OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Nikko Stirling

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnboy74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nikko Stirling
    Posted: November/12/2009 at 11:56
Does anyone have any experience with the riflescope brand Nikko Stirling.  Alot of guys in my area have switched to the Nighteater Models.  The local gunshop owners says it compares to Zeiss or Swarovski. I personally have never hunted with one but can't see how a $250 scope compares to a $1,200-$1,500 scope.  The Gun Shop owner says it is the one inch tube in all three that makes such a difference.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2009 at 12:19
I believe your suspicions are correct, while I don't have personal experiance with Nikko scopes, not many scopes compare to the likes of Zeiss and Swaro, let alone a $250.00 scope.  I'd say hog wash to this Nikko claim.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
pennelec View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pennelec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2009 at 21:53
I know it is hard to believe, but try one before you say hogwash. American Rifleman tested Nikko and compared it to at least as good as many scopes in the $800.00 and higher range and better than many. The one they tested was a nighteater 4-16x42. It retailed for $135.00 at that time. I think it was 2 to 3 years ago and it was awarded optics of the year award. A lot of people want buy them because they are so cheap and a bit large and heavy but with all the A class glass they use it is to be expected. Do some research and you may change your mind. Just don't buy too many and make the price go up. I love them. 
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2009 at 22:19
ditto took me a few to enjoy them but they are awesome
No one
kesi View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kesi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2009 at 22:40
bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2009 at 23:37
They do come with their own steering wheel 
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2009 at 07:15
I sometimes correspond with a gentleman who has a 'farm' in South Africa.  He went from a Nikko Sterling to NcStar... better performance.  Only one anecdotal instance, but he hunts marauding leopards at night with it.  I've gotten a couple of night and early dawn "kill" photos from him.  He did not speak highly of the Nikko Sterling...
Perhaps it is better now... (if that steering wheel were leather covered... KOOL)
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2009 at 07:25

I have a few of these.

I cannot stand when people talk about them that have not put forth the few $$$ and speak down about them.

I wish they would just buy a http://swfa.com/Nikko-Stirling-10-50x60-Diamond-Sportsman-30mm-Riflescope-P12027.aspx or http://swfa.com/Nikko-Stirling-10-50x60-Diamond-Sportsman-30mm-Riflescope-P12028.aspx for the few dollars it is and they could find that @ 50x it is like looking through a mid-high end spotter...Something very hard to get your mind around...

They are wonderful for the few dollars you spend on them the low end comparative to the $500-1000 price range the high end $1500-2000.(lift and set adjustment clicks are seemingly smooth)

You can take off the "wheel" and put a regular parralax adjustment on her.  I have used the wheel at the bench and it dials in faster and smoother than anything I have ever used.

Edited by 338LAPUASLAP - November/24/2009 at 07:27
No one
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2009 at 07:40
Originally posted by 338LAPUASLAP 338LAPUASLAP wrote:

I have a few of these.

I cannot stand when people talk about them that have not put forth the few $$$ and speak down about them.

I wish they would just buy a http://swfa.com/Nikko-Stirling-10-50x60-Diamond-Sportsman-30mm-Riflescope-P12027.aspx or http://swfa.com/Nikko-Stirling-10-50x60-Diamond-Sportsman-30mm-Riflescope-P12028.aspx for the few dollars it is and they could find that @ 50x it is like looking through a mid-high end spotter...Something very hard to get your mind around...

They are wonderful for the few dollars you spend on them the low end comparative to the $500-1000 price range the high end $1500-2000.(lift and set adjustment clicks are seemingly smooth)

You can take off the "wheel" and put a regular parralax adjustment on her.  I have used the wheel at the bench and it dials in faster and smoother than anything I have ever used.

People who own something generally like it, an artifact of ownership...
My friend did away with his Nikko Sterling for an NcStar.  I have an NcStar 10-40x56 that has some "issues", but as far as magnification and glass go is not bad, I sometimes use it for a spotter.  However, I wouldn't recommend NcStar to anyone.  
As I said, Nikko could well be improved over the single item Harald owned or perhaps he just got a bad one.  Sometimes that happens.  I DID say it was one case of anecdotal evidence.  YOUR anecdotal evidence is contradictory...
I was joking about the steering wheel, don't be so sensitive.  I've read the info on the Nikko and understand it is not a permanent fixture.  It would look KOOL with a leather cover...

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2009 at 11:34

I own many scopes that have top names that are junk compared to the nikko to compare ncstar with nikko is insane...

You must own one that came with a gun or was less than $100...  LIke the big boys yes they make budget crap scopes.  WE are not talking apples and apples.

NIkko Makes fantastic product for the price levels

No one
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2009 at 11:54
I have not compared a NS to NcStar, but some time I will, just for the "exercise".  I paid $113.00 for one, taxes included.  While it has some "issues", it is not the worst scope I have ever owned or seen, including some much higher dollar scopes.  There are some who really like the NS's, some who don't.  The only person I personally know who had one got rid of it for an NcStar and he is happy.  I've read reviews comparing it, unfavorably, to BSA, I've seen reviews comparing it, favorably, to Nikon, Bushnell, even Conquest.  For me, the "jury" is still out.  But I'll let you know how it compares to the NcStar...

Bigdave View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2009 at 20:46
I've had a few friends buy NCstar scopes to put on .22's and .223's, but we've never been able to get them to focus. The crosshairs on 8 diferen't scopes I've seen from them would never solidify into view no mater how much focus adjustment we did.
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2009 at 02:12
I own a couple of Nighteaters and was fortunate enough to be able to return an expensive one. In my opinion the 3-9x42 and 3.5-10x42 Nighteaters are about on par with Simmons' ProHunter line.

The gunshop I've done business with for 30 years talked me into a 4-16x44 w/SF Nighteater for a new Tikka T3 Lite in 300WM. The short eye relief left me battered and after three rounds I removed the scope. I replaced it with a Burris 3-10x40 Signature Select and I'm much happier. Anyway I moved the 4-16 N-S over to one of my 22 target rifles but the parallax was way off at 50m even with side focus so I sent it in for repair. Dunno maybe I just got a bad one.

I got the replacement a couple of months later but haven't bothered to mount it yet. Maybe on the 22 I'm building up for silhouette shooting, but more than likely I'll ebay it and buy a Weaver V16.

Before I realized how much I'd trouble I'd have with the 4-16x44 I invested in 6-24x56 Nighteater for a varmint rifle. This was the single worst scope I've ever used. From a well shaded bench using maximum magnification I was unable to make out the bullseye at 200m. I returned it and replaced it with with a Bushnell 4200 in 6-24x50 and low and behold the bullseye is clear as can be. Dunno maybe I just got a bad one.

I have a 3.5-10x42 w/SF Nighteater that I took off a new Howa rifle (replaced by a Nikon Team Primos) and now use it on one of my 22s. It works well enough but gets a bit cloudy at 10x. Anyway I'll keep it until I can afford something better. Perhaps a Weaver RV9. Dunno maybe I just got a bad one.

I had a 3-9x42 Nighteater that came with another Howa rifle but I ebayed it unused.

What I will give them is nice people on the US support line.

What I suggest to people on a tight budget is Weaver's V or K series. For those with a bit more money Nikon's Monarch and Bushnell's Elite 4200 line.

Edited by sholling - November/25/2009 at 02:27
NRA, SAF, & CRPA life member
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. ;)
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2009 at 08:03
Originally posted by Bigdave Bigdave wrote:

I've had a few friends buy NCstar scopes to put on .22's and .223's, but we've never been able to get them to focus. The crosshairs on 8 diferen't scopes I've seen from them would never solidify into view no mater how much focus adjustment we did.

Not a scope I would recommend.  All my "issues" with it are focus related, but different than your description.  Won't go into it here, it is complicated.  I bought mine because it was cheap and had some features I wanted to check out.  Glass is better than I expected, but not exceptional.  My advice is BUYER BEWARE...

As for the NS, Sholling's experiences seem to be typical of the "Nighteater" line.  I've seen it suggested that they are a chinese product.  The Diamond series, which "Slap" speaks of, appears to be the "top of the line", all parts made and assembled in Japan.  They have another line, that I can't remember the name of, that appears to be about on par with the NcStar and others of that "ilk".  I would very much like to try out the 10-50.  Personally, I kind of like the big hand wheel, but would HAVE to have a leather cover made for it...

sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2009 at 08:12
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

They have another line, that I can't remember the name of, that appears to be about on par with the NcStar and others of that "ilk".

That would be the Gold Crown line. Some European airgunners swear by them the same way some swear by low-end BSAs. But I think just as many swear at them.
NRA, SAF, & CRPA life member
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. ;)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic