OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Huskemaw 5-20 LRS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skilly1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Huskemaw 5-20 LRS
    Posted: November/07/2009 at 01:57
Now i heard on here that these scopes were made in china i think and that they were cheap chimpco crap, i have no experience with them so i was checking out LONGRANGEHUNTING.COM and this guy has a review that he tested the huskemaw, the new vx3, nightforce nxs, and the sightron slll and the sightron was last in optical performance.  heres a little thread he wrote but you can go and read the whole review in longrangehunting.com under product reviews. im just curious on what you guys thought or have had experience with that scope cause i heard nothing but bad stuff and that guy talks it up like its the next best scope in the world. thanks

My first time out with the Huskemaw 5-20 LRH Scope was back in April when longtime hunting buddy, Steve Hugel, came up for a couple of days. First, we went to the local range and did some load development for a rear-grip XP-100 @ 200 yards on paper. I was using four-shot groups, and two of the groups were in the .4 inch range and the other was in the .5 inch range. I am always pleased when I shoot ½ inch or better at 200 yards. Then we went out of town and put steel up at 546 yards, 730 yards, and 799 yards. There were two 11" circular steel plates at the closer distances and a 10" x 20" rectangular plate at 799 yards. All shooting at these distances was from the prone position.

Huskemaw LR Scope Review

On this date and at times since then, the Huskemaw scope tracked perfectly on two different Remington XP-100's and an MOA Maximum handgun. On the first day in the field, I had a nice 4-shot group that was in the 4" range at 730 yards with a 5th shot taking me to a 9"-10" group. The wind caught me on the fifth shot - Oh well! By the time we moved out to 799 yards, the wind decided to give lessons in humility, with some incredible updrafts that the spotters were able to see via vapor trails. It wasn't the scope's fault that I didn't have good groups; I completely missed the target a couple of times. Even with an accurate rig, great optics, and spotters, you can still be put in your place quickly due to gusty winds that are switching back and forth. Do I trust the reliability of the Huskemaw scope’s turret system and its ability to hold zero? Yes!

Huskemaw LR Scope Review

On another day I was able to go to a different rancher's place to compare scopes (Leupold's new VX-3 8.5-25 LRT, Nightforce NXS 5-22, Sightron S-3 6-24, and the Huskemaw 5-20). I had a friend with me on this day as well. I don’t claim to be a scope expert, but here is my experience which was echoed by others who compared these scopes on this day as well as on a few others. Since the Huskemaw scope had the lowest upper magnification, we set all of the other scopes' magnification on 20x. When looking at antelope from 1,000-1,200 yards from mid-day to late afternoon, the Huskemaw scope was on par with the Nightforce and the Leupold scopes. The Sightron scope took a noticeable last place. The color contrast on the antelope was noticeably better with the Huskemaw scope versus the Sightron. I have used the Sightron for long range prairie dogging past 1,000 yards successfully and have used it in a 3-day long range competition, but optically it does not stand up to the Huskemaw scope in these areas. When looking at a structure at 45 minutes past sunset, all four of the scopes did well. With that being said, I expect some will disagree with my findings, as we all have our favorites. I admit that some of my results were surprising even to me, but that is my findings with these four scopes. More than anything, I am pleased to see that another well thought out, high quality long range hunting scope is available for sportsmen.

Huskemaw LR Scope Review

Another debate that can be quite polarizing among long-range shooters is dialing versus using ballistic reticle, MOA reticle, or Mil-Radian reticle. Those who dial will divide over whether to use a turret that is listed in MOA or Mil-Radians versus a BDC (Bullet Drop Compensator) turret cap. The Huskemaw scope is designed for those who want to dial the yardage and can use the reticle or dial for doping the wind.

Huskemaw LR Scope Review

The yardage and the MOA wind correction for a 10 mph crosswind (at 20x if using the reticle), is listed on the turret. Once you have done your homework and filled out the Manual Data Sheet and send it to Huskemaw Optics in Cody, WY, you will soon have your own RFBC. Now, you determine range to target, check wind, dial the distance, hold off for wind on the reticle and shoot.
Huskemaw LR Scope Review

Edited by cheaptrick - November/07/2009 at 05:12
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2009 at 02:26
Well, either it is a very good scope or a very well-written advertisement.  SInce I have never seen a Huskemaw scope, I have no idea which one it is.

A quick note on Sightron S-3: it went through a complete redesign a couple of years ago.  If they have the old model, it would be a little worse optically than VX-3 and Nightforce.

ILya
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2009 at 05:16
3.  Do not advertise our competition.  We work hard to gain the respect and support of our customers.  We also offer a 110% Low Price Guarantee.

Please follow the rules of engagement, Sir.
Nice review though.
skilly1979 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skilly1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2009 at 12:30
cheaptrick i wasn't advertising nothing all i was wondering if these scopes were any good and i read on here somewhere that their junk. so all i was doing was letting you guys read what some other guy wrote about the scope. how is that advertising that ain't advertising nothing. i ask a simple question whether a scope is good or junk and im advertising (COME ON) i am a loyal fan of swfa and buy many things from them.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2009 at 13:09
Dude, you linked a store of where to buy the scopes, hence my removal of it.
I don't have a problem with your review of a scope that SWFA doesn't sell, but when you link of WHERE to buy it, that's a direct violation of the rules, by my account.

Fair enough?   

Edited by cheaptrick - November/07/2009 at 13:10
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2009 at 13:20
Fair enough in my book...

I have a source who is intimately familiar with said Huskemaw scopes.  I'll check with him again for an update, but last I spoke with him about them a few months back, he was not highly complimentary.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2009 at 19:27
Do they make a IWB holster for that pistol?
Dave Wilson View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Wilson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2009 at 20:42
i've spent quite a bit of time on LRH and remember reading that review. there was some question about whether he had a new s111 or the previous version. it was verified he had the latest. he has a very good reputation on the forum and is in fact a minister. the opinion of Huskemaw scopes from all that have them is nothing but praise. they are excellent scopes for hunting, especially long range hunting which they are made for.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic