OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for .308 Savage

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for .308 Savage
    Posted: July/28/2005 at 11:03

I am planning on putting a fixed power scope on my .308 Savage 99.  I took off the 3-9 Pentax and decided  put that scope on my Remington 30.06.  I also liked the idea of going back to a standard fixed powered scope.  The lever action .308 will maily but used as a Blacktail deer rifle with most shots fired at less than a 150 yards and maybe on a rare occassion out to 200 yrds.  I am trying to keep it under $300 for the scope. So far these are the scopes that I am looking at:

Burris Full Field II 6x40

Leupold FX II 4x33

Nikon Monarch 4x40

Weaver Grand Slam 4.75x40

On a side note:  I am leaning to either the Nikon or the Weaver because I think the 6 power for the Burris FF might be a touch to high.  The Leupold is the most expensive of the group, and has a smaller lens.  Any comments or other suggestions would be much appreciated

Thanks

If You're In A Fair Fight, You Didn't Plan It Properly

- Anonymous

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2005 at 11:55

From your list I like Weaver and Burris.

To add to it.  The best 4x scopes for the money out there, IMO, are IOR 4x32 hunting at around $260 and Sightron S2 4x32 at just under $200. 

4x is perfectly sufficient for hunting big game out to 300-400 yards if the optics are half way decent.

IOR 4x32 is optically better than anything this side of $500+ Kahles.

In all fairness even cheaper fixed magnification scope should work very well.  For shots that close wide field of view and clarity are more important than magnification.  Other choices are:

Weaver K4 4x38

Weaver K2.5 2.5x20 (I have this one and it is great)

Burris Fullfield II 2.5x20 (also excellent and a little better than the Weaver)

Burris Short Mag 4x20 (I have this one and it is surprisingly good, but not as good as IOR and Sightron, it is better than Leupold and Weaver K4 though, despite a smaller objective)

There are also some low range variables in your price range that would work just as well if not better.

My picks would be Weaver V3 1-3x20 and Burris Fullfield II 1.75-5x20

If you want a little more versatility and an option to take longer shots consider Burris Short Mag 2-7x26 with BallisticPlex.

Of all these IOR 4x32 is the best optically and if you want go with a fixed magnification scope that would be my choice.

For maximum versatility Burris 2-7x26 at just under $300 is probably the way to go.  For better low light capability Burris 1.75-5x20 is available witha 3p#4 reticle that is more visible in low light than standard duplex.

Ilya

noddah View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noddah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2005 at 12:47

Out of the choices you put up my vote is Weaver. Though Koshkin is right about the IOR. Not all IOR are made equal but the model he is talking about has the right stuff. The reticle is not etched but it does have Glass made by Schott Glasswerk, Germany!

IOR 4x32 Hunting Rifle Scope

http://www.riflescopes.com/products/IOR4X32H7A/ior_4x32_hunt ing_rifle_scope.htm

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2005 at 12:52

Are you sure about the reticle?  It is listed as being photoengraved.

Also it is available with a 4a reticle which should be a bit faster to acquire than a regular plex (7a).

Ilya

noddah View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noddah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2005 at 14:37

You maybe right.  The reticle process ain't my cup... but isn't photo engraved (applied)different than the etched process?

Anyhow... back on topic... I agree Acenturian should check out the IOR you suggested. 

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2005 at 15:07

Well, I could be wrong of course, but I think these two are one and the same.  Generally speaking if yuo want to engrave something on the surface of a transparent material you first draw your pattern (reticle) on it with some sort of a photosensitive material.  Then you illuminate the whole piece of glass with a laser which heats up the photosensitive material to the point where it starts a chemical reaction that, in turn, engraves the pattern (reticle) on the glass.  A more general term for this process is photolithography.

Then again.  I could be wrong.

Ilya

TwoLaneBlackTop View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TwoLaneBlackTop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2005 at 18:29
I would go with the IOR 4x32 if I wanted a fixed power scope under $300.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2005 at 04:32

While I'm no real big IOR fan anymore, they make a real decent fixed scope for the money.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2005 at 14:10
Would a fixed power IOR 4x32 be better or equal to a Sightron SII 4x32? I want a compact fixed power for my Marlin 30-30 lever action . Do you know of a better scope for my 30-30 brush gun? Shots from 15yrds to 125yrds.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2005 at 14:35

I think that a 4x32 IOR is a little better than the Sightron.  One advantage is the availability of a 4a reticle which is a bit thicker than normal duplex and is faster to pick up.  IOR is a little better optically and has a fast focus eyepiece.

As far as warranty goes, Sightron is much easier to deal with.  Durability should be about equal with maybe a slight edge to Sightron.  Adjustments are a little better on Sightron as well, but IOR is no slouch either.

Either scope is quite good though.  Sightron runs for about $200 and IOR is about $60 bucks more. 

For a 30-30 brush gun any of the low mag scopes I listed in my previous post should work fine.  Also, I'd take a good look at Bushnell Holosight.

Ilya

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic