OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Best hunting binos in $500-$600 range?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alter jaeger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best hunting binos in $500-$600 range?
    Posted: December/30/2009 at 16:18
I'm looking for recommendations for the best deer hunting binos in the $500 - $600 price range.  I would like to consider the following criteria in making a decision:

1. good with eye glasses
2. great low light performance at dawn & dusk
3. good clarity to evaluate antlers
4. relatively waterproof /weather resistant - ability to handle rain and cold weather

I've been considering the Bushnell Elites (not the E2s) because there are deals to be had out there around $600.

I'd also be interested in recommendations from you hunters whether to get 8x or 10x.  My viewing situations are mix of in the woods and out in wide open spaces (I'm leaning to the 8x).

Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks, AJ
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2009 at 16:27
The Zen Rays have received excellent reviews, the vortex vipers are also pretty nice in the $500.00 range.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
spf2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spf2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2009 at 16:51

second that opinion on ZEN. Get ED2. SWFA has it for $370-$412.

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2009 at 18:26
Zen Rays
Tranan View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tranan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2009 at 18:34
You said "hunting binoculars" and the aspects you described will be answered very well by IOR BGA 7x40 and even better by Zeiss Hensoldt Marine 7x50. The IOR will probably be cheaper than your budget while the Zeiss will be around $600.
There is a whole bunch of other possibilities but these ones would be what I'd call: pure hunting binos.
CHARLIE DON'T SURF!
m_freeman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m_freeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2010 at 23:22
I started using the Zen ray 10x43 ED for hunting and scouting this year. No regrets at all far exceeds my expectations. If you buy the 10x might be a little tight for close in woods 7x better for that, if any range at all get the 10x. You will find your rifle scope the limiting factor in your optics setup not the ZR ED glass
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2010 at 10:05
No. 1 priority is "good with eyeglasses".  That pretty much rules out the Zen Rays for me.  They all have minimal eye relief, and the 10X43's are just inadequate.  I've found to really be comfortable, I need 18mm (this will be different for everybody).  Much less and I'm jamming them into my glasses.  Vortex Viper 8X42 would be good, or look at some good porro prism binocs.
No man on his deathbed ever said "I wish I'd made more money".
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2010 at 11:04
I read  someplace the large ocular diameter of the ZEN ED tends to increase the angle of the EP light cone, somewhat reducing the need for "longer" eye relief.  Don't rule them out for glasses without trying them out.  They work fine with sunglasses which typically fit further from the eye than prescription glasses.

Edited by Klamath - January/04/2010 at 11:06
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2010 at 09:05
Originally posted by mwyates mwyates wrote:

No. 1 priority is "good with eyeglasses".  That pretty much rules out the Zen Rays for me.  They all have minimal eye relief, and the 10X43's are just inadequate.  I've found to really be comfortable, I need 18mm (this will be different for everybody).  Much less and I'm jamming them into my glasses.  Vortex Viper 8X42 would be good, or look at some good porro prism binocs.

Did you actually look through them or just read the specs?  ( No offense, just wondering).  My neighbor who wears glasses looked through my 10x ED2 and all he said was "wow".  He owns the SLC and EL. 
SChunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SChunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2010 at 13:06
thumbs up for the zens--10x--sunglass wear and our season runs Aug 15-Jan 01 for whitetails--hard use here in SC--I have been thoroughly impressed.
matchetman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matchetman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2010 at 20:25
i just got a pair of vortex razors and couldnt be happier
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2010 at 22:44
I have a pair of Hawke Frontier ED 8x43 that work fine with glasses (Zen Ray is very similar in that regard, I am testing ED2 7x36 right now).

Alternatively, you can just get Vortex Razor in either 8x42 or 8.5x50 configuration.  There is a rebate on those right now, that will take down to your price range.  Both are excellent especially 8.5x50 (if you can put up with weight).

ILya
kingston View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2010 at 20:58
8x30 Steiner Hunting from SampleList if they still have them.  Light weight, tough, good glass.  I have Steiner 8x30 Tactical B.  The only difference is the reticle on the tacticals.  These are from the golden age of Steiner.  I do not know why they got rid of them.  Contact SWFA.  They always seemed to have these at super reasonable prices on the SList. 
davelandefeld View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davelandefeld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2010 at 18:37
Ditto on the Steiner Nighthunters in 8x30. When they came out with the XP model the price jumped a little and then they just kind of just disappeared.

One of the best things about the Steiners is the eyecups are shaped to your face and block out ambient light. They really are GREAT low light hunters.
It still holds true that man is most uniquely human when he turns obstacles into opportunities.
Eric Hoffer
kingston View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2010 at 18:55
Originally posted by davelandefeld davelandefeld wrote:

Ditto on the Steiner Nighthunters in 8x30. When they came out with the XP model the price jumped a little and then they just kind of just disappeared.

One of the best things about the Steiners is the eyecups are shaped to your face and block out ambient light. They really are GREAT low light hunters.

Dave,

I was talking about the Hunting, which was Steiner's top of the line sports bino prior to the the series that you reference.  It has reg, non-contoured eye cups, which would be better for the OP who wears glasses.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic