OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Shooting
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Semi-expensive rifle + cheap scope = tack driver?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Semi-expensive rifle + cheap scope = tack driver?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrBackJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Semi-expensive rifle + cheap scope = tack driver?
    Posted: December/17/2009 at 12:19
This is a semi-review of the 700 5R Milspec and Millett Buck Gold 4-16x56.

First, some history. I am a 21 year old Army Reservist. This is my second long range set-up. My other one is a 6.5 grendel ar I decided to build about a year ago.  I have shot my 6.5 at 600 yards before but not any farther. About a month ago, I was in a minor motorcycle accident. I put my bike down riding over some oil slick roads going about 25-30 mph. The money I was going to origionally use on a new leupold, I spent on a new fairing for my bike and riding boots (really screwed up my feet in the crash, even though I was wearing my old pair of desert combat boots.) I did a few days of research on scopes around the $300 mark. I found some info on Millett, and though to myself that this was the perfect scope. I was origionally going to go with a TRS-1 4-16x50 but changed my mind because of the the large magnification wheel. I then found some info on the Buck Gold. I had asked a few questions about if a 56mm scope would clear the top of my barrel, and got two very good answers from Kickboxer and KB0WZL. I had hesitated a little, just imagining what I would do if it didn't fit.

The scope arrived about two weeks ago, but it would be another week before I would finally pass the ncis check and pick up the rifle from the FFL.  My first impression when I unboxed the scope was the high quality of packing and how large the scope was!! The quality was on par of my Leupold Mk 2. I took the scope to the range by itself to test quality of optics. The light gathered by the huge 56mm objective is amazing. The view was very clear looking at a 8" gong at 600 yards. I had a guy at the range down few lanes from me with a Leupold Mk4 laughing his ass off when he saw me with a scope but no gun. We got into a conversation and compared scopes. I let him look though mine first, and he actually complimented the scope for its price range. I dialed his scope to 14x and mine to 14x to compare them both. While the leupold was of higher quality, the Buck Gold was very close in terms of quality.  My motto in terms of scopes has been to pay as much for the scope as the rifle, but not any more.

I went to pick up the rifle last Friday and the first thing I did was to make sure it fit on a pair of Leupold high rings and two-piece base. It fit perfectly! About .25cm clearance with the scope cover on the sun shade. I boresighted the scope from home with a laserlyte kryptonyte, grabbed a few boxes of walmart ammo and recently loaded 155 scenars, a drop chart and headed off to the range to break in the rifle.

i was using some heavy ammo to break it in, 180gr fmj. While breaking in, I also made sure the scope would hold zero. After 40 rounds the scope was still aiming true. I then went down a few lanes to the 600 yard lanes. Delicately placed a 155gr scenar into the chamber and adjusted the scope up. At first, the scope wouldnt adjust for elevation or wind. I realised the scope had locking turrets for the adjustment. I think my hair is turning blondeBig Smile The clicks were very easily felt, and audible through the ear muffs. I adjusted for elevation and wind and fired. Miss. The round was about a foot and half above the gong. I re-adjusted and fired. Hit, center mass. I went on to put 50 rounds of 155gr scenars through the barrel before I was done for the day. The scope held true and did not move after the 50 rounds. The rifle was shooting about a 5in group at 600 yards, right under moa. I was very satisfied, not only in the scope and rifle, but also that it stabilized the 155gr scenars perfectly.

Here is the rifle and scope right before bore-sighting. I was so excited, I forgot to bring my camera to the range.

lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2009 at 13:30
Nice setup, thanks for including pictures.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2009 at 16:09
That is a very nice looking rig.  I am very glad it is working well for you.  Please keep us informed of your progress with it.  

BTW, I AM blonde... did that once with locking turrets, as well...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2009 at 16:16
Nice setup.  hope it holds up for you.  
0311GRUNT View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 0311GRUNT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2009 at 21:18
I never would have thought this thing would be that good......You really think its as rugged as the Leo?
You cant hit what you cant see
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2009 at 23:30
Nice review and great pix. I have the same rifle and am looking forward to trying it out soon. Betweeen work and travel just haven't had time to get to the range yet.
Reaction time is a factor...
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2009 at 01:12
Thanks for including the photos - nice rig.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Fighterpilot View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fighterpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2010 at 22:49
I have an opportunity to pick up a Millet Buck Gold 4 x 16 x 56 scope, new in box, for around $169.00.  This opportunity won't last long and I really don't need another scope; however, I'd like some input guys as to whether or not getting this scope at this price would be worth the investment. I'm sure I'll find something in my gun safe to mount the damned thing on. Thanks for some feedback.
So many guns, so little time.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2010 at 22:58
NIB for the price it is a bargain. If it is indeed in new condition. Check to be sure as I doubt the warranty would extend to second owner.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fighterpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2010 at 23:18
It is new. I work at a retailer and can purchase the scope from them for the above price with my employee discount. Just didn't want to waste my money on a product that wasn't worth it at any price. If it is a reliable product, then it would be well worth the price. I'm just trying to get some feedback here on the quality and reliability of the scope from some guys that may have had some experience with it.
Thanks for the reply.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2010 at 16:30
Originally posted by DrBackJack DrBackJack wrote:

About a month ago, I was in a minor motorcycle accident. I put my bike down riding over some oil slick roads going about 25-30 mph. 

The guy who taught me to ride taught me the most valuable of motorcycle lessons.

2 kinds of motorcycle riders: those who "have" laid a bike down and those who "will" lay a bike down.  Only 2 kinds.

My motto in terms of scopes has been to pay as much for the scope as the rifle, but not any more. 

My wife wishes I had that motto. Alas, it ain't to be.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fighterpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2010 at 17:41

Well since I don't have the rifle yet, and just was buying the scope for some future project I might put together,  I can't follow your reasoning. Besides, since I have a few $1,000 rifles, I can assure you it is not necessary to top them with $1,000 scopes in order to assemble an accurate and dependable rifle.

Was just asking a question about this scope at this price..nothing more or less.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2010 at 18:11
No one took it otherwise.

Glad the scope is working for you.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
55spartan View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55spartan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 03:40
very nice
55spartan View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55spartan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 04:16
I have put two bikes down, both involving gravel
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

About a month ago, I was in a minor motorcycle accident. I put my bike down riding over some oil slick roads going about 25-30 mph. 

The guy who taught me to ride taught me the most valuable of motorcycle lessons.

2 kinds of motorcycle riders: those who "have" laid a bike down and those who "will" lay a bike down.  Only 2 kinds.

My motto in terms of scopes has been to pay as much for the scope as the rifle, but not any more. 

My wife wishes I had that motto. Alas, it ain't to be.

TheDangler313 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDangler313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2010 at 12:15
What kind of motorcycle do you have?
223rob224 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 223rob224 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 21:15
Hi had this same scope too worked well for a while until the power ring let go 300 ultra mag, company replaced it no questions asked. Put the new one on a 243 been fine since.
When it comes to quality, hell leopold had cross hair breakage on their sniper scopes for a while, then replaced them and fixed the problem. Oh yes and for Mr. texas, up here in the great free north, we would never put a bushnell on a true sniper rifle, mabe us optics, or king optics just to be canadian loyal, god help us not a bushnell they mite send us contacts with different wearing and cleaning directions, but to be honest they are ok for and over priced for-en scope, its just that everyone cant afford a trully good scope, and 80 percent of the brands out there are just that average. Well thats my 2 cents, what the heck.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic