OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Sniper In the Crosshairs, History channel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sniper In the Crosshairs, History channel
    Posted: December/21/2009 at 11:35
DId anybody else catch the History channel Sunday night late 12/20.  back to back episodes of "Sniper-in the crosshairs". 
Episode around midnight EST critiqued Carlos Hathcock. 

They detailed his Famous thru-the-scope shot killing the NVM Sniper known as the Cobra.
It even had video clips of Hatcock himself saying he shot him through the scope at 300 yds not the off eye.  Same show duplicated the feat at closer range.  They destroyed two current design variable scopes trying but failed.  Then they used an Acog which they claimed is very similar in basic design to the scope the Cobra using having only 3 lenses.
This time the bullet passed all the way through the scope and the manican's head.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2009 at 11:36
that was awesome i watched it all, that canadian sniper's 1.5 mile c/k was a wow moment.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2009 at 11:56
Pretty good show. I hate to say it, but if cobra would of had a better scope the story might have been different. I'm so glad he didn't. The Canadain shot was a great one, but I liked the 1600yd shot on the guy at the hospital. Darn good for what he was shootin.
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2009 at 12:01
Definitely some cool stuff!  Also was seriously impressed with the 600yd c/k shots on the running/sprinting insurgients where he only had about 2 seconds to work with....very impressive!  that there is some shooting! 

Hathcock guarding the river crossing in the middle of the night using only a light gathering scope and his semi were able to shoot 16 out of 16 in 30 seconds...damn impressive!

Edited by budperm - December/21/2009 at 12:03
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2009 at 12:02
that sniper that took out three insurgents with a single .50cal round was awesome too.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2009 at 12:04
Yeah that was!  API...wonder how it does on trees?   DAN?????
--Thomas Jefferson

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2009 at 12:11
I also watched a show on the military channel training snipers for all the allied troups.  The two things that imprressed me there were them teaching the sniper to reduce their firing loophole to little bigger than the bullet size, wow shooting across teh room through a 1.5" hole at targets 100-500 yds out!  Talk about ultimate concealment!  The other was them aerial platform sniping from helicopters!  it was like that texas wild boar hunt without wasting any bullets!
--Thomas Jefferson

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2009 at 12:22
Originally posted by budperm budperm wrote:

I also watched a show on the military channel training snipers for all the allied troups.  The two things that imprressed me there were them teaching the sniper to reduce their firing loophole to little bigger than the bullet size, wow shooting across teh room through a 1.5" hole at targets 100-500 yds out!  Talk about ultimate concealment!  The other was them aerial platform sniping from helicopters!  it was like that texas wild boar hunt without wasting any bullets!

I saw this too very interesting.  Also the shooting through a scope... didn't mythbusters do that once?
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2009 at 12:25
Not having seen the show, I don't know how much they talked about what happened to some of those Canadian snipers later on, but it wasn't pretty. I remember reading this article a couple years ago about it: http://www.macleans.ca/canada/national/article.jsp?content=20060515_126689_126689
Reaction time is a factor...
cbm View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2009 at 12:29
I didn't catch all of it but did catch a bunch.........man that was an awesome show !! Too much cool stuff to list !!!
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2009 at 12:32
Originally posted by jonoMT jonoMT wrote:

Not having seen the show, I don't know how much they talked about what happened to some of those Canadian snipers later on, but it wasn't pretty. I remember reading this article a couple years ago about it: http://www.macleans.ca/canada/national/article.jsp?content=20060515_126689_126689

very interesting.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2009 at 13:23
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

Originally posted by budperm budperm wrote:

I saw this too very interesting.  Also the shooting through a scope... didn't mythbusters do that once?
Yeah both mythbusters and Kickboxer  have tried this shot several times with no success.  Neither were using the ACOG similar design scope though.  The newer designs scopes to date have always deflected or stopped the bullets.
--Thomas Jefferson

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2009 at 13:27
im 100% sure thats why it never worked for them. glass is hard.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2009 at 13:29
Originally posted by jonoMT jonoMT wrote:

Wow, what a disturbing read!  Canadian Military command should be totlally ashamed of themselves!  Sounds like a few desk jocky paperpushers heads need to roll!  We should have offered them instant citizenship and the Star and left the Can's idiots in charge looking like exactly what they are...political pussies!
--Thomas Jefferson

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2009 at 13:47
I just seasrched and found this...http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.com/index.cfm?PgNm=TCE&Params=M1ARTM0013087  As I expected would happens.... the Ombudsman covers the Militaries 'powers that be' ass, finding that no wrong was done to the Snipers.

If I was one of them, when they were finally allowed to recieve they Bronze Stars and presented with Canada's 'Mention in Dispatches' pin, I would have graciously accepted the Star and refused the Pin!
--Thomas Jefferson

Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2009 at 13:52
Often hear about justice denied, this is a terrible example of honour denied.  What a travesty.
God save the Empire!
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2009 at 14:13
Amen to the Dogger!
--Thomas Jefferson

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic