OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Super Sniper HD built in same factory as NF

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skeeeter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Super Sniper HD built in same factory as NF
    Posted: November/08/2009 at 01:53
Chris - I have had several people loudly disagreeing with me when I told them what you told me ,that the Super Sniper 10x42HD was built in the same factory as the Nightforce. Can you confirm this again?
Also, if I found the SS HD scope I just ordered did not have the power to accurately hit targets out at 1500 yards how much credit would you give me to buy the Nightforce 5.5x22x56?
Thanks
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2009 at 14:16
Can you "accurately hit targets" at 150 yards with iron sights?  If you can, that is what you are looking at at 1500 with a 10x scope.  With the HD glass your resolution should be a bit better.  However, if you cannot hit targets accurately at 150 yard with iron sights, 22x in the Nightforce will not be the "whiz bang" I think you are seeking.  There is no magic, with or without scopes.  The shooter still has to have the skills...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
skeeeter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skeeeter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2009 at 14:27
I have a Socom 16 that really has some crude sights (much wider than the national match) best suited for CQ's and at 150yards which for me is maximum I can get a 7" group on a good day.This is with Wincherster 150 grain SP. I do not know if that is good or not. The front post covers up the bulleye but I just try to hold for the same place. I do think this Socom has a really good trigger. i was very surprised when i got it, I think it is fluke but i have not tried others.< id="gwProxy" ="">< ="jsCall;" id="jsProxy" ="">
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2009 at 13:37
What is it that you are planning on shooting at 1500 yards with? 

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2009 at 13:52
I agree, I would want more than 10x for shooting that far as well.  That nightforce would be a good choice.  I shot a .338 Lapua at 1 mile and a .50 BMG at 2500 yards and both those rifles had that scope on them and it seemed to work well with those setups.

I hit the 1 mile target once, but the 2500 not even close.  lol
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
skeeeter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skeeeter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2009 at 14:14
I will be using a BArrett 99 with the heavy 32" bull  barrel and A-Max rounds and while I am a fairly good shot I am wondering if the Super Sniper 10x42 HD series scope will be realistic.
skeeeter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skeeeter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2009 at 14:21
I might add that I would have got the Nightforce 5.5x22x56 but it was my understanding that the 10x42HD would be a more reliable, tougher scope due to its construction and because it is a fixed power.
My first priority is a scope that is the very least likely to break or fail. In that case, did I get the right scope?
< id="gwProxy" ="">< ="jsCall;" id="jsProxy" ="">
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2009 at 14:31
Whew, you had me worried there for a minute with the SOCOM. 
Nightforce is known for its reliability.  However, a fixed power scope will generally withstand more raw punishment than a variable. 
The 10x SS is probably not optimum for your particular shooting needs.  I would say it is adequate, even beyond 1500 yards, but not optimum.  You will definitely work harder for a 1500+ yard shot with the 10x than a NF at 22x.  If your intent REALLY is to shoot the extended ranges, higher power optics are probably in your future. 

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2009 at 14:44
As said before, a 1000 yard shot is not easy, be advised.

The 10X HD is a good scope and will serve you well.  If you are a beginner, I'd keep the 10X and shoot at more reasonable distances.  If you've been shooting LR for awhile, you might want more magnification.

Most people get too much as a knee-jerk reaction.  The 10X is fine for most things.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2009 at 14:56
I wonder if since so many of us (myself included) start off with relatively low-power optics (the 3-9X scope, the 8X bins) that we don't realize all the trade-offs in high-power optics until we actually try them - in real-world conditions outside the well-lit store: reduced FOV, depth of field and exit pupil (light transmission); increased distortion (glass imperfections, mirage), difficulty in target acquisition, shakiness, weight and size.  
Reaction time is a factor...
green-grizzly View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote green-grizzly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2009 at 16:10
There are 3 scope factories in Japan, and they make like a dozen or more different brands at those three factories.  Each factory makes mediocre, good and great scopes.  Just because two scopes come from the same factory does not mean that they are equally good.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2009 at 18:01
Premier Heritage 5-25x56 Tactical 34mm Riflescope Illuminated H37 Premier Heritage 5-25x56 Tactical 34mm Riflescope
Stock # - PRH09070
  • Matte
  • First Focal Plane Illuminated H37
  • 34mm
  • Double-Turn 0.1 MRad (27 mrad of Elevation travel)
  • MTC Adjustments
  • Clockwise
  • Free Flip Open Lens Caps w/ Purchase
$3,499.00 
Add Premier Heritage 5-25x56 Tactical 34mm Riflescope to Cart 
Zeiss 4-16x56 Tactical Hensoldt Telescopic 34mm Sight First Focal Plane Illuminated Mil-Dot Zeiss 4-16x56 Tactical Hensoldt Telescopic 34mm Sight
Stock # - 3302929001
  • Matte
  • First Focal Plane Illuminated Mil-Dot
  • 34mm
  • Target Knobs
  • Side Focus
  • 0.1 MRAD
$3,462.95 
Add Zeiss 4-16x56 Tactical Hensoldt Telescopic 34mm Sight to Cart
Congratulations on stepping into the world of really expensive optics to go on really expensive rifles that shoot really expensive bullets that most ranges dont want you to use on their range.   You need to just bite the bullet and buy the right scope to begin with then spend your life savings on ammo to get good with a rifle that is too heavy to carry and kicks too hard to enjoy.   I think the best plan is to put a
SWFA SS 20x42 Tactical Riflescope Mil-Dot SWFA SS 20x42 Tactical Riflescope
Stock # - SS20X42
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Rear Focus
  • OK for .50 cal
  • 1/4 MOA
$279.95 
Add SWFA SS 20x42 Tactical Riflescope to Cart
on it shoot a hundred dollars worth of ammo and realize you have no use for the rifle and sell it  then put that scope on a 22mag and go have fun shooting tin cans and varmits.  As for the SOCOM you need to put a scout scope on the front rail both Leupold and Burris make good scout scopes for it and you will reduce your group significantly.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - November/09/2009 at 18:04

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2009 at 20:33
NEXT STEP IS .950 JDJ WHAT SCOPE CAN I PUT ON HER...

ARE THE SS HD'S REALLY MADE IN THE SAME FACTORY AS THE NIGHTFORCE SCOPES???

No one
skeeeter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skeeeter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2009 at 02:57
I was told by Chris that was the case. I have no reason not to believe him.
I thought that these scopes had a life time warranty? Do they? I will call SWFA tomorrow and ask that question before I use or mount mine. That is an important consideration for me and also shows (actions speak louder than words) if the scope is as good as it is supposed to be. I just got my 10x42HD today and it looks very nice but I need to know if it will let me down and one indication of how good it is is if it has a life time warranty. If a company does not stand behind their product I would think there might be a reason for that? If there is no warranty I will return it for a Nightforce which does have a life time warranty.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2009 at 04:58
Dude, your statements do not make any sense to me, you've talk with Chris but don't know about the warranty on the Scope!  Chris stand behind everything he sells period. Not just the Super Sniper Scopes witch I have seen him warranty for no other reason than the owner was an idiot. It doesn't matter where the scope is made to me, it works as advertised and Chris stands behind his products.  Here endith the lesson!
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
skeeeter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skeeeter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2009 at 13:52
Fellow dude, I just got my SS 10x42HD and unlike any other scope I ever got it came with no manual, no warranty card, no paperwork. I called and was told that they are in the process of printing something up but I do not see why they could not have used the manual from the non HD scope?
The staff was very helpful and said they would e-mail me a manual which is important to me as this is the first Mil-Dot scope I have owned.
I heard that Chris does stand behind his products and see that on this site however I just read, and I know you can not always believe what you read, that there is a "dude" on the Big Hammer forum ( on the Barrett rifle /50 cal section)who had three Super Snipers (a 10x, a 16x and a 20x) fail him on various rifles. According to him they were "no longer on warranty". I invited him to post here , that he will be taken care of, and if he does not I would assume he may have been a little less than truthful for some reason?
I must say the 10x42HD scope does look very solid and nice clear glass. I am just waiting for my torque wrench before I install it. I was told by Barrett to use 35 inch/pounds on the cap screws and 65 on the cross bolt and use purple Lock-Tite which I can not find so I will use blue.
I might offer a lesson to you in that the tone of your post is slightly hostile and that is not needed nor is it a credit to this or any other forum. If you want to be hostile be so to those who want to hurt this nation not your fellow American. My intention was to clearify the warranty issue in light of what I read on Big Hammer and the lack of warranty card.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2009 at 16:47
I'll admit that I've only fired 20 rounds with my .50 since I mounted the 10xHD on it, but I only used 18in/lb on Talley screws and hand tight on rail QR.   No movement yet and the scope laughs at the recoil, which isn't much because Anzio makes the best brake I've ever used... better than Barrett's.  

skeeter, your comments ARE somewhat confusing and you have side-handedly, my observation, made less than complimetary comments about Chris' integrity.  (I was told by Chris that was the case. I have no reason not to believe him.  Sounds like you are looking for one or are questioning the veracity of the statement.  Personally, I've never asked the question, Chris has never told me that, and I don't care... where it is put together is far less important to me than the quality oversight.  However, if Chris tells me it is assembled in the same factory as Nightforce, I will bet my life I can go to the Nightforce plant and find SS parts being put together there.)  I suggest you reread and rethink your comments.  You have no reason to comment in the manner you have.  Such musings are not productive.  If your intention is to clarify the warranty issue, take it up with the personnel who CAN clarify it. Don't make half-insinuations.  We can give you our experiences, positive by almost all counts, but that does not have anything to do with Chris' warranty on the SS or any other scope he sells.  
Steelbenz is a HIGHLY respected contributor to the OT Forum, a superior shooter and very knowledgeable on shooting optics.  You, on the other hand, are a "new guy" and have not earned your creds, yet.  

I will make one more comment set here.  The Super Sniper 10xHD doesn't need much "splainin'.  It is a fixed 10x scope with parallax adjustment and .1mil Az/El adjustments and a locking focus ring.  What more operations instruction do you need?  The Mil-dot Master can be purchased to explain the reticle usage, if that is a problem.  There was such a pressure to get these scopes out to the public, I would suggest the manual was given a lower priority.  The hardware was ready, waiting to get the manual proofread and 'in the box' just doesn't make good business sense.  Most who have the HD's aren't screaming for a manual.  When it finally does come out, I'll be glad to glance at it, but I'm not losing any sleep waiting for it and don't suffer from not having it.  

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2009 at 16:55
Originally posted by skeeeter skeeeter wrote:

that there is a "dude" on the Big Hammer forum ( on the Barrett rifle /50 cal section)who had three Super Snipers (a 10x, a 16x and a 20x) fail him on various rifles. According to him they were "no longer on warranty". I invited him to post here , that he will be taken care of, and if he does not I would assume he may have been a little less than truthful for some reason?

Not doubting you, Sir, but I find this fellows story VERY hard to believe.

Firstly, that 3 SS's went tits up on the same "dude"Wink, followed by SWFA refusal to assist.
And thirdly, the fact that he has internet access and hasn't blown in here on the home forum and put SWFA and the Super Sniper on Nuko-BLAST.

In my 5 plus years here on this forum, I've yet to see a reasonable issue with a Super Sniper that SWFA wouldn't fix....and MORE than a few UNreasonable issues that Chris fixed.       

Edited by cheaptrick - November/10/2009 at 16:58
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2009 at 17:06
I talked with a moron on another page who said he too killed a SuperSniper.  After Chris followed up with him, the guy finally had to admit that it wasn't a Super Sniper.

I've heard a few stories of SS's dying, few if any were true.  They do die eventually and if pushed hard enough; however, even those that did die, I have NEVER heard of Chris abandoning a customer or telling him SWFA wouldn't stand behind the product.

Avoid hearsay, it is seldom true.

Documentation is nice, I agree; but you ahve Chris' number in case a problem arises.  And, like CT said, a mil dot master will answer all the questions you might ask, and it is good gear to have anyway.

You got a great scope, let us know how it goes once the rifle is up and running.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2009 at 17:10
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Steelbenz is a HIGHLY respected contributor to the OT Forum, a superior shooter and very knowledgeable on shooting optics.  You, on the other hand, are a "new guy" and have not earned your creds, yet.

True dat......ROLL TIDE!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic