OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Optic Reviews and Tests > Member's Tests and Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vortex Kaibab 15x56 and Swarovski SLCneu 15x56

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vortex Kaibab 15x56 and Swarovski SLCneu 15x56
    Posted: December/07/2009 at 04:11
Vortex Kaibab 15x56 and Swarovski SLC 15x56 Binoculars

Technically speaking, this started a while back when Vortex asked me if I am interested in reviewing their new Kaibab 15x56 binoculars and I politely declined.  The reasoning for that was simple: I like to compare products to their competition, rather than review standalone products.  "Big Eyes" are generally not my cup of tea, so I really had nothing to compare it to.  The bad part was that I really liked this binocular when I looked at it during SHOT show and wanted a chance to play with it. Now, if I were to compare the Kaibab to something, it would have to be the current "king of the hill" in the world of Big Eyes: a similarly configured Swaro SLC, which was the design target for the Kaibab.  Luckily, SWFA has stepped up and allowed me to borrow a Swaro SLC 15x56 from the Samplelist.

Here is the short version: 
Both are exceptionally nice binoculars.  Swaro has a slight edge as far as pure image quality.  However, the Vortex is more user friendly owing to its longer eye relief and, arguable, better eyecups.  Once price comes into the conversation (and Swaro is appreciably more expensive), this becomes a difficult choice.  Unless you wear glasses, that is.  Then the choice is easy, go awith the Vortex.  When wearing contacts I preferred the Swaro.  When wearing glasses I opted for the Vortex every time.

Now for the long version.

Just about any 15x56 binocular is going to be fairly massive. It has to be.  Here are some basic specs:

Vortex Kaibab 15x56Swarovski SLC Neu 15x56
Weight, ounces4445.5
Height, inches7.78.47
Width, inches5.75.04
Field of View, ft @1000 yards225231
Close focus, ft2326
Interpupillary Distance, mm60 - 7459 - 76
Eye Relief, mm17.413

Both are massive binoculars.  Based on the numbers, there isn't much to differentiate the two: Swaro has a touch more field of view, while Vortex has more eyerelief.  Visually, Vortex looks a bit slimmer, but overall design is quite different between the two.  Swaro has the diopter adjustment on the center knob, while Vortex has one on the right barrel.  Also, the eyecups on the Vortex looks positively massive next to the Swar
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2009 at 16:15
Very nice, thorough review, Ilya!  Thanks for posting!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2009 at 16:36
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
brocknroller View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brocknroller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2009 at 22:16
Thanks for that very detailed review, Ilya.

And for posting the pix. Wow! The Swaro is the size of Texas. :-)

One thing I would like to know is if the low-dispersion HD glass in the Vortex made a noticeable difference in controlling the amount of chromatic aberration, particularly on targets set against a high contrast background.

At 15x, I would expect the HD glass to make a difference. Unless you happen to be one of those lucky guys who doesn't see chromatic aberration!

Thanks.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2009 at 23:25
Originally posted by brocknroller brocknroller wrote:

Thanks for that very detailed review, Ilya.

And for posting the pix. Wow! The Swaro is the size of Texas. :-)

One thing I would like to know is if the low-dispersion HD glass in the Vortex made a noticeable difference in controlling the amount of chromatic aberration, particularly on targets set against a high contrast background.

At 15x, I would expect the HD glass to make a difference. Unless you happen to be one of those lucky guys who doesn't see chromatic aberration!

Thanks.

There was a little Chromatic Aberration in both binoculars.  I did not see a whole lot of practical difference between them in that regard.  I suspect that both use some sort of extra low dispersion glass in their objective lens systems.

As a general comment, if you are talking about minimizing CA, "HD glass" is a misnomer. 

ILya
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2009 at 13:18
Great info Ilya, always welcome your great reviews.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2009 at 09:30
Excellent info Ilya (as usual).  Thanks for your time and effort.  Are the Kaibab's Japanese, Chinese, or what?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2009 at 13:00
Originally posted by JGRaider JGRaider wrote:

Excellent info Ilya (as usual).  Thanks for your time and effort.  Are the Kaibab's Japanese, Chinese, or what?

Japanese, to the best of my knowledge.

ILya
Tranan View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tranan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2009 at 18:22
Very happy to read your review. It brought a little bit of light in some areas that were still dark and reinforces once again an old opinion about the value of a Vortex.
It's always good when the germans get some competition.Excellent
CHARLIE DON'T SURF!
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2009 at 18:48
Did you try the "kicking around the parking lot" test???
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2009 at 18:51
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Did you try the "kicking around the parking lot" test???

That is something I generally try not to do with $1k+ binoculars.

ILya
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2011 at 17:49
Here's something that I came across recently, so I thought that I would pass it along to anyone who might find it interesting reading.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic