OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Tripods, sun shades, lens covers, etc.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Laser Genetics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spinner08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Laser Genetics
    Posted: October/21/2009 at 20:59
I was thinking about getting a Laser Genetics ND3 and I was thinking about putting it on my 300 win mag with my ss 10X rifle scope does anyone have any field experience.  A local store has one but about all they know is it has a green light. 
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2009 at 17:15
I have one, as does 4 of my hunting buddies.  They work fantastic!  The beam diameter is adjustable from about the size of a half dollar to 8, 10' or so in diameter (at 100 yds.).  Unlike a conventional flashlight, since the illumination is from a laser, focused by an optical lens, the beam circle is very well defined and perfectly round, so there is no stray light outside of the beam.  The visible range at night is incredible, especially when the beam diameter is focused down relatively small!  When you get it lined up with your scope, the view through your scope is better than any night vision I've seen!  So far, the beam hasn't spooked the hogs and predators we've shot with it. 

The kit comes with 3 different styles of mounts -- one for Picatinny rail, one with windage and elevation adjustments for clamping onto a 1" tube scope, and another for mounting onto the tripod adapter of binoculars.  It also includes 2 different styles of end cap switches, one constant on/off click style, and one momentary on pressure switch.  It all comes in a nice case.

If you are a serious predator and/or nighttime feral hog hunter, I consider the ND-3 a MUST HAVE!!!  It is that good!  You won't be disappointed!

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2009 at 22:47
 So Ted, how do you use yours?
 What I mean, is it mounted to your rifle; hand held, mounted on top of the scope or what?
Does the body fit inside standard scope rings, and if so, is there a means to adjust the beam to align to your scope's crosshairs?

edited to add:
 Never mind, I just read your post again, more carefully this time...

Edited by RONK - October/22/2009 at 22:49
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2009 at 06:09
Ron, eventually, mine will go on a 6.8 AR I'm building one piece at a time.  Right now, it's mounted on top of my scope using the 1" tube scope adapter that comes in the kit.  The scope tube adapter does have W/E adjustment, though the fixed Picatinny mount doesn't.  My friends all have theirs mounted on hand guard rails on their AR's, with the momentary pressure switch attached to the hand guard so they can easily switch it on as needed.  They lined up pretty well with their scopes as-is mounted on the hand guard rails, but one of my buddies required a thin shim underneath his mount to get it lined up with his scope.  On his 2 rifles, he used the SWFA SS Tac mounts with the Picatinny top cap, so his is above the scope.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2009 at 09:57
 Thanks, Ted.
That answered a few more questions I was going to ask you.
 Sounds like very useful technology.
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2009 at 10:06

Do you eat what you kill or leave it?

No one
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2009 at 11:10
Originally posted by 338LAPUASLAP 338LAPUASLAP wrote:

Huh?
 Well, I can't speak for Ted, but I usually leave the carcass to rot for a few days, and THEN drag it onto the lawn or front porch of someone I don't like much...
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2009 at 11:16

You'd have to understand Texas' problem with pigs to understand that here, it doesn't matter - just kill it (or, as some land owners have told me, "just wound the hell out of it, it'll slow it down for a few months.)

Hogs in Texas are incredibly destructive, the run off native game, they consume cattle feed, and they destroy land and crops.  Most property owners that have them are willing to do almost anything to get rid of them,, but they reproduce so fast that eliminating a population is very tough.

I eat the little ones I kill (piglets are the best, by far.)  Once they reach 100+, they ain't so good any more.

Ted, I am buying one, and it had better not suck!
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2009 at 14:54

Just shot with the "latest and greatest" model for the M4 today.  Pretty impressive. 

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2009 at 15:25

AWESOME...DIDN'T KNOW ANY OF THIS...

No one

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2009 at 16:08
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Just shot with the "latest and greatest" model for the M4 today.  Pretty impressive. 

What makes it "latest and greatest"?  Is this the fully modular rifle I've seen?
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2009 at 17:37
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

You'd have to understand Texas' problem with pigs to understand that here, it doesn't matter - just kill it (or, as some land owners have told me, "just wound the hell out of it, it'll slow it down for a few months.)

Hogs in Texas are incredibly destructive, the run off native game, they consume cattle feed, and they destroy land and crops.  Most property owners that have them are willing to do almost anything to get rid of them,, but they reproduce so fast that eliminating a population is very tough.

I eat the little ones I kill (piglets are the best, by far.)  Once they reach 100+, they ain't so good any more.

Ted, I am buying one, and it had better not suck!

Exactly! 

I do eat a few on occasion.  Some I give away.  Some I just leave where they fall.  In my opinion, once they get over about 150 lbs or so, they become tough and gamy, especially the boars.  My wife doesn't like the taste of feral pigs, so she doesn't want me to bring any more home.  I know it seems wasteful to not use the meat, and with game animals, I wouldn't dream of killing an aminal I don't plan to eat.  It is also illegal to kill a game animal and let the meat go to waste, not to mention, my sense of hunting ethics wouldn't allow such a thing.  However, feral hogs are not considered game animals by law, and they are a major nuisance.  They compete with the native wildlife for food and habitat.  Their population has exploded to epidemic proportions in some areas of Texas (and other states) to the extent that the Texas Parks and Wildlife Dept. (our state fish and game agency) has been trying to work on some way to kill them or at least control their reproduction.  Just during the past couple of weekends, I have killed 7 pigs with my bow while deer hunting (archery deer season is currenly open in Texas).  One evening last weekend while I was drawing my bow on a large boar, I counted over 30 in the group of pigs that came by my deer stand!  

Feral hogs have multiple piglet litters and they don't have a "rut" or season when the sows go into heat.  As soon as a sow drops a litter, they can be bred again immediately.  So, they reproduce like rabbits!  They are so vicious and tough that they have no natural predators to help control their population.  That leaves humans as the only predators with the ability to kill them.  I take that role very seriously.  The properties I hunt are so infested with them and they are so incredibly destructive to the land that we must attempt to control them somehow or they will force the deer out of the areas they inhabit.  The landownder we lease our hunting property from has instructed us to kill the damn things every opportunity we get, so we are at WAR with them!  We kill them with extreme prejudice at every opportunity given, regardless of size, age, time of day or season of the year.  Since they are classified as "exotics" here, the Texas hunting laws have no limitations on how many, what time of day, or what methods or weapons can be used to kill them.  Since they are largely (but not exclusively) nocturnal, the best times to hunt them is at night, which is why I use illuminated scopes, night vision, and the ND-3 laser per the subject of this thread.  When it comes to hogs, I am not trying to give them a sporting chance; I am trying to kill as many of them as possible, as often as possible, using the most brutally efficient means as possible.
Ted

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2009 at 18:18
Now if we could get a few Generals with that same attitude.

Most people ask --- What would Jack Bauer Do?    

Jack asks ---- What would Ted Do?

Soldiers

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2009 at 20:09
Damn right!  War isn't supposed to be fair!
Ted

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2009 at 13:58

Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

What makes it "latest and greatest"?  Is this the fully modular rifle I've seen?
Next generation laser/IR targeting device.  Fits M16/M4 Picatinny rail.  Still in OT, but should be out soon.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2009 at 21:19

Ted, I might be in the market for a lease in 2010, let me know if you've got a good setup and are taking additional guns for next seaon.

I will review the laser when it gets here.  On the 6.8, it should be good gear.

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2009 at 11:08

Ted, I might be in the market for a lease in 2010, let me know if you've got a good setup and are taking additional guns for next seaon.

I will review the laser when it gets here.  On the 6.8, it should be good gear.

Will do, Jeff.  We've got a couple of guys in line who already said they'd like to get on if we have any openings.  It all depends on whether we have anyone drop out.  There is a possibility we might lease some additional land, though, which would add a few members.  I'll let you know if we get an opening.
Ted

spinner08 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spinner08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2009 at 22:37
Does it have a mount for a 30mm scope tube if there isnt one in the box can you buy it seperatly.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2009 at 23:19
What mount does it use and how do you adjust it?

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2009 at 08:08
I can't yet say (with 1st-hand knowledge.)  The description says it can mount to a 1" scope or to a rail.  Mine will go on a rail and will be shimmed as needed to align with the scope.  hope to have pics and thoughts soon.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
  Share Topic