OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Assembly of Zeiss, Swarovski, Leica and S&B

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rkrasnic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Assembly of Zeiss, Swarovski, Leica and S&B
    Posted: December/30/2009 at 20:05
Hi all of you optics fans,

I wanted to ask a questions regarding those German and Austrian scopes mentioned above. I know that the ones sold in Europe are all made in the countries that the company is from but what about their scopes that are being sold here in US? Are all of their models being assembled in the US. Thank you
Spreading knowledge to masses
rkrasnic View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rkrasnic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2009 at 20:09
I wanted to add another question too- are those optics that are assembled here in the US any worse than the ones assembled in Europe? They are definitely cheaper ($) here in US but is there a drop in their quality? 
Spreading knowledge to masses
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2009 at 07:13

I would think that they are all made at the same place and then imported here.  The only way to know for sure is to call them or someone here may know and chime in.  Assembled in the US could only mean they are pacaged and the manuals are put in the box with a complete scope from overseas.  Quality wise I think its all the same.

tpcollins View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpcollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2009 at 07:23
I just  got a Swarovski AV3-9x36. On the box label and stamped under the eyepeice next to the serial number is "Assemble in USA".  Don't really know what this means but this scope is one damn fine looking piece of jewlery!
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2009 at 14:10

1" Swaros being assembled in the US must be a fairly new thing.  Mine say only "Made in Austria" on them, both on the scope and the boxes they came in.  All of their 30mm scopes are made in Austria, but I'm almost certain they get their glass from Schott in Germany.  S&B scopes are made entirely in Germany and Hungary.  Zeiss has had scopes assembled in the US for quite some time now.  Currently, their Conquest line is assembled here of German and Czech made components.  Prior to that, they had some 1" Diavari scopes assembled here.  Nightforce assembles their scopes in the US from optical components made in Japan, along with mechanical components made here.  Leupold and Burris don't even 100% make all of their products and components of their products in the US anymore.  Leupold does make and assemble most component parts of all their scopes in the US, but their glass is outsourced from Asia.  Burris has their Fullfield and maybe now other scope lines made in the Phillipines.  Most all the scope companies have some or all of their optics or component parts outsourced to other countries.

It's really becoming difficult to know where anything is made anymore, and manufacturers keep much of that information a secret.  Even when something says "made in __" on it, that doesn't necessarily mean that all or even most of the component parts are made in that country.  It may only mean it is assembled there, or that final assembly and QC is done there.  As far as quality is concerned, none of that really matters.  It's the design specifications and the quality standards of the company whose name is on the product, and how well they back up that product that matters.

It's a global economy, like it or not.

Edited by RifleDude - December/31/2009 at 14:21
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2009 at 14:16
On the second question, regarding quality, the european companies that have scopes assembled here, are putting out quality products here, too. They may not be quite as good as the ones assembled in europe, as they get the premium glass. The Zeiss Conquest is a prime example of this. The Conquest has MC coated glass that actually comes from Meopta. The Victory series that is made in Germany has Zeiss's own lenses that are T* coated. They are still an excellent scope, although optically not as good as their German counterparts.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic