OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

What scope for Rem R5 mil spec .308

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote warfrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What scope for Rem R5 mil spec .308
    Posted: November/24/2009 at 08:12

I'm about to pick up my new rifle and I was hoping you all could give me your .02 on what you would choose.  I will use it for deer hunting in North FL, South GA mostly. I want to be able to pick off a varmint at 300 or more too if the opportunity presented itself. I also want a scope that is great in low light.  From what I've read on here, Zeiss seems to be the way to go? I'm open to all suggestions...BTW- I'm willing to spend some money to get a good scope but I don't want to have more in the scope than I do in the gun - lol (though, that's what I've always been told...better to have a great scope with a good gun than vice versa) either way...what do you all think?  THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2009 at 08:24
Well, with a rifle like that, you definitely want optics that will give you the ability to use everything the rifle is capable of.  While your stated intention is hunting, that is a tactical rifle, touted to be one of the most accurate out of the box ever made.  I've not used one, but would certainly like to have one.  IOR 2-12, Zeiss Victory Diavari 2.5-10  with target knobs would be excellent choices.  The Zeiss, while a bit more expensive, will serve all your requirements for a long time...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2009 at 17:34
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2009 at 17:45
I keep forgetting about those... nice scope all the way around.  Good glass, good adjustment range...

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2009 at 18:21

What would I put on that is priced about the same as the rifle or a tad less:

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - November/26/2009 at 19:35

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2009 at 19:52

HENSOLDT...

2nd Trijicon.

3rd NF/IOR/(PREMIER have had issues with so not on my top of the list and don't want to get into on here since everyone is in love with them so dearly)

suggest power from 3-5 low and 12-20 high

some critters can be covered/concealed at 300yrds so that is why the higher power for me...

Edited by 338LAPUASLAP - November/24/2009 at 19:53
No one
warfrat View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote warfrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2009 at 19:18

leaning towards a Zeiss Conquest 4.5x14x 44 or 50 at this point...wondering if I should go with the 44 or 50 and also if I should get the Rapid Z reticle or not?

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2009 at 19:33
The Conquest is a very good scope, but not the same quality as the Diavari.  You are trading magnification for visual quality, not a lot, but some.  
As for 44 vs 50... depends on weight, size differential, and price.  Twilight factors (at highest powers) are 24.8 vs 26.5, respectively and relative brightness is 9.9 vs 12.8, respectively.  Not big differences.  Since you are talking about Zeiss for both, I would suspect overall light transmission would be just about identical.  To me, it would be pretty much a wash...

Unless you are hunting under a crescent moon...

Edited by Kickboxer - November/26/2009 at 19:41

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2009 at 19:43
The Rapid Z1000 is perfectly matched to .308 supposedly but Im not sure which bullet.  I dont think there is much difference between  44 and 50.  I dont mind a 50 mm objective.  Just remember when it gets dark and you dial the power down you will need to make some corrections regarding where to hold because with second focal plane reticles they are designed to be used at the highest power, so wiht this the center that doesnt change -500yds is the point that would always hold true zero and you could dial in correction from there.  I think Rifledude has one and likes it.  
Zeiss 4.5-14x50 Conquest Rifle Scope Rapid Z 1000 Zeiss 4.5-14x50 Conquest Rifle Scope
Stock # - 5214909973
  • Matte
  • Rapid Z 1000
  • 1"
  • Side Focus
  • Target Knobs
  • Etched Glass
  • 2nd Plane
$924.95     

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - November/26/2009 at 19:43

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2009 at 20:31
the 4.5x14 z800 is a very good combination with  this rifle, the z1000 reticle is set for bullets in the g7 bc catagory around .325, between 155 grs, and 190 grs with a velocity range of 2500 to 2700 fps. this is all their on line computer will handle, but if you go to JBM calculator you can mess with any combination you want. the conquest or a ss 3x9 would be my choice,
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2009 at 20:47
Very good looking setup there, Dale.  

LuckyDawg View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuckyDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2009 at 23:35
Hello! Newby here aka lurker aka... new Rem. 5R owner in .308!
GREAT site... informative and helpful people here, awesome!

Warfrat raised a great question... at least for me it is a great question! Which scope?  Thank you Warfrat...I am no longer a lurker! Dale, sweet set up!

Any other options under or near $1000? Thanks and not trying to hijack your post Warfrat. Just figured you could use some company here! LOL
Thanks again and seriously this site is a godsend to me with my NO-ledge of scopes.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic