OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

night hunting hogs lowlight best set up

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skydogIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: night hunting hogs lowlight best set up
    Posted: December/12/2009 at 23:32
I have been night hunting wild pigs over the last 5 months under deperadation so can us spot lights if needed.  My delemia is that I need a good low power scope, with long eye reliefe for very short range shots in pure darkness (with a scope mounted red lensed spotlight, lit at the last second) but I would like to have really good light transmission for shooting in moonlight. So far I have a burris fulfield II 3X9 40 mm on my 30-06. I will actually increase the ambianet light by alot.  Is there any thing better in low light? For strictly starlight night, I am using Millet bucklighting 1.5x6 44mm with a small spot light on my 45-70.  It is great for fast target accusition but doesn't increase the ambiant light much. Most of the data I find is great for long range, but I really don't care about seeing my bullet holes at 300 yards. I just want to see pigs a 10-100 yards with a minimim of moonlight. Yes I have looked at night vision gear and determined $500 scopes are useless and $2,000-$13,000 is not in my comfort zone.  The bottom line is; what scope is the best in low light at short range (100 yards or less) for say $150-350?  By the way I have learned some hard lesons; 1) irons sights go black in low light 2) a semi auto rifle is of help as you can't see for a second shot through the smoke created from the first shot.  3) use big caliber, because you rarely have the time to wait for the classic kill shot. Once you put the light of them, you have about 1 second to get you shot or they are gone.
okc4956 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote okc4956 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2009 at 09:06
Man, I don't no much about low-light scopes, but that hog huntin' sounds fun! I'd think something with similar to the Burris with maybe a 30mm tube and larger objective would help but can't say for sure. I bet you get some answers here that will be better than this.

Have fun!
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2009 at 09:58
Man for those ranges and light conditions,I am thinking Aimpoint!!

11397Aimpoint CompC311421, Matte finish, 2MOA dot reticle, ring marks, medium height weaver style ring and battery included$515.00$299.95
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2009 at 10:18
 This is being used by a couple guys on this forum who hunt hogs at night, and they are really impressed with it. It is not an aiming device, but is used in conjunction with your scope to illuminate critters without spooking them.

skydogIII View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skydogIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2009 at 22:57
I could see how the laser light would allow you to take your time to get a nice shot once you can see the pigs. Are these guys attaching to their gun or is someone holding it by hand??? I have been using a simple scope mounted spot light that helps me locate the animals once I can hear them.  I'll have to looking into the aimpoint system as the previous guy mentioned. My real question is; what is a really good low light scope that has a 1.5 -2.0 setting.  The last pig shot at was in pure darkness and he was so close that was 3x was blurry and didn't get a kill shot.  But othertimes I'm 75 yards out and can see them with the naked eye.  In this case i can deal with a bulky scope, if it has the ratio of good low power and  good light transmission to price.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2009 at 23:26
http://swfa.com/Trijicon-1-4x24-Accu-Point-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P12888.aspx
10829 Trijicon 2x20 Compact Acog TA47-4, Matte finish, Amber cross hair reticle, with carry handle adapter, BAC $599.95

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2009 at 01:32
What is your price range?

ILya
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2009 at 06:38
Originally posted by skydogIII skydogIII wrote:

I could see how the laser light would allow you to take your time to get a nice shot once you can see the pigs. Are these guys attaching to their gun or is someone holding it by hand??? I have been using a simple scope mounted spot light that helps me locate the animals once I can hear them.  I'll have to looking into the aimpoint system as the previous guy mentioned. My real question is; what is a really good low light scope that has a 1.5 -2.0 setting.  The last pig shot at was in pure darkness and he was so close that was 3x was blurry and didn't get a kill shot.  But othertimes I'm 75 yards out and can see them with the naked eye.  In this case i can deal with a bulky scope, if it has the ratio of good low power and  good light transmission to price.

The Laser Genetics ND-3 comes with mounts that allow you to either attach it to your scope (with 1" tube), or to a picatinny rail.  This device will instantly improve the performance of any scope in low light or complete darkness.

As for a good low powered scope well suited for low light use, get the Trijicon Accupoint TR24 1-4X24.  It's a great scope!  It has a 30mm tube, so if you get the ND-3, you wouldn't be able to use the scope tube mount, but you still have the picatinny rail mounting option, depending on the rifle you have.  Some scope rings allow you to use a top ring with integral picatinny mount.  Contact the folks at SWFA for assistance on this, and they can help you select a mount that will work with the ND-3.

Edited by RifleDude - December/14/2009 at 06:41
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
1911man View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1911man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2009 at 09:37

I have been night hunting wild pigs over the last 5 months under deperadation so can us spot lights if needed.  My delemia is that I need a good low power scope, with long eye reliefe for very short range shots in pure darkness (with a scope mounted red lensed spotlight, lit at the last second) but I would like to have really good light transmission for shooting in moonlight. So far I have a burris fulfield II 3X9 40 mm on my 30-06. I will actually increase the ambianet light by alot.  Is there any thing better in low light? For strictly starlight night, I am using Millet bucklighting 1.5x6 44mm with a small spot light on my 45-70.  It is great for fast target accusition but doesn't increase the ambiant light much. Most of the data I find is great for long range, but I really don't care about seeing my bullet holes at 300 yards. I just want to see pigs a 10-100 yards with a minimim of moonlight. Yes I have looked at night vision gear and determined $500 scopes are useless and $2,000-$13,000 is not in my comfort zone.  The bottom line is; what scope is the best in low light at short range (100 yards or less) for say $150-350?  By the way I have learned some hard lesons; 1) irons sights go black in low light 2) a semi auto rifle is of help as you can't see for a second shot through the smoke created from the first shot.  3) use big caliber, because you rarely have the time to wait for the classic kill shot. Once you put the light of them, you have about 1 second to get you shot or they are gone.

I do a LOT of night hunting for hogs here it TX where it is legal year round. I've shot over 120 YTD, with at least of them being after dark.

I think I've tried just about every scope that is remotely suitable for night hunting and here is what I have come up with. You MUST have an illuminated reticle that is crisp (especially for moonlight hunting), 6-8x is all the magnifcation you need, scope MUST gather light well. Here are the ones I have found to work listed in order of best performance.

Trijicon Accupoint 2.5-10x56 crosshair/green dot (by far the very best low light scope I have used)
Burris Fullfield Euro 30 2.5-10x50 LRS (duplex/red dot)
Bushnell 4200 Elite 2.5-10x50 Illum #4
Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x40 crosshair/green dot
Zeiss Victory 2.5-10x50 Illum (optics are great, but illum dot is not crisp)
Simmons AETEC Master Series 2.8-10x44 Illum (inexpensive scope, but I have had good luck with it)

Here is the light set-up I use http://www.wilsoncombat.com/h_hog2.asp I have found the key is to illuminate the hog slowly and when they are not facing you. I turn my light on with it aimed at the ground about half way between me and the hog, then slowly rise it up to fully illuminate. The majority of the time they will not spook and once you get  them lit you can watch them all night if the wind is good. Red lights are not bright enough, I can place a precise neck shot out to 100yds with my light set-up.

Bill Wilson
www.wilsoncombat.com
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2009 at 09:57
I run an ND3 on an AR platform (just switched from 6.8SPC to .308, want to put them down faster) and a suppressor (no smoke obscuring the view.)

For shooting hogs that close, consider the Vortex Strikefire, it is a dot scope with the option of red or green dot.  For really short shots, you want 1X, both eyes open.

For an illuminated, magnified, hog scope, it doesn't get much better than Trijicon, their illumination system is always one and reticles are quick to acquire.

If you want to stick with your current lighting scheme, I'd say get the Vortex.  If yo move to the ND3 or something similar, a nice 1-4 would be perfect.

Here's my last rig (6.8) and the last hog it took.  He's bigger than he looks!

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
skydogIII View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skydogIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2009 at 17:03
This is some great info.  You guys have some nice gear!  I don't think I can use a suppressor in California, so right there that removes the advantage of an auto for me. I am now using a 45/70 that should drop a pig from about any angel on the first shot. So I think I'll remove the red lens and check out the scopes mentioned above and/or a variation  with a lower setting for the close range work.  My current Milliat has everything in theory, lit ret. 1.5-6x44 and good eye relief.  I just doesn't have nearly the light transmission of my Burris.  I may go with the Aetec or look for used higher end scope.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2009 at 17:29
I have a 45/70, they do hit light a train, makes a pleasing sound on impact - you defintiely know if you it it.

Be advised, pigs is mean and tough, 1 round might not be enough, depending on where you hit it.

What is wrong with the Millett setup?
skydogIII View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skydogIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2009 at 21:19
Yes, I have learned the are tough. I tried 44 mag carbine auto loader. I shot a big one in the rear; what a waste of ammo and not very humane. I even had trouble with a 30-06 dropping them quickly. So the 45/70 a fairly fast acting lever gun and I should be ready to shoot again by the time the smoke clears.  My only problem with the Millet set up is that it doesn't increase the ambiant light like the burris does. So moonlight only shooting is limited. It is fine when using the spotlight except if there is any fog. Would anything reduce glare on slightly foggy nights?
KB0WZL View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KB0WZL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2009 at 20:58
Hello guys

Pig hunting is one of things in life that I love.  I go to texas a couple times a yr,  near Freer and always kill a few.   I have shot them at 10 ft to 400 yards.  in day and night.  I will agree with the one poster that night is best.  we use PVS 14 on the TRS scope at night and makes easy shots at full moon.  

I DMS works well on my AR10, quick and works in all light.  

If you have the June  09 SOF magazine I am featured in a story about SOF going pig hunting. 

Hogs are a lot of fun to hunt and good sport.   we smoke the meat and its very good. 

Good shooting

Steve
Millett Bushnell
Steve

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2009 at 09:33
I'd say bump up to a Trijicon 1-4 or go with a dot site (though not a red dot, if your spotlight is red.)

Again, the Vortex Strikefire is in your price range and is a decent optic.  It is not the brightest, but is a "both eyes open" site.

I thoroughly agree on the NV issue: $500 is worthless.  I am getting closer to biting the proverbial bullet and buying a PVS22 to mount forward of my scope: if you're gonna do it, do it right.

Get the Vortex or consider saving for a little longer and jumping up to the Trijicon Accupoint 1-4, it is a much better optic than the Millett in almost all ways, and the self-illuminated reticle is ideal for hog hunting.
skydogIII View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skydogIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2009 at 22:02
I am coming to the conclusion that I will need to spend alot money to get enough improvement in my current setup to make a change worth while. Maybe one of the mini spotlights mentioned above would be a better investment.  Are you guys using the light strictly for bullet placement or for locating the pigs?  I have been using my spotlight for both. On very low light nights, wait until I am can hear the pigs and have idea of where they are and then light up the area, and hope there is a chance for a shot.  If there is just a bit of moonlight I can see their movment and then just light them up for a second or less for a shot.  I can't justify a NV scope at this point.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2009 at 22:11

I am coming to the conclusion that I will need to spend alot money to get enough improvement in my current setup to make a change worth while. Maybe one of the mini spotlights mentioned above would be a better investment.  Are you guys using the light strictly for bullet placement or for locating the pigs?  I have been using my spotlight for both. On very low light nights, wait until I am can hear the pigs and have idea of where they are and then light up the area, and hope there is a chance for a shot.  If there is just a bit of moonlight I can see their movment and then just light them up for a second or less for a shot.  I can't justify a NV scope at this point.

No need to get NV.  Save some money and just get the ND-3 laser mentioned on the previous page.  The beam diameter is adjustable from about the size of a half dollar to over 10'.  There is no stray light outside the beam.  You use it to light up the critter so you have a clear view of your reticle through the scope in darkness.  I only turn it on right before I take a shot.  So far, I've used it on quite a few feral hogs.  It hasn't spooked any critters for me, and the view through your scope using it is better than any NV I've seen.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2009 at 07:36
Ted recommended the ND-3 for me and I got it, good piece of gear for hog hunting.

I haven't tried Bill Wilson's trick of turning the light on away from the hogs and slowly moving it to them, maybe that works well, worth a try.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2009 at 10:22
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

I haven't tried Bill Wilson's trick of turning the light on away from the hogs and slowly moving it to them, maybe that works well, worth a try.

I haven't even needed to do that.  I simply turn on the laser directly at the hogs and kill them.  To this point, they haven't so much as flinched by having the laser on them.  Has worked every time for me. 
Ted

1911man View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1911man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2009 at 19:08
My ND-3 crapped out the first time I used it, like it has a short in it, you can shake it and it will come back on, but won't reliably stay on..................

Wanted to test it so see if in fact it doesn't spook hogs, but it hasn't worked reliably enough fo me to hunt with it.

One thing I did notice though, you can't shoot nearly as far as you can with my white light, but probably far enough for hog hunting. I try to make precision neck shots and on a pitch dark night it only gave me enough light to do that out to 60yds or so. Since most of my shats are normally under that it's no big deal.

When I get it back from repair I'll give it a try.
Bill Wilson
www.wilsoncombat.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic