate at 12x, Leupolds are mil accurate on their maximum magnification.
0311GRUNT View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 0311GRUNT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2009 at 14:33
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

The problem is -- you will have to find out if the magnification reading is really that magnification by placing a known ht. object at a known distance. The relationship is linear such that the subtension expressed by the highest power will be some ratio or fraction of that based on the magnification.

Exactly correct. I had this same question when I started using mil-dot based systems and some buddies over in 29 palms with Raven Plt (1/7 Snipers) said to correctly coralate the mil-magnification you must "measure with known distance and target to make approximations about that particular piece. Oh bye the way he personally uses US OPTICS.
You cant hit what you cant see
sscoyote View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sscoyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2009 at 03:04
My 8.5-25x TMR is supposed to be accurate at 25x. Haven't measured mine, but i will as soon as i get it back from my buddy.
Steve
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic