OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Burris Six X

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Burris Six X
    Posted: October/16/2009 at 13:55
Anyone have any experience with the new Six X from Burris??? I am considering putting one on a 338WM and would like to hear any and all opinions..
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2009 at 22:40
Would love to play with a Six X.  Like the 2-12 power range.  I haven't played with one yet.  I do own several Burris Scopes though.  The Black Diamond, XTR, and FFII.  My guess and some rumor says that the Six X has the same glass as the BD.  And I am sure it will be as rugged as any of their other scopes.  And I will testify to the ruggedness of the Burris scopes.  The glass will be good.  Will handle a 338 WM fine.  That is about all I can tell you.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2009 at 22:49
The rifle currently has a FF Euro 30 3x9-40 which will be put to the real test next month. I have had good luck with Burris scopes including the FFII on my 25-06 which has generally been abused and never fails me. Burris claims a "Storm Coat" lens coating on this scope which I am assuming is similar to the well regarded "Rain Coat" on Bushnell scopes. I may have to break down and get one (just trying to figure out what excuse to use on the wife) and be the guinea pig. On the up-side (or down side depending on whose perspective you look at) if I have problems I live less than 5 miles from the Burris facility so the get to see my not so happy face rather than just a phone call or e-mail..
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2009 at 22:56
The XTR has the Stormcoat on it.  I tested it when I first got it, and it works like the raingaurd does.  It is a nice feature.  Sent a scope in once to the factory.  Had target knobs put on my BD.  Had the scope back in three weeks or less.  I was extremely impressed and happy.  Talked to them a couple time on the phone to ask some questions.  The people I talked to were very friendly, knowledgeable, and willing to answer everything I asked.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
bbush View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2009 at 19:00
I called Burris a few days ago to clarify how tight to torque the base and ring screws on a set of Burris Signature Zee rings and was impressed with the knowledge and help of the tech.  I will definately use Burris rings and bases again.  I am impressed with the Signature line of rings because they do not scratch your scope up in case you ever want to cahnge it to another rifle or sell it in the future.
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2009 at 19:29
I love the Signature rings.. For a hunting rifle I think they are a great choice.. I have nothing but good things to say about their scopes (and I have 4 of them) as well as their customer service.. They may not be the best products out there but they are very good for the price they charge.. Years ago I think they were considered to have some of the best glass around. I think recently the others have caught up to and/or passed them in the clarity and sharpness of the glass but the scopes still stand up to hard use. One of the main things I am wondering about the Six X is if they have brought the glass up to the standards of some of the other scopes in their price range ($600-$800). On the one occasion I have dealt with their customer service they were excellent. I had a pair of the cheap binocs that came with a FFII scope that had one barrel fill with water. I dropped them off (not really expecting much) and got a call a couple of days later asking if I would please stop by the office. When I arrived they gave me a new pair of binocs and explained that even those these aren't really "Waterproof" there was obviously something wrong with them if they did that. Now - I will admit that I have the advantage of living a few miles from company HQ and can easily stop by. Would this have happened if I lived on the other side of the country??? I don't know.. 
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2009 at 19:20
Well after much debate and vacillation I finally broke down and ordered a Six X 3-9x40 with 3p4 reticle.. Once I get some time (probably early next year) I will give a report on how it does.
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2009 at 22:56
i meant 2-12 x 40 - not used to that power range....
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2009 at 23:14
That is the power range I was looking at.  Now you get to play the waiting game.  I look forward to your reviews.  I am sure it is at least as good as my BD and XTR if not better.  Are you going to use the Sig rings with it?

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2009 at 09:42
Signature double dovetail rings.. I'll keep you posted on how it does. 
SD Dog View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2009 at 10:16
Sounds like a great combo.  I think you will really like the magnification range.  Friend got a new FFII and he has become a fan of Burris.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2009 at 11:35
First Impressions: I've had my first Six X (2-12X40 3P4 Reticle) for a few days now so I thought I would give my first impressions. Upon receiving the box you would think this scope is going to be close to 18in long based upon the length of the box. No worries though, it is how they pack the accessories not the length of the scope that causes the box to be so long. The first thing you will notice when you open the box is the fact that they have included the correct Buttler Creek flip up caps in place of the old bikini type lens covers. Kudos to Burris for this. While it is not difficult or expensive to obtain the correct caps the fact that they are included just means less hassle. To me it also says they are listening to the customer and working to supply the customer with the items that work. Also included is a neopreene cover that fits the scope verry well for storage. While the scope is not nearly as long as the box it comes in it is by no means a small scope. It is a substantial piece of equipment even with a 40mm objective. The factory lists the weight as 18oz and my scale came up with 17.6. Any Burris owner will immediatly notice the rubber coated power ring in place of the rotating eyepiece. It's nice to see Burris go back to the traditional power ring but unfortunately this is the one place I have issues with the scope. The rubber ring is placed over top the actual power ring and is held in place by nipples that fit into holes in the actual ring. Because it is not glued down this causes the rubber ring to bunch up while rotating. Now on to the good stuff. The glass is sharp and clear from edge to edge at all power ranges. The scope that this replaced was  a Nikon Monarch Gold 1.5-6x42. The glass seems comparable to if not a little better than the Nikon especially when comparing them after sunset. Because this scope has the 3p4 reticle the reticle is much more visible than the Nikoplex in low light conditions. The eye relief is advertised as 4in and is all of that if not more at 2x. At 12x it is still at least 3 1/2in. Because of the long eye relief however eye position seems to be much more critical than it does with scopes having shorter eye relief. Because your eye is farther from the scope there is more of a sense of looking down a tube than there is with scope that have less eye relief. At first this makes it seem as though the field of fiew is not nearly as large with the Burris, however, when comparing them side by side on 2x they are verry close, maybe a slight edge in FOV to the Nikon.

The Burris is advertized as having Storm Coat and this is a coating that obviously works. On the day I received the scope it was a balmy 7F and snowing here in CO. At about 7pm I brought the scope outside and let it sit out there for awhile. Before bringing it in I made sure the lenses both got snowed on a bit to provide some moisture. Picking the scope up and looking through it there was no evidence of moisture or fogging on the lenses. It was a verry bright night due to the reflection of city lights off of the low clouds and snow and in these conditions the brightness and clarity was outstanding on any power setting. After bringing the Scope back inside I fully expected some fogging on the lenses but surprisingly there was none. The view was still crystal clear with no signs of fogging or moisture. This is not to say there was no moisture on the lenses, there was, it just wasn't visible when looking through the scope. I did not do this with the Nikon because previous experience has allready proven that the lenses will fog for a short period.

Overall I think this is an excelent scope for my application. I wanted a good low light scope for hunting dark timber and early/late in the day but I wanted more than 6x as well. I also wanted a scope to handle all weather conditions and the abuse I generally bestow upon them without weighing over 20oz. And finally I wanted a bit more eye relief than the Nikon since it bit me once allready (my wife got a good laugh out of that though). It is now mounted on a Kimber Montana 338WM in Burris Signature Double Dovetail MED rings. The complete setup with sling weighs 8lb3oz, thus the need for more eye relief. My second Six X in 2-12x40 with Ball. Plex is due to arrive today and will be mounted on a Winchester Model 70 7mmRM.

As a side note. I was at the factory the other morning picking up a scope that I was having modified and mentioned to one of the C/S reps my complaint about the rubber power ring bunching up. He was verry attentive to my concerns and stated "that is the kind of feedback they want to hear from customers in the field".

Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2009 at 14:31
I've posted this in the reviews as well. I will continue to comment and provide further info there.
Sandracer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2009 at 16:24
Thanks for the update BigGreen! I hope Burris has a winner, I wasn't in love with the 3-2x44 SS I had. Maybe they are going to fix the things I didn't like. I like to see USA made stuff that we can brag about!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic