OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

night hunting hogs lowlight best set up

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2009 at 10:13
I've killed a half dozen hogs at 100 yards and slightly beyond with my ND-3.  I'd say I could probably make a shot with it up to about 150 yards no problem, but I haven't been able to confirm because most of my hog hotspots are too thick to permit shots much further than 75 yards.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2009 at 18:34
Boy that sounds like a lot of fun.  I agree with Bill and Ted the primo set up would be a 2.5-10x56 Trijicon Accupoint with an ND-3 laser and a white light with rear momentary switch.  The 45-70 should do the job nicely.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
1911man View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1911man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2009 at 20:10
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

I've killed a half dozen hogs at 100 yards and slightly beyond with my ND-3.  I'd say I could probably make a shot with it up to about 150 yards no problem, but I haven't been able to confirm because most of my hog hotspots are too thick to permit shots much further than 75 yards.

Are you going for neck shots or shoulder shots? Mine just doesn't illuminate well enough for me to be comfortable taking a precise neck (spine) shot past 60yds or so. I was trying it with a Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x40.

The ND-3 is off for repair today, we'll see what their warranty/service is like.
Bill Wilson
www.wilsoncombat.com
skydogIII View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skydogIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2009 at 14:51
This is what I am currently using:
http://www.burnhambrothers.com/product.asp?productID=18662
It gives me 75-100 yards view depending if I use the red filter.  I have also got pigs with a larger unit sold by cabelas, but if feels clumbsy and cable going to a remote battery makes the hunting less fun.  I even got the cable caught in action once.  Your smaller lights may spoke the pigs less.  So I got one more pig this morning, but with some day light.  I would have had a second but I had the scope on too much magnification to zero in on a fast running animal.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2009 at 13:21
Originally posted by 1911man 1911man wrote:

Are you going for neck shots or shoulder shots? Mine just doesn't illuminate well enough for me to be comfortable taking a precise neck (spine) shot past 60yds or so. I was trying it with a Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x40.

Sorry it took me so long to answer your question, Bill.  I was spending time with family over Christmas.

It depends on the situation.  The short answer is both.  Since I'm out to kill as many hogs as possible to try to control their population, regardless of whether I plan to use the meat or not, I take whatever shot is presented to me.  If I'm taking a shot at a single hog, I usually shoot it in the head.  I can easily take head shots out to 85 - 100 yards with my ND-3, with the beam adjusted to about 24" diameter or so (smaller is brighter).  If there are several hogs in a group, I take shoulder shots because it's easier for rapid follow-up on multiple hogs.  The coloration of the hogs also contribute to how far I can shoot them with the ND-3, lighter colored hogs being easier to see at further distances.  I too have been using my ND-3 with the Trijicon Accupoint 3-9X40 with Amber triangle reticle.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2009 at 15:54
danged Bill, I was about to order one of those ND3s in the next few days

I have one of Bill's weapon mounted lights but haven't used it
with my TR24 and the red/green LED light setup I have from TExasboars, 75 yards is about max to make a GOOD hit
could stretch that out a little further with a higher power scope

that little light WC has I feel from the testing I have done in the field behind my house I could easily take 100 yard shots with a 3-8 Accupoint

You still are using the Night Vision stuff right Bill?

"green daylight" is what I call it

I am ready to quit deer hunting and get back to hogs!
che View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote che Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2010 at 00:40
Liking the trijicon 2.5-10 idea for close in low magnification, but also like the turrets on the 5-20... Anyone have a picture of the 2.5-10 turrets with the caps off? Easy enough to adjust with fingers or would you say go for the 5-20? Thanks!
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2010 at 16:41

The ND3 is the way to go, you may well be happy enough with it that a change in optics is not warranted. 

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=23434&PID=313007#313007

Edited by neilbilly - May/10/2010 at 17:00
If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic